Old September 13th 05, 03:10 AM
loutent

Default "Alone in the Wilderness" (very on topic)

I know that I am way behind the curve on this, but
last night SWMBO & I stumbled across our local PBS
fund raising marathon.

Usually (lately anyhow) I skirt by these, but the
documentary they were showing was so fascinating
that we could not switch channels.

It was entitled "Alone in the Wilderness". If you google
the title, you will get more info than I could provide
here.

We sat there mesmerized. If you are a woodworker, it
is that much more amazing.

Excuse this post if this is old/recycled stuff (I think
the film footage is late 60's). We had never seen it
before.

Had to share this.

Lou

Old September 13th 05, 03:20 AM
Chris

"loutent" wrote in message
I know that I am way behind the curve on this, but
last night SWMBO & I stumbled across our local PBS
fund raising marathon.

Usually (lately anyhow) I skirt by these, but the
documentary they were showing was so fascinating
that we could not switch channels.

It was entitled "Alone in the Wilderness". If you google
the title, you will get more info than I could provide
here.

We sat there mesmerized. If you are a woodworker, it
is that much more amazing.

Excuse this post if this is old/recycled stuff (I think
the film footage is late 60's). We had never seen it
before.

Had to share this.

Lou

Lou,
I have watched this about 5 times now, and am captured every time. It is
truly an amazing production. I do sincerely think it was one of the
greatest documentaries I have ever seen. All done pretty much by a
non-professional.

I despise PBS as of late, but it does seem like they bring this out every
time they are looking for money. That along with some great classic rock.

1968 IIRC was the year of production.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Old September 13th 05, 04:35 AM
Glen

After watching it, I bought some t-handled augers and a hollow auger to
add to my hatchet and axe. I have been waiting for the chance to make
some "furniture" on one of my next boy scout outings. It was amazing
what this guy did. Not only was he surviving out there, the was
filming himself.
Glen

Old September 13th 05, 04:41 AM
Chris

"Glen" wrote in message
oups.com...

After watching it, I bought some t-handled augers and a hollow auger to
add to my hatchet and axe. I have been waiting for the chance to make
some "furniture" on one of my next boy scout outings. It was amazing
what this guy did. Not only was he surviving out there, the was
filming himself.
Glen

Glen,
Be careful. Some of it he did not film himself. Although I think he did
most of it. If you know that he had a little help filming, next time you
see it, it will be clear the few parts he did have help with.

Still and AMAZING production.

Old September 13th 05, 04:08 PM
Larry Jaques

On 12 Sep 2005 19:35:46 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Glen"
quickly quoth:

After watching it, I bought some t-handled augers and a hollow auger to
add to my hatchet and axe. I have been waiting for the chance to make
some "furniture" on one of my next boy scout outings. It was amazing
what this guy did. Not only was he surviving out there, the was
filming himself.
Glen

If this is a movie based on the adventures of Dick Proenekke, I urge
you to READ THE BOOK! http://tinyurl.com/929c6 or
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0882405136/qid=1126619573/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-0554864-4657760?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Truly amazing!

----
- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -
http://diversify.com Web Applications

Old September 14th 05, 02:51 AM
dgadams

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:10:46 -0400, loutent wrote:

I know that I am way behind the curve on this, but
last night SWMBO & I stumbled across our local PBS
fund raising marathon.

Usually (lately anyhow) I skirt by these, but the
documentary they were showing was so fascinating
that we could not switch channels.

It was entitled "Alone in the Wilderness". If you google
the title, you will get more info than I could provide
here.

We sat there mesmerized. If you are a woodworker, it
is that much more amazing.

Excuse this post if this is old/recycled stuff (I think
the film footage is late 60's). We had never seen it
before.

Had to share this.

Lou

First time the wife and I saw this I told her she
needed to marry that guy. Or maybe I do. Man what a
craftsman. Get the book it goes into more details.

DGA

Old September 14th 05, 03:19 AM
Chris

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 12 Sep 2005 19:35:46 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Glen"
quickly quoth:

After watching it, I bought some t-handled augers and a hollow auger to
add to my hatchet and axe. I have been waiting for the chance to make
some "furniture" on one of my next boy scout outings. It was amazing
what this guy did. Not only was he surviving out there, the was
filming himself.
Glen

If this is a movie based on the adventures of Dick Proenekke, I urge
you to READ THE BOOK! http://tinyurl.com/929c6 or
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0882405136/qid=1126619573/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-0554864-4657760?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Truly amazing!

----
- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -
http://diversify.com Web Applications

Never thought about getting the DVD or book elsewhere. I refuse to give
money to PBS anymore. I will definitely be buying the DVD and book
elsewhere now. This program I am sure had nothing to do with PBS at the
time it was made. They sure are trying to make money off it now.

Same thing with the classic rock shows they use for begging money. Moody
Blues comes to mind. Do you think that PBS would of given the Moody Blues
the time of day back in their prime? Of course not. Now they are. Why?
Because the generation that liked them, now has money.

Larry,
If you have not seen the film I would strongly urge the same. Truly amazing
work.

Chris