David

Default Some color theory I've purloined from several sources.

Info in no particular order, regarding color:

Too Cool Add Red
Black + Orange Brown
Adjust a brown color using black, red , green or yellow

Primary Colors:
Red, Yellow and Blue are called primary colors. They cannot be obtained
by mixing together other colors.

Secondary Colors:
Orange, green and violet are called secondary colors. They are obtained
by mixing in equal amounts two adjoining primaries. Orange results from
the mixing of red with yellow. Green results from the mixing of yellow
with blue. Violet results from the mixing of blue with red.

Colors that appear opposite from each other on the color circle are
called complementary colors. Complementary colors include: red and
green, yellow and violet, blue and orange, etc. A complementary color is
often used to reduce the chroma (brightness or intensity) of its
opposite. When two complementary colors are mixed in equal parts,
although theoretically they should produce black, they produce (neutral)
a grayish dark brown.

Warm colors are those of the fire and sun, reds, yellows, oranges and
red violets.

When working with colors we are often times actually tinting a shade.
Brown is a shade of orange. Orange was intermixed with black to create
brown. By adding white to brown we create tan. We have created a tint
from a shade.

The palette: is a selection of colors chosen by he finisher to be used
on a project or all finish work.

One does not need all of the available dye and pigment colors to do a
good job of color matching, but it is essential to have at least one
each of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, plus black and white to do an
effective job. Pigments should be as near to pure colors as possible.

A normal assortment of colors include:
Red, Yellow, Blue
Green, Orange
Black, White
Yellow Ochre, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber
Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Vandyke Brown

You will need a palette of colors in a variety of media. These include
Match-o-Blend powdered pigment (MOB's) to be used in touch-up media for
finish repair, O-J (oil-japan) colors for color mixing and/or adjusting
of oil based finishes, and Concentrated Lacquer Tinting Colors for
tinting and mixing lacquer based materials. NGR stains will be color
adjusted using the NGR concentrates.

The pigments most used to shade, tint, or adjust the color of premixed
finishes include the three primaries: Red, Yellow and Blue; the
secondaries: Orange, & Green.
Important also are the earth colors: Yellow Ochre Raw Umber, Burnt
Umber, Raw Sienna, Burnt sienna, Vandyke Brown and of course, White and
Black.

Raw Umber is a cool brown made of blue-green and red.
When mixed with white, raw umber produces a cool neutral gray.

Burnt Umber is a warm brown composed of red, red-orange and green.
Mixed with white burnt umber produces a warm beige.

Raw Sienna is composed of yellow, red and blue-green.
Extended with white, Raw Sienna yields a warm cream color.

Burnt Sienna is composed of red, red-orange and blue.
White added to Burnt Sienna will produce a light brick color
&, with more white, a reddish pink.

Extended with white, Burnt Sienna will find its use as a base under gold
leaf.
Extended with white, Vandyke Brown will produce a purplish beige.
Orange is made by mixing Yellow with Red.
Green is made by mixing Yellow with Blue.
Purple or Violet is made by mixing Blue with Red.
Red and Black With a little Yellow make Brown.
Red and Green will make Brown.
White added to Black will make Grey.
Grey added to Yellow will make Citron.
Grey added to Red will make Russet.
Grey added to Blue will make Olive.
Orchid is an addition of White to Violet.
Pink or Flesh is the weakening of Red with White.
Light TINTS of all colors can be had by adding White.
Dark SHADES of all colors are made by adding Brown or Black.

some of the above came from:
http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/ColorTheory.html

Enjoy,

Dave

Swingman

"David" wrote in message
Info in no particular order, regarding color:

Too Cool Add Red

What's "red"?

(IOW, I started to save your post, but realized it wouldn't do me a damn bit
of good any way)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

David

Swingman wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Info in no particular order, regarding color:

Too Cool Add Red

What's "red"?

(IOW, I started to save your post, but realized it wouldn't do me a damn bit
of good any way)

Are you colorblind?

maybe someone else will find it helpful.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave
Scott Lurndal

David writes:
Swingman wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Info in no particular order, regarding color:

Too Cool Add Red

What's "red"?

(IOW, I started to save your post, but realized it wouldn't do me a damn bit
of good any way)

Are you colorblind?

maybe someone else will find it helpful.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

B.A.D. still has a vituperating tongue, I see.

Swingman

"David" wrote in message

Are you colorblind?

'Color challenged' is less likely to get you sued in this age of PC.

maybe someone else will find it helpful.

I am certain they will, as it was obviously informative, helpful and posted
in good spirit.

Thanks for sharing.

Now don't go getting your feelings hurt. The point was that, upon reading
it, and like Olive Oil at a wet t-shirt contest, you just wish you could
participate at some meaningful level ... thus the comments.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

David

Swingman wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Are you colorblind?

'Color challenged' is less likely to get you sued in this age of PC.

maybe someone else will find it helpful.

I am certain they will, as it was obviously informative, helpful and posted
in good spirit.

Thanks for sharing.

Now don't go getting your feelings hurt. The point was that, upon reading
it, and like Olive Oil at a wet t-shirt contest, you just wish you could
participate at some meaningful level ... thus the comments.

or you could have acted like an adult and just skipped the thread if it
offered nothing for you...

Dave
Swingman

"David" wrote in message

or you could have acted like an adult and just skipped the thread if it
offered nothing for you...

Damn, those panties twisted easily ... something in the air in the Bay Area,
Dave?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05