DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   linear actuator? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/111775-linear-actuator.html)

Matt July 8th 05 04:38 AM

linear actuator?

im looking for something to use to push up one end of a 7" LCD display and i
thought id use a linear actuator. Only problem is that all the linear
actuators I look at are huge, push 1000 pounds, and go way too far. Is
there anything else i could use that is small and inexpensive to get the job
done?

Morris Dovey July 8th 05 06:01 AM

Matt (in ) said:

| im looking for something to use to push up one end of a 7" LCD
| display and i thought id use a linear actuator. Only problem is
| that all the linear actuators I look at are huge, push 1000 pounds,
| and go way too far. Is there anything else i could use that is
| small and inexpensive to get the job done?

How about using a small gearmotor to drive an allthread leadscrew with
limit switches at the extremes of movement?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

bridger July 8th 05 06:06 AM

more data please. a 7" lcd is pretty small. there ought to be a bunch
of possible solutions to your need.

does it need to be decorative?
how much travel do you require?
how must it be activated?
what are you building?

mebbe a spring loaded hinge, blum self closer type?

Lew Hodgett July 8th 05 08:29 AM

"Matt" wrote:

im looking for something to use to push up one end of a 7" LCD display and
i thought id use a linear actuator. Only problem is that all the linear
actuators I look at are huge, push 1000 pounds, and go way too far. Is
there anything else i could use that is small and inexpensive to get the
job done?

Years ago there was a line of small automation type cylinders that would
work if they are still made.

They were 1" bore, some used a spring to extend the rod, then you would
pressurize the rod end to retract the rod.

There were lots of other options but I have been away this kind of stuff
for a long time.

HTH

Lew

mike hide July 8th 05 11:42 AM

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
im looking for something to use to push up one end of a 7" LCD display and

thought id use a linear actuator. Only problem is that all the linear
actuators I look at are huge, push 1000 pounds, and go way too far. Is
there anything else i could use that is small and inexpensive to get the

job
done?

Grainger has light duty electric linear actuators, I used one in a similar
circumstance.......mjh

Larry Jaques July 8th 05 05:26 PM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 03:38:29 GMT, the opaque "Matt"
clearly wrote:

im looking for something to use to push up one end of a 7" LCD display and i
thought id use a linear actuator. Only problem is that all the linear
actuators I look at are huge, push 1000 pounds, and go way too far. Is
there anything else i could use that is small and inexpensive to get the job
done?

"Small" + "inexpensive" should never be used with "linear", Matt. ;)

Forget Leon's solenoid idea. It has a 1" range and is instantaneous,
far too quick for raising that much mass even if it could.

Try www.surpluscenter.com , search for "linear". For $35, the
#5-1437 looks like it'd work for you with a rail/lever system.
Try again next week and there may be more to choose from.

It takes Burden -days- to ship, so plan on 7-10 days overall, UPS.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

mike hide July 8th 05 09:50 PM

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
im looking for something to use to push up one end of a 7" LCD display and

thought id use a linear actuator. Only problem is that all the linear
actuators I look at are huge, push 1000 pounds, and go way too far. Is
there anything else i could use that is small and inexpensive to get the

job
done?

The actuator I got from Graingers is shown on my web page
http://www.members.tripod.com/mikehide2/ . Look under desks and check the
large desk with the leather paneled top . there is a shot of the elevator
mechanism I built , the electric actuator is clearly shown in the center.
The linear actuator has an electric motor which drives a screw jack with
about 12 + inches of travel if I recall....mjh