DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best Way to Protect Redwood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/113784-best-way-protect-redwood.html)

Buck Turgidson July 18th 05 02:35 PM

Best Way to Protect Redwood

Bought the little ones a redwood playset over the weekend. Given the
expense, I'd like to protect the wood so it lasts, and so it will have
some resale value, once they outgrow it.

I'd prefer something not too toxic (i.e. latex).

This will give you an idea of the set:

http://www.rainbowplay.com/carnival_series_106.shtml

PDQ July 18th 05 05:40 PM

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message =
| Bought the little ones a redwood playset over the weekend. Given the
| expense, I'd like to protect the wood so it lasts, and so it will have
| some resale value, once they outgrow it.
|=20
| I'd prefer something not too toxic (i.e. latex).
|=20
| This will give you an idea of the set:
|=20
| http://www.rainbowplay.com/carnival_series_106.shtml
|=20
|=20

There are a whole host of finishes for the playset. Before you try any =
of them you might want to read what they have to say about it at =20

Wood Handbook
Wood as an engineering material. General Technical Report 113.
Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest =
Products Laboratory. 463 p.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm

There is a section which deals with "Biodeterioration of Wood" and =
another on "Finishing of Wood" which will be of some interest to you. =
It certainly opened my eyes.

--=20
PDQ

Edwin Pawlowski July 18th 05 09:47 PM

"PDQ" wrote in message
.. .
"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
| Bought the little ones a redwood playset over the weekend. Given the
| expense, I'd like to protect the wood so it lasts, and so it will have
| some resale value, once they outgrow it.
|
| I'd prefer something not too toxic (i.e. latex).
|
| This will give you an idea of the set:
|
| http://www.rainbowplay.com/carnival_series_106.shtml

I've had good experience with Penofin Oil so far.

All finishes today are non-toxic one cured. Most, but not all, are when in
the can.