max

Default My new toy. What an adventure.

I just bought a tabletop mill. It was a couple of hours away and a friend
was very close and picked it up for me. He showed up this morning with a
machine that weighed 5 or 6 hundred pounds fully assembled in the back of
his truck. I did not have a fork, or a lift table. We would up removing the
motor, then the head in the truck. We then hoisted, cursed, bitched and
moaned the rest of it on to a table with wheels. Rolled it in the shop to
discover the ceiling was too low to reassemble. Back out to the truck so we
could stand in the truck and hoist the head back on to the column. Back in
to the shop to get it back together and start it up. Cool!!!
Then back to the street because I could not get the top cover back on.
A nice mornings work.
Having a mill in the shop is very handy. Besides fixing all of the old tools
and building new ones, you can mortise and do a lot of other operations. I
might even give up my prized drill press if this works out.
max

tom

That's a good friend. Tom

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:51:47 GMT, max wrote:

[...]

sounds like what I have. does it look like this:
http://www.wcc.net/~jkmccoy/shop/milldril.htm

you're going to come to love the big table.

if you can, convert the motor to 220v.

get a clamp set if it didn't come with one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5953

this tool is excellent for making router jigs.
Morris Dovey

max (in ) said:

| I just bought a tabletop mill.

I don't even care what you paid for it - you suck!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Badger

Morris Dovey wrote:
max (in ) said:

| I just bought a tabletop mill.

I don't even care what you paid for it - you suck!

Give it a few years and the mill will suck, I inherited one of those at
work and passed it on to the next w/s supervisor too, absolute rubbish
for serious work (OK we have to work to microns), useful for roughing
small stuff, until the bearings go, mounting castings crack etc etc...

Morris Dovey

Badger (in ) said:

| Morris Dovey wrote:
|| max (in ) said:
||| I just bought a tabletop mill.
|| I don't even care what you paid for it - you suck!
| Give it a few years and the mill will suck, I inherited one of
| those at work and passed it on to the next w/s supervisor too,
| absolute rubbish for serious work (OK we have to work to microns),
| useful for roughing small stuff, until the bearings go, mounting
| castings crack etc etc...

Perhaps - but to a guy who has _no_ mill it sounds pretty good!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

CW

You mill to millionths of an inch? I don't think so. If you were trying to
give the impression that you knew what you were talking about, you blew it.