Nate Perkins

Default Latest project

Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my wife on
Mom's Day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...ts/mdaybox.htm

I know it's mundane seeing the little project pictures ... but at least it
ain't a discussion of religion, politics, or pointy sticks (I never did get
the pointy stick thing).

Guess who

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:36:13 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my wife on
Mom's Day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...ts/mdaybox.htm

Nice work!

I know it's mundane seeing the little project pictures ... but at least it
ain't a discussion of religion, politics, or pointy sticks (I never did get
the pointy stick thing).

Sure you do. They are jerks who need to get a life. I'd suggest
woodworking, or another hobby to relieve the stress, but they don't
want to go there. They'll alway be around. