DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Question on dust masks again (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/117743-question-dust-masks-again.html)

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net August 20th 05 06:06 PM

Question on dust masks again

I've been looking over the various N95 dust-filter face masks on the
market. They sell everything from your standard "fit over nose and
mouth" rubber band models with the bendable metal ridge to squeeze over
your nose, to the "protect you from anything" dual cartridge respirator
types.

Can anyone point me to a good source for masks? The type with the
little ported vent in the front seems to be about right for my needs
(basic wood work, sawing, drilling, etc.).

I even saw some "hospital style" types that are more like wrap-filters
instead of having a molded shape.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

David August 20th 05 06:25 PM

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

I've been looking over the various N95 dust-filter face masks on the
market. They sell everything from your standard "fit over nose and
mouth" rubber band models with the bendable metal ridge to squeeze over
your nose, to the "protect you from anything" dual cartridge respirator
types.

Can anyone point me to a good source for masks? The type with the
little ported vent in the front seems to be about right for my needs
(basic wood work, sawing, drilling, etc.).

I even saw some "hospital style" types that are more like wrap-filters
instead of having a molded shape.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

I don't know if it's considered a "good" source, but I get mine at HD in
boxes of 20. I get the cheapies without the ports. The straps break
before the material has deteriorated so I don't want to buy more
expensive types unless they last a LOT longer than the ones I get (3M
8210-C contractor pack).

Dave

Lew Hodgett August 20th 05 06:27 PM

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
I've been looking over the various N95 dust-filter face masks on the
market. They sell everything from your standard "fit over nose and
mouth" rubber band models with the bendable metal ridge to squeeze over
your nose, to the "protect you from anything" dual cartridge respirator
types.

Can anyone point me to a good source for masks? The type with the
little ported vent in the front seems to be about right for my needs
(basic wood work, sawing, drilling, etc.).

I even saw some "hospital style" types that are more like wrap-filters
instead of having a molded shape.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

I like Moldex better than 3M.

Check an industrial safety supplier.

Lew

Mr Fixit eh August 21st 05 03:47 PM

Lee Valley distributes a quality n95 mask. Comfortable even with
glasses.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42207,43647

Steve

tdup2 August 21st 05 05:43 PM

Just about any type with an external cartridge will be more comfortable and
better than any paper one you can buy. You'll breath easier and not sweat
because your breath is exhaled out of the mask with that type of system. You
will tend to want to wear the mask as to "having to".
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...

[email protected] August 22nd 05 02:04 AM

tdup2 wrote:
[...]

I tend not to wear a dust mask. If I have a lot of sanding to do I use
a downdraft table attached to a dust collector and/or a faceplate that
has a filtered intake in the top back. It provides filtered air down
past the operators face. Used initially for lathework.

For spraying finishes I use a very good cartidge filter facemask.

I find the disposable masks get to moist and cause me difficult
breathing.