DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can you paint an aluminum threshold? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/111599-can-you-paint-aluminum-threshold.html)

[email protected] July 5th 05 10:40 PM

Can you paint an aluminum threshold?

We ordered some doors for our house. We specified dark bronze hinges
and threshold. They arrived at the job and were installed before we
were able to check them. They arrived with silver aluminum or
stainless thresholds and brass hinges. I contacted the door mfg and
they can send me the bronze hinges to subsitute. However, since they
are installed, the thresholds can't be changed without removing the
doors and trim. Can I paint the thresholds and, if so, what kind of
paint will stick to the aluminum?

David July 5th 05 11:11 PM

wrote:

We ordered some doors for our house. We specified dark bronze hinges
and threshold. They arrived at the job and were installed before we
were able to check them. They arrived with silver aluminum or
stainless thresholds and brass hinges. I contacted the door mfg and
they can send me the bronze hinges to subsitute. However, since they
are installed, the thresholds can't be changed without removing the
doors and trim. Can I paint the thresholds and, if so, what kind of
paint will stick to the aluminum?

A painted threshold isn't going to last long, regardless of the quality
of the substrate-to-paint bond. The paint will wear off due to foof traffic.

Dave

David July 5th 05 11:15 PM

Damn typos! "foof" should be "foot".

Dave

Lew Hodgett July 6th 05 12:35 AM

wrote:
I contacted the door mfg and
they can send me the bronze hinges to subsitute. However, since they
are installed, the thresholds can't be changed without removing the
doors and trim. Can I paint the thresholds and, if so, what kind of
paint will stick to the aluminum?

You have to etch the aluminum back to bare metal, then use zinc chromate
primer (yellow stuff) followed by paint of choice.

Have done all that, it will probably take less than 6 months to wear the
finish off back to bare aluminum, given the application.

Lew

Robatoy July 6th 05 12:48 AM

In article ,
David wrote:

Damn typos! "foof" should be "foot".

Dave

of the substrate-to-paint bond. The paint will wear off due to foof
traffic.

Thank you so much for paying tribute to the oft-unheralded foofs.
I know you are trying to pass this off as a 'typo'...but we all know
better.

Foofs RULE!!

D. J. MCBRIDE July 6th 05 01:45 AM

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
You have to etch the aluminum back to bare metal, then use zinc
chromate primer (yellow stuff) followed by paint of choice.

Have done all that, it will probably take less than 6 months to wear
the finish off back to bare aluminum, given the application.

How's about an epoxy floor paint?

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

David July 6th 05 01:58 AM

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:

Damn typos! "foof" should be "foot".

Dave

of the substrate-to-paint bond. The paint will wear off due to foof
traffic.

Thank you so much for paying tribute to the oft-unheralded foofs.
I know you are trying to pass this off as a 'typo'...but we all know
better.

Foofs RULE!!

ok, I give! what's a "foof"? :) (And don't say $39.99 a dozen, either!)

Dave

Steve DeMars July 6th 05 03:24 AM

If you are familiar with truck bed coating like RHINO, you know where I am
going . . .

You can get any color and it will stand up to foot traffic . . .

Go to a place that does trucks and buy enough material to do your
threshold.

Or, go to a automotive paint store and get it there . . . .

Personally, I would pull the door and reinstall with the new trim . . .

Steve

Edwin Pawlowski July 6th 05 04:10 AM

"David" wrote in message

Foofs RULE!!

ok, I give! what's a "foof"? :) (And don't say $39.99 a dozen, either!)

Dave

Right, closer to $60

Leon July 6th 05 04:02 PM

"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
If you are familiar with truck bed coating like RHINO, you know where I am
going . . .

You can get any color and it will stand up to foot traffic . . .

Go to a place that does trucks and buy enough material to do your
threshold.

I have a similar coating on the bed of my truck. IIRC it goes on rather
thick and may restrict the way the door closes.

Lee Gordon July 6th 05 08:04 PM

Several years ago when I last painted my house, about half the storm windows
were white and half were bare aluminum, so I painted all the raw metal ones
with ordinary white spray enamel from the Borg. The paint job on those has
held up better than the paint on the house. Of course, being windows they
are not subject to the kind of wear and tear that a threshold will get.

Lee

Limey Lurker July 6th 05 08:21 PM

Usually, aluminium, when used in this sort of application, is anodized.
Coloured aluminium has been anodized and then dyed, usually by a hot
process, although a cold process can give a pretty long lasting finish.
IIWY I'd try to find a permanent marker of the required colour and coat
it myself. I might try it out on a spare piece first. Hope this helps.

Robatoy July 7th 05 04:28 AM

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Foofs RULE!!

ok, I give! what's a "foof"? :) (And don't say $39.99 a dozen, either!)

Dave

Right, closer to $60

That would be US dollars?

Prometheus July 7th 05 09:25 AM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:40:48 GMT, wrote:

We ordered some doors for our house. We specified dark bronze hinges
and threshold. They arrived at the job and were installed before we
were able to check them. They arrived with silver aluminum or
stainless thresholds and brass hinges. I contacted the door mfg and
they can send me the bronze hinges to subsitute. However, since they
are installed, the thresholds can't be changed without removing the
doors and trim. Can I paint the thresholds and, if so, what kind of
paint will stick to the aluminum?

A couple of weeks ago, I painted the fridge that came with my house
because it was a hideous 70's green color, but it still works well. I
used a couple of spraycans of Rustoelum Appliance Enamel on it after
giving it a quick scuff with 220 grit sandpaper, and then wiping it
down with TSP. So far, it's holding up well, and looks really good.
The fridge is right next to the stove, and it's had three or four
dozen meals cooked next to it with all the attendant steam and heat,
and so far there's no sign of cracking or peeling. Might work for you
as well.

Upscale July 7th 05 05:38 PM

"Prometheus" wrote in message

A couple of weeks ago, I painted the fridge that came with my house
because it was a hideous 70's green color, but it still works well.

What colour did you paint it to?

Edwin Pawlowski July 8th 05 02:47 AM

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Prometheus" wrote in message

A couple of weeks ago, I painted the fridge that came with my house
because it was a hideous 70's green color, but it still works well.

What colour did you paint it to?

Only options for that model are Harvest Gold and Turquoise.

A new ridge would have paid for itself in electricity savings. I had an old
second fridge in the basement. Dumped it, bought a new one twice the size
and my electric bill went down $10 a month.

Prometheus July 8th 05 10:37 AM

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:38:05 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message

A couple of weeks ago, I painted the fridge that came with my house
because it was a hideous 70's green color, but it still works well.

What colour did you paint it to?

Basic white. I think they had a couple of different colors there, but
the walls in the kitchen are already a blazing bright mandarin orange
color, so white seemed like the best idea. :)

Prometheus July 8th 05 10:41 AM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:47:26 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Prometheus" wrote in message

A couple of weeks ago, I painted the fridge that came with my house
because it was a hideous 70's green color, but it still works well.

What colour did you paint it to?

Only options for that model are Harvest Gold and Turquoise.

A new ridge would have paid for itself in electricity savings. I had an old
second fridge in the basement. Dumped it, bought a new one twice the size
and my electric bill went down $10 a month.

I know, but I just bought a new house, washer and dryer (which were
actually broken, not just old), and brand new car. Yet another major
appliance purchase will not be in the budget for another couple of
months, and I couldn't bear to look at that green any longer. :)