DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   craftsman drill press (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/127379-craftsman-drill-press.html)

Larry Blanchard October 31st 05 01:01 PM

craftsman drill press

Frank S. wrote:
It most likely is a taper fit. Take a piece of wood and a hammer, and
whack it (put some rags under it to catch the chuck). Hardwood works best
Good Luck and be careful (don't whack fingers)
Frank

My "El Cheapo" drill press is a taper fit and there is a slot in the
quill and a strange little piece of metal that came with the drill that
you put in the slot and tap with a hammer. A pretty light tap will
dislodge the chuck because of the leverage.

[email protected] October 31st 05 11:37 PM

craftsman drill press

Does antone have an owners manual for a craftsman 17" drill press or
can tell me how to remove the chuck?

PDQ November 1st 05 02:08 PM

craftsman drill press

--
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message ...
| Frank S. wrote:
| It most likely is a taper fit. Take a piece of wood and a hammer, and
| whack it (put some rags under it to catch the chuck). Hardwood works best
| Good Luck and be careful (don't whack fingers)
| Frank
|

| My "El Cheapo" drill press is a taper fit and there is a slot in the
| quill and a strange little piece of metal that came with the drill that
| you put in the slot and tap with a hammer. A pretty light tap will
| dislodge the chuck because of the leverage.

This is the way the press was designed for removing the quill. If you are lucky the quill was put in with the slots in their proper positions so the removal key would fit right in. The helpful clot that inserted mine for me neglected to do this. As a result, I will have to use a big screw driver to lever it out. When I do, I shall make certain the slots line up properly.

--
PDQ

No November 1st 05 03:54 PM

craftsman drill press

Be carefule here. Most drill presses are a friction fit. Craftsman is
notorious for doing things in a propriatary way though. Look at the
chuck and see if it has a brand on it such as jacobsen. It may be
labled MT or some such thing. MT meanse Mores Taper. MT info can be
found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_taper pretty good info in
morse taper.

Joe AutoDrill November 4th 05 01:17 PM

craftsman drill press

Do you still need help? If so, I have info / photos that can help you.
e-mail me direct.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.