DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bandsaw advice needed please (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/125410-bandsaw-advice-needed-please.html)

[email protected] October 18th 05 10:14 PM

Bandsaw advice needed please

Also posted in alt.woodworking....
Hi Everyone,
I need some advice concerning a bandsaw I recently acquired. It is a
Beaver Rockwell model 3300 14 inch saw. This is an older machine, I
would think mid 1960's at a guess. Manufactured in Guelph Ontario.
I have a wider blade, 3/8th I think, on it and I figure I have the
tracking pretty close as I spin it by hand. The problem occurs when I
close the case and start it up, it will run for a few seconds then slow
down and start to put a strain on the motor. When I shut down and open
the case up I can see that the upper tire has crept backwards on the
upper wheel and is rubbing against the back of the housing. The tire is
not adhered to the hub, as is the bottom tire.
My questions are.
Should the upper tire be adhered to the hub? Or is the drive tire
adhered simply due to age?
If it should be adhered, is there a recommended adhesive other then
contact cement?
The tire has a shallow grove worn in the center, can anyone suggest a
replacement source?, Or will any 14 inch tire work correctly?
Any advice or help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

john

Duane Bozarth October 19th 05 02:12 AM

" wrote:

Also posted in alt.woodworking....

If you're going to post in multiple groups, at least cross post instead
of multi-posting so there's a link...

Should the upper tire be adhered to the hub? Or is the drive tire
adhered simply due to age?

More than likely although I suppose someone could have solved a similar
problem by an expedient. The tires should be tight enough and the saw
should track well enough that they tires stay in place.

The tire has a shallow grove worn in the center, can anyone suggest a
replacement source?, Or will any 14 inch tire work correctly?

Assuming it's not something quite unusual, I'd expect any replacement
should be ok for dimensions. Like anything else, I've seen some cheap
imports w/ really sorry excuses for tires so I'd go w/ a "name" brand
replacement.

Any advice or help is much appreciated.

There was an article in FWW by Robert Vaughn (or Vaughan?) on tuning up
a bandsaw that included how to replace the tires including showing how
to form the crown....it's well worth seeing.

Luigi Zanasi October 19th 05 03:03 AM

Bandsaw advice needed please

On 18 Oct 2005 14:14:53 -0700, "
scribbled:

[...]

Beaver Rockwell was a subsidiary of Rockwell Delta, which is now, you
guessed it, Delta. I suspect the saw is the same standard 14" Delta.
Mine is even older than yours and the standard Delta 14" tires fit.

You might want to contact Delta, they have parts deposits across
Canada. Or, to be absolutely sure, you might try Ace Tool Repair in
Smithers, BC. They have an amazing amount of parts for older machines
and I have ordered from them a number of times (and did a special
detour to visit the store in Smithers last year). Web site is at:

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking

Andy October 19th 05 03:59 AM

Bandsaw advice needed please

Luigi,
In addition to ordering a new tire, I'd recommend ordering a good book
to help you tune, adjust, select blades for, etc. your bandsaw if you
don't already have one. Anything by Mark Duginske - I have his
"Bandsaw Handbook" and it is a great resource.
Andy

John Girouard October 19th 05 02:59 PM

Bandsaw advice needed please

There was an article in FWW by Robert Vaughn (or Vaughan?) on tuning up
a bandsaw that included how to replace the tires including showing how
to form the crown....it's well worth seeing.

David Marks also had an episode of Wood Works on DIY where he went through
tuning up a bandsaw, including replacing and truing the tires.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/wk_tools/article/0,2037,DIY_14429_2278285,00.html

-John

nospambob October 19th 05 05:36 PM

Bandsaw advice needed please

I bought tires for the Rockwell 14" saw from Suffolk Machinery and
they needed soaking in hot water for 15 minutes prior to STRETCHING
them to fit on the wheel. No adhesive. The wheels have ridges to
stop wandering. 1-800-234-SAWS and discuss your situation with them.

Chuck October 19th 05 06:44 PM

Bandsaw advice needed please

I just bought tires and a couple of blades from Suffolk for my 14"
Delta. They have very knowledgeable and helpful sales associates that
were able to answer all of my questions. They send instructions for
changing the tires and a booklet on bandsaw tuning, blades, blade
tension, etc. Can't recommend them enough.

-Chuck

[email protected] October 19th 05 10:13 PM

Bandsaw advice needed please

Thanks very much to everyone who replied...
Duane - I actually posted in alt. by accident.
Duane, Andy and John - I've requested the Duginski books from the
library and picked up a couple of FWW while I was there. I will try and
find the Vaugn article.
Luigi and NSBob - Thanks for the supplier pointers. I'll contact them
if I find that I can't find a local tire that will fit.

It is nice to know that there are people willing to help with advise
for others. Thank You,
john

DRailing November 24th 18 02:14 PM

Bandsaw advice needed please

replying to jd_um_hoste, DRailing wrote:
I had the same problem. I replaced the tires with new neoprene ones but they
still would creep so I used gorilla glue. Works fine now.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ase-49653-.htm