Greg Esres

Default Removing Spilled Tung Oil

I spilled Tung oil on my countertop (plastic laminate) and I want to
remove it (it's dried). Suggestions?

Thanks
Duane Bozarth

Greg Esres wrote:

I spilled Tung oil on my countertop (plastic laminate) and I want to
remove it (it's dried). Suggestions?

Paint thinner....test an inconspicuous spot first.

I would be very careful about using any kind of solvent in the top.
Low pressure laminates found in most kitchens are not chemical
resisitive at all, and they will be radically affected by using a
solvent.

Try using a heat gun on a low setting to warm the stuff up, then scrape
it off with your plastic windshield scraper. With it warm, you should
be able to get the rest of the stuff your scraper didn't pick up with a
strong soapy mixture of household cleaner and elbow grease.

Do not use ANY kind of abrasive on your laminate top.

Robert

Greg Esres

Paint thinner....test an inconspicuous spot first.

Thanks for your reply. I had already tried Turpentine and, as far as
I can tell, it had no effect on the dried Tung oil. Maybe if I heated
first, as the other poster suggested?

Thanks!

Greg Esres

Try using a heat gun on a low setting to warm the stuff up, then
scrape it off with your plastic windshield scraper.

Interesting idea, I'll give that a try.

Do not use ANY kind of abrasive on your laminate top.

Oh, yes, I knew better than that.

Thanks for your help!

Duane Bozarth

Greg Esres wrote:

Paint thinner....test an inconspicuous spot first.

Thanks for your reply. I had already tried Turpentine and, as far as
I can tell, it had no effect on the dried Tung oil. Maybe if I heated
first, as the other poster suggested?

You could try...if it's a thick blob you might gain something.

You could try one of the citrus-based solvents. Again test first,
obviously.

I'd suggest looking at the manufacturer's page and seeing what is used
as a solvent for the particular material. If it doesn't have any
cleanup suggestions/recommendations, you could probably contact them.

Can't say as I've ever actually had the problem...
Tina

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
Paint thinner....test an inconspicuous spot first.

Thanks for your reply. I had already tried Turpentine and, as far as
I can tell, it had no effect on the dried Tung oil. Maybe if I heated
first, as the other poster suggested?

Thanks!

Laquar thinner very carefully on a rag

Tina

dadiOH

Greg Esres wrote:
I spilled Tung oil on my countertop (plastic laminate) and I want to
remove it (it's dried). Suggestions?

Maybe lacquer thinner. Paint remover for sure.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

George M. Kazaka

Pour all the lacquer thinner or turpentine you want on it will never hurt
it,
If you use heat be careful this could blister the laminate and or lift the
adhesive holding it down.

Good Luck,
George

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
I spilled Tung oil on my countertop (plastic laminate) and I want to
remove it (it's dried). Suggestions?

Thanks

Baron

When you say dried, I interpret that to mean cured. You are not going
to be able to redissolve it in mineral spirits once it has cured. I can't
say for certain if methylene chloride (paint stripper) or an ATM stripper
(lacquer thinner) won't damage the plastic laminate but I bet they do. Your
best bet is to make a tiny scrapper from a razor blade and go at it. I have
successfully used very fine abrasives with a pad on a random orbital sander
to polish plastic laminate but you must be very careful.

Good Luck.

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
I spilled Tung oil on my countertop (plastic laminate) and I want to
remove it (it's dried). Suggestions?

Thanks

Greg Esres

Ok, I was successful by

1) scraping, then
2) using lacquer thinner

Yuck, I hate handling chemicals that warn of death, blindness, and
neurological damage.

Thanks to all who answered.