DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Upholstered Dining Chairs (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/128627-upholstered-dining-chairs.html)

[email protected] November 9th 05 06:24 PM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

OK, so my wife has found these upholstered dining chairs at Restoration
Hardware that go for around $350 a pop. The chair legs are the only
exposed wood. Sure they're nice looking chairs, but I can't help but
think this would be a case where I could build for half the cost of
buying. Beyond of course my fear of upholstery.

Has anyone in this group built anything like this? Does anyone know of
a source for plans for an upholstered dining chair? It's a simple side
chair that would seem to be a reasonable undertaking.

Thanks,

Kevin

David November 9th 05 07:05 PM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

wrote:

OK, so my wife has found these upholstered dining chairs at Restoration
Hardware that go for around $350 a pop. The chair legs are the only
exposed wood. Sure they're nice looking chairs, but I can't help but
think this would be a case where I could build for half the cost of
buying. Beyond of course my fear of upholstery.

Has anyone in this group built anything like this? Does anyone know of
a source for plans for an upholstered dining chair? It's a simple side
chair that would seem to be a reasonable undertaking.

Thanks,

Kevin

I rarely find I save much money when woodworking. I do it for the fun
of it; not to save money. There's no way I've made $17,000 worth of
stuff yet--that's what I've spent on tools and wood, in round figures. :)

Dave

David November 9th 05 07:08 PM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

David wrote:

wrote:

OK, so my wife has found these upholstered dining chairs at Restoration
Hardware that go for around $350 a pop. The chair legs are the only
exposed wood. Sure they're nice looking chairs, but I can't help but
think this would be a case where I could build for half the cost of
buying. Beyond of course my fear of upholstery.

Has anyone in this group built anything like this? Does anyone know of
a source for plans for an upholstered dining chair? It's a simple side
chair that would seem to be a reasonable undertaking.

Thanks,

Kevin

I rarely find I save much money when woodworking. I do it for the fun
of it; not to save money. There's no way I've made $17,000 worth of
stuff yet--that's what I've spent on tools and wood, in round figures. :)

Dave

oops. I meant $15k

Case in point: I want to make a china cabinet, but to do it up good, I'd
like to use beveled edge glass in the doors and tempered glass shelves.
If I order beveled edge doors other than rectangular, the cost for the
glass alone is over $400...

Dave

Charles Spitzer November 9th 05 07:51 PM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

"David" wrote in message
. ..
David wrote:

wrote:

[...]

it's not hard to make your own bevels. you just need a $5k machine to do so.
you then go into the business of beveling for all your neighbors to make
back the investment. lol

current pricing is about $1/running inch for custom bevels.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Steve November 9th 05 08:48 PM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

wrote:
OK, so my wife has found these upholstered dining chairs at Restoration
Hardware that go for around $350 a pop. The chair legs are the only
exposed wood. Sure they're nice looking chairs, but I can't help but
think this would be a case where I could build for half the cost of
buying. Beyond of course my fear of upholstery.

Has anyone in this group built anything like this? Does anyone know of
a source for plans for an upholstered dining chair? It's a simple side
chair that would seem to be a reasonable undertaking.

Thanks,

Kevin

I happened to be looking back at December 2003 Fine Woodworking.
Excellent article about making upholstered chair pads. You could
probably apply the same ideas to the rest of the chair. You might be
able to order the article or a backcopy of that issue from Taunton if
you don't have/save the magazine.
Steve

[email protected] November 9th 05 10:31 PM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

Thanks Steve. I'll have a look. -Kevin

[email protected] November 9th 05 10:32 PM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

Well yeah I know that! :) I bought my table saw, jointer and planer
under the premise I'd be building custom electric guitars (for fun) and
furniture for our house. I'd probably be better off buying the chairs
and just stick to building the dining room table.

Kevin

[email protected] November 9th 05 10:34 PM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

And by 'yeah I know that' I meant that I'm far from recouping my tools
costs as well. :)

Steve November 11th 05 03:57 AM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

wrote:
Thanks Steve. I'll have a look. -Kevin

Ooops, that's the June 2003 issues (#163). Sorry.
Steve

J T November 11th 05 07:16 PM

Upholstered Dining Chairs

Wed, Nov 9, 2005, 12:48pm (EST-3) (Steve) doth
say:
snip Excellent article about making upholstered chair pads. snip

There's instructions online too, if you look. Or, you "could" go
to a library, and probably be inundated with information on upholstering
- your tax dollars at work.

JOAT
If it ain't broke, don't lend it.
- Red Green