FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl

Default Lights

I bought some cold weather fluorescent lights today. They are half price at
Canadian Tire.
My question is....What is good distance for them to be apart from each
other? I bought 3 units. My garage is 20 x 12.

Thanks,
Frank.

Clint

Well, my plan for lighting my 24x24 garage, I was going to put in 3 rows of
2 8' lights. One row down the middle, the other two 4' from the sides
(leaving 8' between the middle one and each of the inside ones. I was going
to start each of the rows 4' from the end walls.

Hope this helps. How much were they at CT? I bought my 8' HO cold weather
ones at HD for about $50 each. They're 96W, instead of the usual 80 or
less. Not sure how much of a difference that would make, but that was the
only ones they had. They're not too bad for noise, but they do hum a
little.

Clint

"FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl" wrote in message
I bought some cold weather fluorescent lights today. They are half price
at
Canadian Tire.
My question is....What is good distance for them to be apart from each
other? I bought 3 units. My garage is 20 x 12.

Thanks,
Frank.

John DeBoo

My shop is 12x16 and I also have the 4' fixtures, total of 6 for the
shop. I ran 2 along the 12' end (other has double doors and no lights),
end to end that are about 1' apart on that end only. They are spaced 2'
out from the wall itself. On the 16' sides they are 18" apart and 2'
out from the wall, plus I started them 2' away from the 12' door end.
They are all on the same circuit but each bank of 2 has its own
switch. Mine hang from short chains and screws along the ceiling joists
so I can move them if need be, plus they are 'corded' so I put 4 duplex
plugs up there for power. With the bright white paint on the walls they
provide plenty of lighting for me to do woodworking and model building.
I toyed with using 8 but settled on 6 and can add 2 more since they
are 'portable' if the whim strikesG.

Grandpa John

"Clint" wrote in message

[...]

Lew Hodgett

FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl wrote:
I bought some cold weather fluorescent lights today. They are half price at
Canadian Tire.
My question is....What is good distance for them to be apart from each
other? I bought 3 units. My garage is 20 x 12.

Use 1 Watt/Sq Ft as a design guide.

That will give you the total number of fixtures req'd.

The rest is a geometry problem.

I could repeat giving lighting design 101 again; but, 1 Watt/ft2 works.

Lew

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:13:50 -0400, the opaque "FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl"
clearly wrote:

I bought some cold weather fluorescent lights today. They are half price at
Canadian Tire.
My question is....What is good distance for them to be apart from each
other? I bought 3 units. My garage is 20 x 12.

What are you doing in your garage?
How many windows are in there?
Do you work by day or night?
What tools do you use?
What task lighting do you have?
What size fluors did you buy? 12"? 15"? 18"? 22"? 24"? 30"? 36"? 48"?
60"? 72"? 84"? Single, double, triple, quad, 6-lamp, 8-lamp,
circline, U-lamp, with/without reflector/grating/guides, or WHAT?

Next time, clarify your question when you post, eh? g

--
Our ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouch Samples now available!
Never misplace your portable power tool accessories again!
Prometheus

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:13:50 -0400, "FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl"
wrote:

I bought some cold weather fluorescent lights today. They are half price at
Canadian Tire.
My question is....What is good distance for them to be apart from each
other? I bought 3 units. My garage is 20 x 12.

Might be the wrong question... In my first *real* shop, I mounted the
flourescents in a row in the center of the building- and quickly found
that every tool I worked at except the table saw had it's light
blocked by the shadow of my body. Luckily, those shop fixtures are
cheap, so now I just put them directly over each tool station. Works
better than some arbitrary light placement, IMO.