Rainbow

Default Sorry about this, read on.

As an MVP, I know it is not the done thing to post test messages to
non-test groups. But please bear with me as I need to prove a point to a
guy I am trying to help. His ISP is insisting that he is not seeing his
posts (to this group and others) for a long time, because he is using OE
as a newsreader. I and another MVP cannot seem to get through to him
that OE is a newsreader only, and is not responsible for the lateness of
postings, his ISP and their servers are. I am therefore posting from my
ISP to prove this point. (Actually his ISP carry no news servers of
their own, but use Giganews.)
Some of you may care to clarify what news reader and/or ISP you use just
so that he knows it's not just me belabouring the point.
Thank you for your patience.
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Han

Using Xnews, and news.verizon.net as ISP/newsserver.

"Rainbow" wrote in news:daogkj$7ge$1
@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

As an MVP, I know it is not the done thing to post test messages to
non-test groups. But please bear with me as I need to prove a point to a
guy I am trying to help. His ISP is insisting that he is not seeing his
posts (to this group and others) for a long time, because he is using OE
as a newsreader. I and another MVP cannot seem to get through to him
that OE is a newsreader only, and is not responsible for the lateness of
postings, his ISP and their servers are. I am therefore posting from my
ISP to prove this point. (Actually his ISP carry no news servers of
their own, but use Giganews.)
Some of you may care to clarify what news reader and/or ISP you use just
so that he knows it's not just me belabouring the point.
Thank you for your patience.

--
Best regards
Han
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rainbow" wrote in message

. His ISP is insisting that he is not seeing his posts (to this group and
others) for a long time, because he is using OE as a newsreader.

His ISP is full of crap. Mine show up in seconds on most servers. That
said, no news server is perfect and some postings are missed both on the SBC
and Verizon servers I use.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/.

Oldun

I had the same problem with OE, I suddenly lost the ability to download new
messages (I must have done something stupid with the computer).

My answer was to click on "Headers" in the top right of the screen, then
everything returned to normal.

Hope this helps.

Oldun
"Rainbow" wrote in message
[...]

Markem

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:40:55 +0100, "Rainbow"
wrote:

Some of you may care to clarify what news reader and/or ISP you use just
so that he knows it's not just me belabouring the point.
Thank you for your patience.

I use Agent via giganews (paid account) and have had no problems,
perhaps a better newsreader than OE but then you still have the
keyboard interface with the tactile manipulator problem.

Mark

Dave Balderstone

In article , Rainbow
wrote:

As an MVP, I know it is not the done thing to post test messages to
non-test groups. But please bear with me as I need to prove a point to a
guy I am trying to help. His ISP is insisting that he is not seeing his
posts (to this group and others) for a long time, because he is using OE
as a newsreader. I and another MVP cannot seem to get through to him
that OE is a newsreader only, and is not responsible for the lateness of
postings, his ISP and their servers are. I am therefore posting from my
ISP to prove this point. (Actually his ISP carry no news servers of
their own, but use Giganews.)
Some of you may care to clarify what news reader and/or ISP you use just
so that he knows it's not just me belabouring the point.
Thank you for your patience.

I use Thoth as my newsreader (Mac OS X 10.4.1), Shaw.ca as my ISP (and
secondary newsserver), and supernews.com as my newsserver. My posts
typically show up within 2 - 3 minutes.

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Rainbow

Rainbow wrote:
As an MVP, I know it is not the done thing to post test messages to
non-test groups. But please bear with me as I need to prove a point
to a guy I am trying to help. His ISP is insisting that he is not
seeing his posts (to this group and others) for a long time, because
he is using OE as a newsreader. I and another MVP cannot seem to get
through to him that OE is a newsreader only, and is not responsible
for the lateness of postings, his ISP and their servers are. I am
therefore posting from my ISP to prove this point. (Actually his ISP
carry no news servers of their own, but use Giganews.)
Some of you may care to clarify what news reader and/or ISP you use
just so that he knows it's not just me belabouring the point.
Thank you for your patience.
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Thank you everybody for your responses. The OP has now forwarded all my
posts to his ISP (GWI.com) for their response. I have further sent him
the Google Groups link to this thread as he can't see it via his
newserver!
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:13:29 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Rainbow" wrote in message

. His ISP is insisting that he is not seeing his posts (to this group and
others) for a long time, because he is using OE as a newsreader.

