Steve knight

Default I need to get another portable planer fast what one though?

I got to get one tomorrow as I use it everyday and can't do the job
without it.
The rubber on the roller of my delta 22-560. it seems most of the
delta's have this same front roller. I do some weird things like I
plane wood where there is a 1" block of wood endgrain glued to the end
of face grain. I think that when the block stuck up past the surface
it ended up snagging the rubber and tearing it. It took about a year
to kill the rest of the rubber.
I don't have a lot of choices locally. Delta is the most available
and in my price range
ShopMaster 12 1/2" Portable Planer with Stand #TP400LS

This about the same one I just had. I wonder if it uses the same dust
hood? Knowing delta I would need another one.
There is the ryobi at the borg but I just doubt it will hold up to
several times a day use.
None of the dewalt planers are around here but that expensive 13"
they have now.
I can get the jet for 400.00 locally but I have to get another hood
for it. So it would be 450.00 unless the dc hood is less then retail.
If anyone knows of anyone who carries the dewalt planers here in
Portland Oregon let me know.

Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
bridger

I know a couple of general contractors who have porty planers from
harbor freight, and seem to feel like they are a good value for the
money, albeit disposable machines. they do work, they lack a bit in fit
and finish, prolly aren't worth repairing when something does go
wrong... but both of the guys I know who have them seem to think they
are getting their money's worth.

I think my next planer will be cast iron and not portable.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Steve knight wrote:

I can get the jet for 400.00 locally but I have to get another hood
for it. So it would be 450.00 unless the dc hood is less then retail.
If anyone knows of anyone who carries the dewalt planers here in
Portland Oregon let me know.

Hi Steve, I'm sure you've tried Tool Peddler, but have you looked at
Western Tool?
http://www.westerntool.com/

I know Woodcraft is a haul for you but it appears they may have the
DeWalt 12 1/2" planer:
http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=planer
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
BillyBob

"Steve knight" wrote in message

I don't have a lot of choices locally. Delta is the most available
and in my price range
ShopMaster 12 1/2" Portable Planer with Stand #TP400LS

The shopmaster is a lot less planer than your 22-560. It also doesn't have
a height lock, if I recall.

If you can get Ryobi, can't you get Ridgid also? Most users seem to be
satisfied with their Ridgid planers.

Are you going to try to replace the feed roller in your Delta? Its a shame
to have to abandon a planer because of a feed roller.

Bob

Dave Hall

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:07:59 -0700, Steve knight
wrote:

[...]

The Lowes here in Pittsburgh carry the DeWalt 735. I believe that the
Home Depots also have it, but not real sure. Tool Crib had a reman
DW735 for $349, but I see you need it now, not shipped from somewhare.

Dave Hall

Leon

"Steve knight" wrote in message
I got to get one tomorrow as I use it everyday and can't do the job
without it.
The rubber on the roller of my delta 22-560. it seems most of the
delta's have this same front roller. I do some weird things like I
plane wood where there is a 1" block of wood endgrain glued to the end
of face grain. I think that when the block stuck up past the surface
it ended up snagging the rubber and tearing it. It took about a year
to kill the rest of the rubber.
I don't have a lot of choices locally. Delta is the most available
and in my price range
ShopMaster 12 1/2" Portable Planer with Stand #TP400LS

Keep in mind that most portable planers now have those darn disposable
blades which may not do well with the very hard woods that you use daily.
If your Delta has the disposable blades then that may not be a concern but
if it has the resharpenable blades like my old Ryobi you might want to
consider stepping up.

Steve knight

The shopmaster is a lot less planer than your 22-560. It also doesn't have
a height lock, if I recall.

never used the high lock though. there are advantages to working with
small pieces of wood (G)

If you can get Ryobi, can't you get Ridgid also? Most users seem to be
satisfied with their Ridgid planers.

some reason they have it on the webpage but not in the store.

