DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   First router; Hitachi KM12VC VS Dewalt DW616PK (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/121309-first-router%3B-hitachi-km12vc-vs-dewalt-dw616pk.html)

Mike Cole September 18th 05 05:13 AM

First router; Hitachi KM12VC VS Dewalt DW616PK

Hiya...
I just bought the Dewalt DW616PK as my first router, and haven't opened it
yet. I just noticed the Hitachi KM12VC is on sale for about the same price
with a free orbital sander to boot. The Dewalt isn't a variable speed unit,
and the Hitachi is. I want to get this right, so some opinions would be
much appreciated. I have read some comments regarding the lack of variable
speed, and now i'm all convinced that without variable speed, I am going to
burn wood and be unhappy with the Dewalt if I use a 1/2 inch bit.

Basically I want a plunge/fixed combo for under $200, and I would like to
buy the best one I can for the money. Thanks for any help any of you could
give me!

Mike C

Robatoy September 18th 05 05:20 PM

In article ,
"Mike Cole" wrote:

Hiya...
I just bought the Dewalt DW616PK as my first router, and haven't opened it
yet. I just noticed the Hitachi KM12VC is on sale for about the same price
with a free orbital sander to boot. The Dewalt isn't a variable speed unit,
and the Hitachi is. I want to get this right, so some opinions would be
much appreciated. I have read some comments regarding the lack of variable
speed, and now i'm all convinced that without variable speed, I am going to
burn wood and be unhappy with the Dewalt if I use a 1/2 inch bit.

Basically I want a plunge/fixed combo for under $200, and I would like to
buy the best one I can for the money. Thanks for any help any of you could
give me!

Mike C

Go change it to the Hitachi...go on...get going...come on, G

I couldn't live without variable speed. Certainly not on a brute like
that.

Toller September 18th 05 06:37 PM

Unless you are going to use it in a table with large bits, VC is
meaningless. And by large bits I don't mean 1/2" shaft, but 4" panel
cutters.

Now if you will be doing any woodworking at all you will certainly be using
a table, but not necessarily with this router.

I haven't used either, so I obviously have no opinion on which is the better
buy.

[email protected] September 18th 05 09:21 PM

A heck of a lot more application with the 616/618. See link for some
experience:

http://www.patwarner.com/dw618pk.html

George September 18th 05 09:29 PM

"Toller" wrote in message
Unless you are going to use it in a table with large bits, VC is
meaningless.

Nope. Wrong answer. Those variable speeds also include soft start, which
is definitely something you want.

CW September 18th 05 10:43 PM

Minor convenience. Not enough to base a decision on.

Andy September 19th 05 07:45 AM

Since you asked... I'd say keep your Dewalt kit and if you really need
a cheap RO sander, get a Ryobi at the orange borg for $35. If you
don't, keep the nicer router.
I have the 618, and like it very much, but the variable speed isn't
what I like best - the overall quality and solid-ness is. It is also
versatile - fits PC sub-bases etc. VS and soft start are convenient,
and can reduce burning sometimes. Unless you're doing raised panels or
other very large bits, VS isn't really necessary. If you want it,
though, and you might return the 616 anyway, look into the dewalt 618
kit - only a little over $200 (try Amazon, Google, maybe Amazon
reconditioned, or toolsdirect.com says 110% price guarantee so see if
they'll beat Amazon...).
That's my advice.
Remember, though, that a piece of advice is like a butt - everyone has
one and most of them stink.
Andy

Toller September 19th 05 02:01 PM

"Toller" wrote in message
Unless you are going to use it in a table with large bits, VC is
meaningless.

Nope. Wrong answer. Those variable speeds also include soft start, which
is definitely something you want.

I have a 1617 and a 1617EVS. The non-soft start is fine.

George September 19th 05 03:33 PM

"Toller" wrote in message
Unless you are going to use it in a table with large bits, VC is
meaningless.

Nope. Wrong answer. Those variable speeds also include soft start,
which is definitely something you want.

I have a 1617 and a 1617EVS. The non-soft start is fine.

Which one do you use for dovetailing? Mortising?

C'mon, you can admit it. MUCH nicer when it doesn't jump.

Bob G. September 19th 05 10:34 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:43:08 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Minor convenience. Not enough to base a decision on.

"George" George@least wrote in message
Those variable speeds also include soft start, which
is definitely something you want.

=======================
Thats my opinion also...

I own and use 6 different routers and to be honest none have VS and
none are solf start... no real reason for me to run out and buy a
router with either....

Bob G.

James Rabbit October 19th 05 12:29 AM

What If George Bush's "Brain" Indicted?

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:10:43 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

"James Rabbit" wrote in message

If Karl Rove indicted by the Special Prosecutor can George Bush do
anything right?

According to the left, the president can't do anything right anyway, so I
presume from their perspective, it doesn't matter. And as far as any
indictments or potential indictments go, as the saying goes, a prosecutor
can get an indictment on a ham sandwich, so why don't you get back to me
when we have a conviction?

todd

Ha, ha, ha as the wheel turns, it's now turning into a Karlgate like
Watergate in the Nixon's White House. Start with Tom DeLay, than
Bill Frist, Karl Rove with Lewis Libby and now maybe Cheney too...?