rjdankert

Default Oak stair treads for workbench top?

Hi, I am fairly new to woodworking. I will be building a workbench
this winter. I have red oak stair treads left over from a remodeling
project. They are approx. 1"x11"x35". They are not solid boards, but
edge glued. The front edges are rounded over. They are coated with a
urethane finish. The top will be approx. 35"x80". Is it worth using
them for the bench top? If so:

- should I use an underlayment (plywood, MDF,..)?

- how would I attach them? I ask this because I don't know if there
will be expansion and contraction issues.

- what does urethane do to blades?

Some of the tools I have availabe a tablesaw, drill press, joiner,
jointer, planer.

This is my first post here. Have been reading for awhile and have
found some great information. Any comments appreciated, thanks in
advance.

Bob

0_Qed

rjdankert wrote:

Hi, I am fairly new to woodworking. I will be building a workbench
this winter. I have red oak stair treads left over from a remodeling
project. They are approx. 1"x11"x35". They are not solid boards, but
edge glued. The front edges are rounded over. They are coated with a
urethane finish. The top will be approx. 35"x80". Is it worth using
them for the bench top? If so:
- should I use an underlayment (plywood, MDF,..)?

....snip...

So Pine 'PT' is 'some' hard ,
not prone to wear & dents.

Me?
Osage Orange( aka Ugly Fruit), if you can find it ...
even rough green.
Dont even "try" to surface it ... no.
If '5Qtr', plenty thick enuf to drill/tap for 1/4-20 from the bottom.
.... No 'steel' bits left showing on the top.
Almost nail-gun proof.

Stair_tread seems a mis_use, and a bit 'soft'.

Qed.
Mike O.

On 22 Oct 2005 14:09:45 -0700, "rjdankert"
wrote:

Hi, I am fairly new to woodworking. I will be building a workbench
this winter. I have red oak stair treads left over from a remodeling
project. They are approx. 1"x11"x35". They are not solid boards, but
edge glued. The front edges are rounded over. They are coated with a
urethane finish. The top will be approx. 35"x80". Is it worth using
them for the bench top? If so:

There may be other uses but I don't see why you couldn't use them for
your bench.
Would you put them together so that the grain runs across the bench
and not long ways? If so, just rip the bull nose off and glue them
up. Use biscuits if you need help lining them up. If you want to go
long ways, I'm not sure how you would join them at the ends.

- should I use an underlayment (plywood, MDF,..)?

You could but I would not glue the top down because you would have
different movement between the sheet goods and the solid treads.
I would probably build the frame with stringers every so often and
corner pieces at each corner. Drill the stringers and corner pieces
with oversize holes or slots then attach the top with screws. This
should allow movement of the top. If you wanted the sheet goods for
more support, you could put oversize holes through that.

- how would I attach them? I ask this because I don't know if there
will be expansion and contraction issues.

- what does urethane do to blades?

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going to use the treads for
anything you will have to deal with that anyway. You may dull blades
more quickly but I wouldn't expect it to hurt anything too much. You
may need to clean poly off the tools afterward.

Mike O.

LED lighting for stair treads... Mike Deblis UK diy 12 August 6th 05 07:27 PM
nail or screw stair treads? CathyLee Home Repair 1 April 21st 05 11:15 PM
Bamboo Stair Treads Punky Home Repair 0 January 6th 05 06:17 AM
Oak caps for stair treads Montyhp Woodworking 8 August 21st 04 05:09 AM
Stair Treads David Alexander Woodworking 8 March 10th 04 12:54 AM