Mike S.

Default new jointer arrived today

The new Jet 6" jointer arrived today. The driver called me on the cell phone
and we arranged a time to meet at the house. I guess he seen me limping up
the driveway so he unloaded it and wheeled it into the shop for me. All
parts are there and it sure is nice. Now to get my son inlaw to help me lift
the bed up on the cabinet. I have my little Delta benchtop in the local
paper for sale.

--

Mike S.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

TWS

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 04:10:19 GMT, "Mike S."
wrote:

snip... Now to get my son inlaw to help me lift
the bed up on the cabinet.

Mike,
an alternative is to assemble it on the floor, laying on its front,
and then tilt it upright. While you still have to deal with the
initial weight of the jointer in tilting it, the lifting weight will
reduce rapidly as you get it upright and you don't have the unstable
condition of having the massive weight of the jointer unattached to
the base - a very risky situation indeed.

TWS

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

TWS wrote:
an alternative is to assemble it on the floor, laying on its front,
and then tilt it upright. While you still have to deal with the
initial weight of the jointer in tilting it, the lifting weight will
reduce rapidly as you get it upright and you don't have the unstable
condition of having the massive weight of the jointer unattached to
the base - a very risky situation indeed.

I bought an 8" jointer earlier this year and got a buddy to help me lift the bed
onto the base. I thought it was going to be dicey but it turned out being a
piece o' cake. It was pretty stable even before I got it bolted down. You may
be worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Thomas Bunetta

snip
I bought an 8" jointer earlier this year and got a buddy to help me lift
the bed onto the base. I thought it was going to be dicey but it turned
out being a piece o' cake. It was pretty stable even before I got it
bolted down. snip
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

I lifted mine up myself.