DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Calculator to work out Cubic feet or metres (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/118371-calculator-work-out-cubic-feet-metres.html)

Connor Aston August 25th 05 01:08 PM

Calculator to work out Cubic feet or metres

My local hardwood supplier talks in cubic feet of cubic metres
are there any tools/software or does someone have the caluclations

Example: 40 stair treads 48 1/4" X 12" X 1" And hanging strip 48 1/4 x
3" x 1". (L shape tread) .
So how many cubic feet/metres of wood do I need?
Regards
Connor

[email protected] August 25th 05 01:38 PM

To get supplies in a usable form, you still don't want to buy them in
cubic measurements. To change inches to centimeters, multiply by 2.54
Try these:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/Measure...ne_Converters/
http://www.calculator.com/
http://www.martindalecenter.com/Calculators.html

mike hide August 25th 05 01:41 PM

"Connor Aston" wrote in message
oups.com...
My local hardwood supplier talks in cubic feet of cubic metres
are there any tools/software or does someone have the caluclations

Example: 40 stair treads 48 1/4" X 12" X 1" And hanging strip 48 1/4 x
3" x 1". (L shape tread) .
So how many cubic feet/metres of wood do I need?
Regards
Connor

multiply the values given together add them together and divide by
1728....not exactly rocket science,or did I miss something

Doug Miller August 25th 05 01:55 PM

In article .com, "Connor Aston" wrote:
My local hardwood supplier talks in cubic feet of cubic metres
are there any tools/software or does someone have the caluclations

Example: 40 stair treads 48 1/4" X 12" X 1" And hanging strip 48 1/4 x
3" x 1". (L shape tread) .

Ancient Chinese proverb: Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day. Teach
him how to fish, and you feed him for the rest of his life.

So here's your fishing lesson.

Volume = length x width x thickness

One cubic foot = 12" x 12" x 12" = (you work it out) cubic inches.

One foot = 0.3045 meters thus one cubic foot = 0.3045 x 0.3045 x 0.3045 cubic
meters.

So how many cubic feet/metres of wood do I need?

The calculation is left to the student as an exercise.

--
Regards,

Connor Aston August 25th 05 03:13 PM

Dear Sir/s

Further to you fine explination im pleased to supply the answer

Total 16.75 cub ft or 5.1 cub m

Marks please out of 10 - Thanks for the help people.

SonomaProducts.com August 25th 05 05:57 PM

I though the proverb was "Give a man a fish and you feed him for one
day. Teach
him how to fish, and he'll probably buy a bass boat and be unavailable
most weekends."

Tom Dacon August 25th 05 06:12 PM

Someone around here used to say:

"Build a man a fire and you warm him for a day; set a man on fire and you
warm him for the rest of his life."

I'd attribute it to the original author if I could remember who it was. I've
gotten a laugh from that every time I've used it.

Tom Dacon

oups.com...

SwampBug August 25th 05 08:55 PM

http://www.mpaq.com/readymix-features-2.htm

--=20
SwampBug

A. D. Coby August 26th 05 01:36 AM

"Connor Aston" wrote in message oups.com...

Total 16.75 cub ft or 5.1 cub m

My calculator tells me that there are approximately 35.31 cubic feet per cubic meter.
You might want to reconsider ordering 5.1 cubic meters.