evodawg

Default Miter on Crown Molding, 70 degree??????

I have a crown molding cut to make that I just can't figure out how to make.
It's a 140 degree left hand right hand. So the miter saw has to be set to
70 degrees. How do I cut this with a miter saw that only handles 50 degrees
at most. The crown is a 6" 45* spring angle. I have no problem with crown
that is 50* or less but just can't figure out how to make this cut!

Thanks,
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Duane Bozarth

evodawg wrote:

I have a crown molding cut to make that I just can't figure out how to make.
It's a 140 degree left hand right hand. So the miter saw has to be set to
70 degrees. How do I cut this with a miter saw that only handles 50 degrees
at most. The crown is a 6" 45* spring angle. I have no problem with crown
that is 50* or less but just can't figure out how to make this cut!

Either make the cut manually or make a backer for the saw at an angle
such that the needed cut is within the range of the saw. For large
moulding, unless you have a large sliding-head saw you may not be able
to use it.

If the backer you make is 30deg (convenient becuase of large prefab
triangles to set the angle), then the remaining cut would be 40....

OK... you got my interest. What in the world kind of miter needs a 70
degree cut? How will you match it up to make a joint?

Or is it going to die into some wall that intersects at an obtuse
angle?

For the life of me I cannot imagine the joint, much less how to cut it
since 140 degrees would make the length of the mitre something like 18"
long.

Robert

evodawg

Duane Bozarth wrote:

evodawg wrote:

I have a crown molding cut to make that I just can't figure out how to
make. It's a 140 degree left hand right hand. So the miter saw has to be
set to 70 degrees. How do I cut this with a miter saw that only handles
50 degrees at most. The crown is a 6" 45* spring angle. I have no problem
with crown that is 50* or less but just can't figure out how to make this
cut!

Either make the cut manually or make a backer for the saw at an angle
such that the needed cut is within the range of the saw. For large
moulding, unless you have a large sliding-head saw you may not be able
to use it.

If the backer you make is 30deg (convenient becuase of large prefab
triangles to set the angle), then the remaining cut would be 40....

Hmmmmmmmmm, that sounds like an alternative. I just hope I can fit it on my
saw. I'm thinking or wondering if a cope cut would be possible at that
angle? Maybe it's time to visit the book store or library. Think I'll check
out Home Depots self help area this weekend.

Rich

--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

evodawg wrote:
Duane Bozarth wrote:

evodawg wrote:

[...]

this is an inside corner? those should always be coped.

Mike O.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:05:51 GMT, evodawg
wrote:

For the life of me I cannot imagine the joint, much less how to cut it
since 140 degrees would make the length of the mitre something like 18"
long.

Robert

70* angle inside left inside right
__________________
/
/ ------ This wall angle is 140*
/ more than is shown.
| its a fireplace wall

A cut that requires 70 degrees on each inside angle would make the
room look more like the angle on the end of a sharp pencil than what
you have drawn here.
Is it possible that you are reading the angle finder incorrectly or
that it only has one scale? Some angle finders only have one scale
and you have to subtract 140 from 180 to get 40 degrees then divide
that in half and you have two 20 degree cuts which is much closer to
what you have drawn. If I was guessing, I'd say it's probably 22 1/2
degrees.

Mike O.
loutent

I never cope crown molding inside corners, never. I always miter them. I do
cope base board molding though. The fit is much better on crown when it's
mitered.

Hi Rich,

That's funny (to me). I do exactly the
opposite. Cope the crown, miter the base.

Probably should cope both.

Trying to develop more patience as I go.

In the middle of all of that right now.

Lou

Lou:

When I trim out a house, I always, no exceptions, cope inside corners
of crown.

With flat moldings, I cope if I have to, but occasionally get lucky on
one or two joints in a room and don't have to cope every one.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Mike O., Tonyt10 wrote:
Thank u Mike u actually just helped me out. I was dealing with the same thing
and couldn't figure out the equation, until u just broke it down, just tried
it on the miter saw and put it up on my cabinets and it looks good thanks
again .Tony

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ree-48976-.htm