Dan Major

Default Bending/twisting wood (was Bending Oak)

I have a project I'd like to try. It's fairly small, the pieces are no
longer that 10". I don't have the means (money) to build a steam box. The
"slats" are 1/8 - 3/16 thick by 2 - 3 inches wide. Questions a
1) What's the easiest wood to bend?
2) W/O a steam box, can I just boil the wood in a skillet?
3) For one of the projects, I need to put a 90 degree twist down the length
of the slat, can this be done?
4) What's the best finish to keep the wood from "unbending"?
Andrew Barss

Dan Major wrote:
: I have a project I'd like to try. It's fairly small, the pieces are no
: longer that 10". I don't have the means (money) to build a steam box.

All you need is a length of 4" or larger PVC pipe, an end cap, and
a teakettle.
The
: "slats" are 1/8 - 3/16 thick by 2 - 3 inches wide. Questions a
: 1) What's the easiest wood to bend?

Steamed ash is good.

: 3) For one of the projects, I need to put a 90 degree twist down the length
: of the slat, can this be done?

Probably, depending on how thin the wood is, and how abrupt
a twist you want.

: 4) What's the best finish to keep the wood from "unbending"?

Thew finish isn't going to do much. If you laminate a few pieces
together, epoxy or urea-formaldehyde glue will stop springback.

-- Andy Barss
George

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Dan Major wrote:
: I have a project I'd like to try. It's fairly small, the pieces are no
: longer that 10". I don't have the means (money) to build a steam box.

All you need is a length of 4" or larger PVC pipe, an end cap, and
a teakettle.
The
: "slats" are 1/8 - 3/16 thick by 2 - 3 inches wide. Questions a
: 1) What's the easiest wood to bend?

Steamed ash is good.

SNIP

Ash is a great choice, and should be straight-grained because you rived it
yourself - best option, or you cut along the annual rings of a quartered
piece. Don't worry about waves in them, they'll steam straight.
Thicknessing is a bandsaw/pivot pin proposition. You don't have to be
fanatic and thump the side of a well-soaked black ash like the basket folks,
but your chances of success are greatest if you follow the principles they
use.