Ron

Default Hard maple vs hard rock maple?

What the difference between the two, if there is one?

I'm looking to use some 'hard maple' for some cutting boards, but, have
noticed
that many ads mention using 'hard rock maple'.

ThankX,
Ron

Doug Miller

In article , "Ron" wrote:
What the difference between the two, if there is one?

The name. :-)

I'm looking to use some 'hard maple' for some cutting boards, but, have
noticed that many ads mention using 'hard rock maple'.

That's another colloquialism for the same stuff.

--
Regards,

Steve

Hard Maple (AKA Hard Rock Maple) comes from the maple species Sugar
Maple. The scientific name is Acer Saccharum.

"Soft" Maple comes from some other species of maple, typically Western
Bigleaf Maple (Acer Macrophylium), Red maple (Acer Rubrum) or Silver
Maple (Acer Saccharinum).

Western Bigleaf is the source of most of the maple that has fiddleback
(flame, curly, or tiger) or quilt figure. Nice flame figure can be
found in Red Maple too. Sugar Maple occasionally has flame or quilt
figure as well, but Sugar maple is best know for Birdseye figure.

Although is is considered a soft maple, Red Maple is almost as strong,
hard and dense as sugar maple, and I've used it successfully in electric
guitar necks, which are most commonly made from Hard Rock (sugar) maple.
Western Bigleaf is significantly softer and less dense--I would not
consider using it for guitar necks.

--Steve

Ron wrote:

What the difference between the two, if there is one?

I'm looking to use some 'hard maple' for some cutting boards, but, have
noticed
that many ads mention using 'hard rock maple'.

ThankX,
Ron

Doug & Rose Miller

In article , Steve Steve says...
Although is is considered a soft maple, Red Maple is almost as strong,
hard and dense as sugar maple

Ummm.... no, it isn't. Not even close, actually. Red maple is only about
2/3 as strong and hard as sugar maple, and about 80% as dense.

*Black* maple *is* "almost as strong, hard and dense as sugar maple" but
it, like sugar maple, is considered "hard maple".

Finishing choices for hard maple? Scott Geyer Woodworking 6 January 7th 04 04:24 AM
how to tell hard vs. soft maple harrisrd Woodworking 10 September 21st 03 07:25 PM
mapled out Mike in Mystic Woodworking 11 August 30th 03 10:21 PM
Hard Maple grain question Gfretwell Woodworking 2 August 16th 03 03:15 AM
Is hard maple the hardest wood? P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 July 20th 03 03:40 PM