DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   MORE SAWDUST CLAY (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/122790-more-sawdust-clay.html)

J T October 1st 05 04:52 AM

MORE SAWDUST CLAY

Found this recipe he
http://www.theholidayzone.com/recipes/dough.html

Rock-Hard Sawdust Clay
2 cups sawdust
1 cup flour
water
Mix two parts sawdust with one part water. Add water, until the mixture
is stiff, but pliable. If dough is too crumbly, add a little more flour.
Dump the mixture on a newspaper-covered table. Knead until it reaches an
elastic consistency.
The dough may then be molded into any shape desired, then dried in the
sun. As it dries, it will become extremely hard. After drying, it can be
sanded and painted, or simply painted, depending on preference. Once the
paint dries, an acrylic finish will make creations shine.

I haven't tried this yet, but intend to. The other recipe I saw
called for wallpaper paste - which would mean something extra to buy.
This one uses flour, which most people already have. If it works as
described, I can think of several ways to use it, right off the top of
my head - as long it doesn't turn out to be brittle, that is, but even
if it is, I can still think of a use or two..

JOAT
The Truth Shall Set Ye Fret

Andy Dingley October 1st 05 11:55 PM

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:52:20 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

I haven't tried this yet, but intend to. The other recipe I saw
called for wallpaper paste - which would mean something extra to buy.
This one uses flour, which most people already have.

Use wallpaper paste - it's much easier.

Or else ground rice flour, which also makes a decent starch paste. You
can even use tapioca or manioc flour. Wheat flour though needs cooking
before it's usable as a paste.

Jois October 2nd 05 12:58 AM

wrote:

I haven't tried this yet, but intend to. The other recipe I saw
called for wallpaper paste - which would mean something extra to buy.
This one uses flour, which most people already have.

Use wallpaper paste - it's much easier.

[snip]

Anytime I have a choice between wallpaper paste and flour, I always used to
take the wallpaper paste. But - with all the vinyl papers and all the
prepasted wallpaper - wallpaper paste is getting harder and harder to find.

Josie

[email protected] October 2nd 05 01:03 AM

wrote:

I haven't tried this yet, but intend to. The other recipe I saw
called for wallpaper paste - which would mean something extra to buy.
This one uses flour, which most people already have.

Use wallpaper paste - it's much easier.

Or else ground rice flour, which also makes a decent starch paste. You
can even use tapioca or manioc flour. Wheat flour though needs cooking
before it's usable as a paste.

a little white glue or concrete bonder gives it plasticity and makes
it dry harder too.