Default Should I purchase this used 8" jointer & 15" planer???

Hello and thank you for reading this.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Delta DJ-20 8" Jointer and a Jet
JWP-15CS Planer from a homeowner. The seller said the jointer is about
6 years old and the planer is about 3 years old. He is the original
owner of both pieces. He will sell both of them to me for $1500 total.

I went to look at them today. They weren't under power at the time.
I'm going back later this week after he runs 220 power to the garage
again. Here's what I've seen so far:

Delta DJ-20 8" Jointer
--------------------------------
1. I used a straight edge (Woodcraft 24" - .002 tolerence) to
individually check the infeed and outfeed tables. The tables don't
seem to be warped, bowed, or have any dips that aren't within tolerence
(to me at least).

2. One possible problem is if the infeed and outfeed tables are in the
same plane. I put both tables at the same height and used the
straightedge centered above the cutting head. When the straightedge
was parallel to the fence, the tables are in the same plane. If I
leave the straightedge over the cutter head, but put the straightedge
on a diagonal, the straightedge rocks a little bit, telling me one of
the tables is "tilted". I've read that these tables on on "eccentric
bushing" and are adjustable. Is this accurate? Does this seem to be a
problem? Is this something that shold stop me from purchasing this
tool?

3. The jointer is on a HTC mobile base.

4. The jointer comes with an extra set of knives, fresh from some
sharpening service (plastic/rubbery stuff is covering the knives)

5. The fence is currently square to the tables, but I didn't remember
to check the flatness of the fence.

Jet JWP-15CS
---------------------------
I'll be quite honest that I don't know much about checking the quality
of a used planer. Cosmetically, the planer is in good shape. Slight
surface rust, no pitting anywhere. The crank wheel to raise/lower the
cutter head moves nicely. I put a straightedge on the base under the
cutter head and it's flat no matter where I move the straightedge
(parallel, diagonal, or perpendicular to the knives).

At $1500, or $750 for each tool (my rationalization, I realize you can
do math), is this a good deal? Here's what I'm debating in my head:

1. Fine woodworking just rated the Grizzly G0500 8" jointer as a "best
buy". This is currently selling for $695. I'd have to pay for
shipping and a mobile base, but I'd get a warranty and what I've read,
good customer service.

2. I'm thinking maybe the 15" jointer is overkill for what I do. I'm
a hobbiest woodworker building his first shop. I subscribe to the "buy
a tool one time" motto. I'll mostly be buliding case goods, probably
some tables. Then I think to myself, if I'm willing to spend $500 for
the best DeWalt planer, why not spend the extra $250 to get a tool that
will outlast my grandkids (I'm only 30).

Opinions?

Frank Boettcher

On 8 Nov 2005 19:54:37 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Yes it is accurate. It is a parallegram design rather than a wedge bed
design. You can get a procedure from Delta to coplaner the tables
using the adjustable eccentrics. you should only be concerned about
verifying that the tables are flat to themselves.

3. The jointer is on a HTC mobile base.

4. The jointer comes with an extra set of knives, fresh from some
sharpening service (plastic/rubbery stuff is covering the knives)

5. The fence is currently square to the tables, but I didn't remember
to check the flatness of the fence.

Jet JWP-15CS
---------------------------
I'll be quite honest that I don't know much about checking the quality
of a used planer. Cosmetically, the planer is in good shape. Slight
surface rust, no pitting anywhere. The crank wheel to raise/lower the
cutter head moves nicely. I put a straightedge on the base under the
cutter head and it's flat no matter where I move the straightedge
(parallel, diagonal, or perpendicular to the knives).

Probably a two speed. run it in both speeds, check the gear box for
leaks, raise it and lower it. Good test would be to face joint a
piece of wood on the jointer then run it through the planer and check
for thickness consistency. Make sure it feeds consistently.

At $1500, or $750 for each tool (my rationalization, I realize you can
do math), is this a good deal? Here's what I'm debating in my head:

1. Fine woodworking just rated the Grizzly G0500 8" jointer as a "best
buy". This is currently selling for $695. I'd have to pay for
shipping and a mobile base, but I'd get a warranty and what I've read,
good customer service.

Not familiar with the model. Is it a wedgebed or parallegram design?
The value of the parallegram design is that you can adjust it coplaner
and that the infeed table stays close to the cutter at all depth
settings. They generally are more valuable and more desireable.

2. I'm thinking maybe the 15" jointer is overkill for what I do. I'm
a hobbiest woodworker building his first shop. I subscribe to the "buy
a tool one time" motto. I'll mostly be buliding case goods, probably
some tables. Then I think to myself, if I'm willing to spend $500 for
the best DeWalt planer, why not spend the extra $250 to get a tool that
will outlast my grandkids (I'm only 30).

You mean planer here? Big difference between the heavy iron machines
and the portables.

Opinions?

IMHO A very good deal if the machines are in reasonably good shape.

LRod

On 8 Nov 2005 19:54:37 -0800, wrote:

Hello and thank you for reading this.

[top posted for your convenience]

I ran into a similar deal a couple of years ago--DJ-20, DC-380. I paid
$1700 and was glad to get them. They were pristine.

I don't care what FWW said about the Grizzly--it's still a grizzly.
Would you rather have a Grizzly or a DJ-20? So far as I'm concerned it
isn't even a contest. I believe the DJ-20 is the finest 8" jointer
ever made.

Now, the Jet...I believe it's a clone of the DC-380, and from that
standpoint is worth a serious look (and will be the last planer you
buy, most likely). 20 years ago, I wouldn't have put the Jet in the
same league as the Delta, but Jet has worked hard on their QC and fit
and finish, and has become quite respectable, for an offshore
manufacturer. Delta's stock may have slipped a bit, if reports heard
here are any measure.

Is $1500 a good price? Yeah, probably. I might be inclined to offer a
couple of hundred less, just to test the waters. However, I suspect
anything up to the asking price is probably a decent deal. Killer
deal? As in "a poor widder lady...?" No. But decent, nonetheless.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Toller

Sounds a bit high, but if they are good tools for you, you probably will not
find real bargains.

However, if you think they are bigger than you need, then get a 6" jointer
and a 12" planer and take your wife out to several dozen dinners.

Pig

I don't know where you are geographically, but here in NJ I'd just pay
the man his asking price of $1500, load them into the truck, and drive
away screaming in delight. IMHO, the DJ-20 is a great tool with
arguably the best design out there, and the Jet planer is also a fine
machine. If the tools are not abused, run clean with some test wood and
as you have already checked, are generally the way they should be, this
is a bargain in my neck of the woods. Sounds like they are in need of
just a little TLC and tuning. They will be the last planer and jointer
you'll buy and some lucky relative will inherit them.

Mutt

RonB

I don't care what FWW said about the Grizzly--it's still a grizzly.
Would you rather have a Grizzly or a DJ-20?

Huh? OP didn't ask about Griz. Answer depends on which is the tool.

RonB

Thanks to everyone who's provided feedback so far. I'm going back
tomorrow to run some boards through these machines. I hope everything
turns out well.

Jason

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to everyone who's provided feedback so far. I'm going back
tomorrow to run some boards through these machines. I hope everything
turns out well.

Jason

IF you end up not getting them and are considering Grizzly for the jointer,
you may consider the G0586....seems to be a better machine for the same
price as the G0500. I haven't seen reviews of them but I did call their
technical service line and the guy ultimately said if it were him, he'd get
the 0586.
Just fyi.
Cheers,
cc

RonB

Apology. I should read, not scan before I submit a post

I am now the proud owner of these tools. They both ran fine. Thanks
to everyone who contributed.