Toller

Default How do I remove the spindle from my Delta Shaper??

I just brought a 20 year old Delta 43-221 shaper. Unfortunately it did not
come with manual.

I "believe" I can remove the spindle and install a router collet in it's
place; but it beats me how that would be done. Any advice would be
appreciated. It appears to be exactly the same as the Grizzly GO510Z.
Maybe the spindle comes off the same way?

George

"Toller" wrote in message
I just brought a 20 year old Delta 43-221 shaper. Unfortunately it did not
come with manual.

I "believe" I can remove the spindle and install a router collet in it's
place; but it beats me how that would be done. Any advice would be
appreciated. It appears to be exactly the same as the Grizzly GO510Z.
Maybe the spindle comes off the same way?

Don't see that model here, but imagine the way's the same. Stud with a nut
at the bottom of the bearing sleeve frees the spindle.
http://www.acetoolrepair.com/DeltaHt...oodShapers.htm

I use a router bit spindle on mine, but it's pretty slow on small bits.

You will, of course order the manual from Delta.

Toller

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
I just brought a 20 year old Delta 43-221 shaper. Unfortunately it did
not come with manual.

I "believe" I can remove the spindle and install a router collet in it's
place; but it beats me how that would be done. Any advice would be
appreciated. It appears to be exactly the same as the Grizzly GO510Z.
Maybe the spindle comes off the same way?

Don't see that model here, but imagine the way's the same. Stud with a
nut at the bottom of the bearing sleeve frees the spindle.
http://www.acetoolrepair.com/DeltaHt...oodShapers.htm

I use a router bit spindle on mine, but it's pretty slow on small bits.

In researching router bit spindles, I came across these instructions.
Looks pretty simple. I took off the nut, but the stud and spindle are not
moving. Is is just a matter of using a little force?
http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom...ls/G1705_m.pdf

Is is reasonable to think that this Grizzly router bit spindle will fit my
machine?

thanks

George

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

Elevate the spindle, put a couple wood blocks under the end of the stud and
then lower the spindle onto the blocks. It'll pop out.

Don't know about the ones at Grizzly. Got mine at Woodworkers' Supply.
Says fits Delta, and does.

Unquestionably Confused

on 10/28/2005 2:26 PM Toller said the following:
I just brought a 20 year old Delta 43-221 shaper. Unfortunately it did not
come with manual.

I "believe" I can remove the spindle and install a router collet in it's
place; but it beats me how that would be done. Any advice would be
appreciated. It appears to be exactly the same as the Grizzly GO510Z.
Maybe the spindle comes off the same way?

Try this:

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Publications.asp?ID=1141

They don't list your model number but they do list models to either side
of it. Read them all and if they all break down about the same, the
chances are good that yours will break down similarly.

Or... write to Delta. I wrote them years ago about the 14" Milwaukee
Delta BS I'd scored. They dug out an old owner's manual and parts list,
copied it and sent it off to me "no charge." They also were kind enough
to write up a little birth certificate for my saw which, it turned out,
was born a year or so before I was.g

Toller

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
on 10/28/2005 2:26 PM Toller said the following:
I just brought a 20 year old Delta 43-221 shaper. Unfortunately it did
not come with manual.

I "believe" I can remove the spindle and install a router collet in it's
place; but it beats me how that would be done. Any advice would be
appreciated. It appears to be exactly the same as the Grizzly GO510Z.
Maybe the spindle comes off the same way?

Try this:

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Publications.asp?ID=1141

They don't list your model number but they do list models to either side
of it. Read them all and if they all break down about the same, the
chances are good that yours will break down similarly.

The HomeCraft shaper is identical to mine. Interesting that it cost $185 in
1948 and I only paid $140 for it. Supposedly mine was bought new in 1986
and only used a couple times.

Thanks much.

Or... write to Delta. I wrote them years ago about the 14" Milwaukee
Delta BS I'd scored. They dug out an old owner's manual and parts list,
copied it and sent it off to me "no charge." They also were kind enough
to write up a little birth certificate for my saw which, it turned out,
was born a year or so before I was.g

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unquestionably Confused
[...]

Another possibility, Delta’s tech support in Tenn: (800) 223-7278.

There are some folks there that know a bunch of stuff about legacy products. You might get lucky.
Toller

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

It didn't exactly "pop out", but it did come out. But I suppose after
sitting there for 20 year I was fortunate it came out at all. It "looks"
like the grizzly should fit; I have an email into them.
Thanks for your help.

Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:26:41 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I just brought a 20 year old Delta 43-221 shaper. Unfortunately it did not
come with manual.

I "believe" I can remove the spindle and install a router collet in it's
place; but it beats me how that would be done. Any advice would be
appreciated. It appears to be exactly the same as the Grizzly GO510Z.
Maybe the spindle comes off the same way?

Call Delta Customer service and ask for Tech service. I'm not
familiar with the number. Most Delta shapers had removable spindles
with morse tapers that can be knocked out of the cartridges by
removing the nut and giving the spindle a protected (block of wood)
pop. Many had router spindle adapters that could replace the normal
spindle. But some had cartridges without removable spindles. Had to
replace the whole cartridge or in some cases turn it over to get a
different diameter spindle. There are some oldtimers in tech service
that should be able to help you.

Frank
Lew Hodgett

Subject