Sam the Cat

Default building a deck

ok so I am finally getting around to building a replacement deck. There's a
lot of awful stuff out there on how the new PT lumber "Eats Nails" etc.
Folks at the box stores tell me to use triple dipped gavl and I'll be fine
(however the Simpson guys basically say all bets are off - no guarantees)

what I am looking for is a good place to order / get decent metal parts
(joist hangers etc) carriage bolts and most importantly nails for my framing
nail gun. I can get galv nails at the box store, but not triple dipped. Is
a PC 350 (full head)

Anybody got a good, trusted source for these items ? Do I really need
Stainless steel ? What's a 1/2" x6 " carriage bolt go for in SS ?

FriscoSoxFan

McFeelys is the gold standard.

If you've got the coin, go full stainless for everything. I used
no-co-rode screws on my cedar fence. They worked great. To head off the
objections, I like the look of the slight black streaks from the
galvinization combined with the greying of the cedar. To each his own.

FriscoSoxFan

McFeelys is the gold standard.

If you've got the coin, go full stainless for everything. I used
no-co-rode screws on my cedar fence. They worked great. To head off the
objections, I like the look of the slight black streaks from the
galvinization combined with the greying of the cedar. To each his own.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

Pat Barber

I wouldn't shoot nails when screws will work better. I would
also look at a fastening system that screws from the bottom
which will create a MUCH better looking deck that will also
last longer. Use the stainless square drive screws.

I would use galvanized lag and carriage bolts for the frame
work.

Sam the Cat wrote:

ok so I am finally getting around to building a replacement deck. There's a
lot of awful stuff out there on how the new PT lumber "Eats Nails" etc.
Folks at the box stores tell me to use triple dipped gavl and I'll be fine
(however the Simpson guys basically say all bets are off - no guarantees)

Pat Barber

I almost forgot....

http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/

or

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

Sam the Cat wrote:

ok so I am finally getting around to building a replacement deck. There's a
lot of awful stuff out there on how the new PT lumber "Eats Nails" etc.
Folks at the box stores tell me to use triple dipped gavl and I'll be fine
(however the Simpson guys basically say all bets are off - no guarantees)

Edwin Pawlowski

"Sam the Cat" wrote in message

what I am looking for is a good place to order / get decent metal parts
(joist hangers etc) carriage bolts and most importantly nails for my
framing
nail gun. I can get galv nails at the box store, but not triple dipped.
Is
a PC 350 (full head)

McFeelys has an impressive line of deck hardware, screws, and most
important, knowledge. Only place I'd buy my decking hardware.

Ron Truitt

I'm currently enlarging mine so I went online to look at the Yellow Wood
site and their specs. They said hot dipped galvanized fasteners or
stainless steel. I decided to go with hot dipped nails for my framing
gun with a ringed shank for holding power. I'll see how it goes. I can
always buy stainless and add nails or screws if need be. I was also
looking for a faster way to do it than using screws.

RonT

Barry Lennox

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 06:28:26 -0400, "Sam the Cat"
wrote:

ok so I am finally getting around to building a replacement deck. There's a
lot of awful stuff out there on how the new PT lumber "Eats Nails" etc.
Folks at the box stores tell me to use triple dipped gavl and I'll be fine
(however the Simpson guys basically say all bets are off - no guarantees)

Well, here in NZ, we have been using PT timber (But I can't swear the
preservative chemicals would be the same) for around 40-50 years and
it does not touch galv nails. OTOH, bright chromate screws last about
1-2 years in it when damp. Trust me, I know. Sometimes you can be too
cheap!

Barry Lennox

Edwin Pawlowski

"Barry Lennox" wrote in message
)

Well, here in NZ, we have been using PT timber (But I can't swear the
preservative chemicals would be the same) for around 40-50 years and
it does not touch galv nails.

Here in the US, the new chemicals in PT are not good on galvanized.

M&S

Sam the Cat wrote:
ok so I am finally getting around to building a replacement deck. There's a
lot of awful stuff out there on how the new PT lumber "Eats Nails" etc.
Folks at the box stores tell me to use triple dipped gavl and I'll be fine
(however the Simpson guys basically say all bets are off - no guarantees)

what I am looking for is a good place to order / get decent metal parts
(joist hangers etc) carriage bolts and most importantly nails for my framing
nail gun. I can get galv nails at the box store, but not triple dipped. Is
a PC 350 (full head)

Anybody got a good, trusted source for these items ? Do I really need
Stainless steel ? What's a 1/2" x6 " carriage bolt go for in SS ?

Personally we havent seen the need to exceed the current specs. of G185
and ASTM-153. The talk that we have heard of ACQ eating even those
fasteners has not been proven out with factual data that we, or any of
our suppliers, have seen. I personally believe they are just rumor and
until some factual data is produced they are just that. There have been
countless cases of contractors and homeowners either not being informed
of the issues with the new treated or simply ignoring them and using
fasteners they had on hand or thinking plated would be fine. I have even
read of law suits where the big box stores, and other lumberyards, didnt
inform their customers adequately when ACQ first came on the market and
failures have occured.

One salesman from the lumberyard we deal with most was on one of our
jobs two days ago and had just come from a deck which was built a year
and a half ago with ACQ. The builder admittedly didnt use nails which
meet the new standard. Salesman said the decking boards can be lifted
off by hand and rock under your feet in several places on the deck. Who
knows what shape the frame is in. That said, since ACQ came on the
market there has not been a single issue with his company from any job
where approved fasteners, hangers, and flashing, were used. We have been
using it since the switch without any problems. I have been tempted to
really dont see the need.

I simply cant see the industry converting to stainless and its
associated cost (5x the price on the low side). My advice would be to
meet the standard and save the money going with galvy over stainless. If
you were buidling a deck with exotics or something and staining was a
major issue the stainless would be a no brainer but on a treated deck
the galvy will be fine.

Good luck,
Mark