Are you going to try to replace the feed roller in your Delta? Its a shame
to have to abandon a planer because of a feed roller.

yes I was thinking of replacing it for a second machine or sell it on
ebay once finxed if it does not cost too much.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Steve knight

The Lowes here in Pittsburgh carry the DeWalt 735. I believe that the
Home Depots also have it, but not real sure. Tool Crib had a reman
DW735 for $349, but I see you need it now, not shipped from somewhare.

Yes I sw it at that price too. I debated on signing up for the 79.00
program that lets you do 2 day shipping cheap but the planer would
only ship ground.
but it may be too big for what I do. I can run 5" pieces through
the delta I doubt the bigger machines would handle that.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Steve knight

Keep in mind that most portable planers now have those darn disposable
blades which may not do well with the very hard woods that you use daily.
If your Delta has the disposable blades then that may not be a concern but
if it has the resharpenable blades like my old Ryobi you might want to
consider stepping up.

acutely they have not been a issue. I get maybe three months per side
on the blades. they actually cost less then sharpening too. the planer
does so well on tropical's that I can push the blades till they are
really dull and the machine is pretty noisy.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Tattooed and Dusty

Steve,
I bought the DW735 a couple weeks ago from the woodcraft in Tigard and
haven't been disapointed. I think several Home Depots also carry it.
Acme construction on MLK had the smaller model when I was looking for
the DW735. I had a small Delta planer prior to the DeWalt and have been
entirely impressed with the DeWalt. I was planning on using it as a
stop gap until I can afford or justify the cost of a larger stationary
machine, but now that I have it up and running I don't know if and when
I will need a bigger machine. If you are interested in playing with one
prior to purchase I live in SE and would be willing to let you come
give it a try

Andrew

Leon

"Steve knight" wrote in message

acutely they have not been a issue. I get maybe three months per side
on the blades. they actually cost less then sharpening too. the planer
does so well on tropical's that I can push the blades till they are
really dull and the machine is pretty noisy.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

I keep forgetting that replacements are about the cost of resharpening. I
resharpen mine on my Tormek.

Patriarch

Steve knight wrote in
:

I got to get one tomorrow as I use it everyday and can't do the job
without it.

I've been really pleased with the Ridgid TP1300 I bought at the Borg. It's
heavier than the Deltas you mentioned, and generally cheaper, too. Comes
with a stand and dust hood included, as well as a second set of two-sided
blades.

When I did something stupid with it last winter, it chewed a set of drive
gears, rather than anything expensive. I spent $19, including FedEx, for
three, so now I have two spares.

I've used the Delta at the Adult Ed, and it takes unbelievable abuse, but I
wouldn't trade the Ridgid for it.

BTW, that last little plane you made for me is REALLY SWEET!

Patriarch
Duane Bozarth

Steve knight wrote:

The Lowes here in Pittsburgh carry the DeWalt 735. I believe that the
Home Depots also have it, but not real sure. Tool Crib had a reman
DW735 for $349, but I see you need it now, not shipped from somewhare.

Yes I sw it at that price too. I debated on signing up for the 79.00
program that lets you do 2 day shipping cheap but the planer would
only ship ground.
but it may be too big for what I do. I can run 5" pieces through
the delta I doubt the bigger machines would handle that.

Steve, you might also want to check w/ Jim in the Houston area--he
should have a whole stable from which to choose by now inexpensively
enough to afford fast freight... VBG

(Sorry, couldn't help myself...)
Andy Dingley

wrote:

I got to get one tomorrow as I use it everyday and can't do the job
without it.

Tried looking around the Houston area ?
I hear it's a popular place to go shopping for planers 8-)

Steve knight

I keep forgetting that replacements are about the cost of resharpening. I
resharpen mine on my Tormek.

I doubt I would trust too many home machines for such a task. plus
just the time involved in the process. the delta the only hard part of
changing the knives is getting them out. once out the new one drops in
and you tighten it down.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

Steve knight

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:37:00 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Steve knight wrote in
:

I got to get one tomorrow as I use it everyday and can't do the job
without it.

