Old October 2nd 05, 09:50 PM

Default jointer pad question

Last night I was trying to put a flat surface on a box end I was
making but when I tried to run the wood across my jointer, my push
pads kept slipping which made it hard to keep my work against my
cutter head.

Anyone have ideas of what I could use to get a sticker grip so I don't
loose my grip on the wood I'm trying to joint?

Thanks,

Wes

Old October 2nd 05, 10:41 PM

I have a couple of sets of push pads.

One has some medium grit sandpaper glued to it, one has a thin foam
rubber pad and one set has some very fine pins about 1/16-1/8 inch
long.

I also don't normally use a push pad when running material over the
jointer.

Old October 2nd 05, 10:54 PM
Lowell Holmes

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a couple of sets of push pads.

One has some medium grit sandpaper glued to it, one has a thin foam
rubber pad and one set has some very fine pins about 1/16-1/8 inch
long.

I also don't normally use a push pad when running material over the
jointer.

I use a push stick on the jointer. It doesn't slip and as a result, neither
do my hands.
:-)

--
Lowell Holmes

Old October 2nd 05, 11:00 PM
loutent

Last night I was trying to put a flat surface on a box end I was
making but when I tried to run the wood across my jointer, my push
pads kept slipping which made it hard to keep my work against my
cutter head.

Anyone have ideas of what I could use to get a sticker grip so I don't
loose my grip on the wood I'm trying to joint?

Thanks,

Wes

Careful...you could go blind....

Lou
Old October 3rd 05, 12:17 AM
[email protected]

Well, you could always use double sided tape OR hotmelt glue to hold a
handle/pushstick attached while running the piece thru the jointer

Or, put some peel and stick sandpaper on the contact surface of the
push stick so the sandpaper gives it some grab

John

Old October 3rd 05, 01:18 AM
SonomaProducts.com

I typically use gloves with rubber coating. There are lots o' versions.
I use the cheapest ones I can get, they are stanley wool gloves with
the fingers and palms sorta dipped in rubber. Get em at HD.

There are more expensive version with rubber dots on the fingers and
palms.

I use these on jointer and when ripping. Can't beat them in my opinion.
I also use a push stick when ripping if it's less than 3" wide rip.

I must admit the jointed does scare me a bit at times but I make sure I
have clean technique and never in a position where a slip would put me
into the blades..

Old October 3rd 05, 02:58 AM
Doug Miller

In article .com, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I typically use gloves with rubber coating. There are lots o' versions.
I use the cheapest ones I can get, they are stanley wool gloves with
the fingers and palms sorta dipped in rubber. Get em at HD.

Wearing gloves around any machinery is dumb, dumb, dumb. Use push blocks or
push sticks instead -- the last thing you need is to get the glove snagged by
a spinning tooth or knive, and pull your hand into the cutter.

--
Regards,

Old October 3rd 05, 03:16 AM
BobS

Wes,

Try cleaning them with rubbing alcohol or even mineral spirits and see if
that helps. That's the suggested method for cleaning the rubber rollers on
a DeWalt planer and should not hurt the pads. If they still slip, try
pulling them across a sheet of sandpaper to scuff the surface a bit.

The there's always the "throw more money at it" route - GRR-Rippers

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,51225&ap=1

Bob S.