His ISP is full of crap. Mine show up in seconds on most servers. That
said, no news server is perfect and some postings are missed both on the SBC
and Verizon servers I use.

Well, I use news.individual.net, it's out of Germany, costs something
like 10 or 15 bucks a year, and gives me excellent article retention,
it's broken twice for minutes total in the last 5 years that I know of,
and it posts and gets new messages extremely fast. He doesn't have to
use his ISP's newsfeed; many of them are clueless and/or apathetic about
Usenet. Give the experts a buck-50 per month and enjoy Usenet again.
(No binaries, but for me that's not an issue)

Dave Hinz

ENGLISH

Hi: I'm the guy with OE5.5 who has the 'problem'...with my ISP. You said you
had a similar problem but clicking on 'headers' fixed it. Was it the icon
that has two envelopes and reads 'get next headers'? I'll see if I receive
this posting soon. Thanks.

"Rainbow" wrote in message
[...]

ENGLISH

Something must of worked! When I clicked on headers I received my posting in
record time, less than a minute. Does that mean the ISP was somewhat correct
and somewhat wrong and we were too? Is the 'known problem' solved by getting
the new posts via the header icon and not thru the Tools menu?

"Rainbow" wrote in message
[...]

Rainbow

Please see repsonse in OE5.5 newsgroup.
In all this time, it never occured to me that your settings were wrong.
It means the Tech at your ISP knows doodly squat about OE 5.5 and there
is no "known problem".
Kath

"Rainbow" wrote in message
[...]

Upscale

"ENGLISH" wrote in message
Something must of worked! When I clicked on headers I received my

posting
in record time, less than a minute. Does that mean the ISP was somewhat
correct and somewhat wrong and we were too?

Sometimes header lists can get corrupted. It could happen at your end or as
you download it from your ISP. Often it's just as simple as renewing your
header list as you did. I wouldn't worry about what your ISP said about OE.
If you really feel that OE might have been the problem, upgrade to a newer
version or try one of the two dozen other newsreaders out there.

Prometheus

wrote:

As an MVP, I know it is not the done thing to post test messages to
non-test groups. But please bear with me as I need to prove a point to a
guy I am trying to help. His ISP is insisting that he is not seeing his
posts (to this group and others) for a long time, because he is using OE
as a newsreader. I and another MVP cannot seem to get through to him
that OE is a newsreader only, and is not responsible for the lateness of
postings, his ISP and their servers are. I am therefore posting from my
ISP to prove this point. (Actually his ISP carry no news servers of
their own, but use Giganews.)
Some of you may care to clarify what news reader and/or ISP you use just
so that he knows it's not just me belabouring the point.
Thank you for your patience.

Forte Agent // news.airstream.com

Rainbow

Yes, his settings were not correct. He had/has it set for 50 headers.
I am not sure he wants to change it either!
Kath

Mike M wrote:
Don't use OE but saw something about this on another group. Problem
was reader was set to download 100 newest headers so he missed a lot
of posts. Don't know if that helps or not.
MikeM

wrote:

As an MVP, I know it is not the done thing to post test messages to
non-test groups. But please bear with me as I need to prove a point
to a guy I am trying to help. His ISP is insisting that he is not
seeing his posts (to this group and others) for a long time, because
he is using OE as a newsreader. I and another MVP cannot seem to get
through to him that OE is a newsreader only, and is not responsible
for the lateness of postings, his ISP and their servers are. I am
therefore posting from my ISP to prove this point. (Actually his ISP
carry no news servers of their own, but use Giganews.)
Some of you may care to clarify what news reader and/or ISP you use
just so that he knows it's not just me belabouring the point.
Thank you for your patience.

No

Using Outlook Express on windows XP. Posting using a free open news server.
No issues. ISP is local cable co but not using their newsserver.

snip