I've been really pleased with the Ridgid TP1300 I bought at the Borg. It's
heavier than the Deltas you mentioned, and generally cheaper, too. Comes
with a stand and dust hood included, as well as a second set of two-sided
blades.

I wanted to check it out but the store does not carry it on hand.
I got the delta and it is exactly the same as my old one. uses the
same dust hood and knives.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Lee Michaels

"Steve knight" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:37:00 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Steve knight wrote in
m:

I got to get one tomorrow as I use it everyday and can't do the job
without it.

I've been really pleased with the Ridgid TP1300 I bought at the Borg.
It's
heavier than the Deltas you mentioned, and generally cheaper, too. Comes
with a stand and dust hood included, as well as a second set of two-sided
blades.

I wanted to check it out but the store does not carry it on hand.
I got the delta and it is exactly the same as my old one. uses the
same dust hood and knives.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

Hey Steve, a couple of question for you. I know that you use a lot of
exotic hardwoods for your planes.

Is the Delta sufficient for that kind of work?

Did you wear out your original Delta planer faster because of the kind of
wood you use?

And not that I am pitching another kind of planer or anything, but wouldn't
it make sense to go to a bigger planer?

Obviously you will make the decisions that seem right for you. I was just
wondering what your reasoning/logic was.

Thanks.

Leon

"Steve knight" wrote in message

I doubt I would trust too many home machines for such a task. plus
just the time involved in the process. the delta the only hard part of
changing the knives is getting them out. once out the new one drops in
and you tighten it down.
Knight-Toolworks

Well the Tormek costs more than the planer it self. LOL.. But the job
takes me about 1 hour start to finish including sharpening the kitchen
knives and clean up. My particular planer has an adjustment bar that you
attach the knifes to. It correctly positions the knives and remains
attached so that there is no adjustment when attaching the blade assemblies
to the planer. Accurate knife changes take about 15 minutes.

John Girouard

I've got the 735, and you are correct to suspect that it isn't built
for shorter pieces. I think they recommend a minimum of 12", but if I
remember right I can go down to around 9" or so safely. Plus at almost
100lbs, 'portable' doesn't really describe this beast.

-John

Steve knight

Well the Tormek costs more than the planer it self. LOL.. But the job
takes me about 1 hour start to finish including sharpening the kitchen
knives and clean up. My particular planer has an adjustment bar that you
attach the knifes to. It correctly positions the knives and remains
attached so that there is no adjustment when attaching the blade assemblies
to the planer. Accurate knife changes take about 15 minutes.

1.5 hours no thanks. sounds like me doing the jointer knives (G) thank
god for helical carbide cutter heads (G)
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

Steve knight

Hey Steve, a couple of question for you. I know that you use a lot of
exotic hardwoods for your planes.

Is the Delta sufficient for that kind of work?

well it is for me because I seldom do large pieces of wood. if Aiwa
running full boards through it would not be.

Did you wear out your original Delta planer faster because of the kind of
wood you use?

no not really. the rubber shreaded because the wacky way I do things.
the knives acutely go longer because tearout is less of an issue.

And not that I am pitching another kind of planer or anything, but wouldn't
it make sense to go to a bigger planer?

no because I work with smaller pieces of wood.
so a bigger planer would need me to stay with longer pieces. plus I
vary the thickness so much it would be a pain to adjust a larger
planer all the time.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Leon

"Steve knight" wrote in message

Well the Tormek costs more than the planer it self. LOL.. But the job
takes me about 1 hour start to finish including sharpening the kitchen
knives and clean up. My particular planer has an adjustment bar that you
attach the knifes to. It correctly positions the knives and remains
attached so that there is no adjustment when attaching the blade
assemblies
to the planer. Accurate knife changes take about 15 minutes.

I do not leave the machine set up. The actual sharpening time after set up
about 20 minutes.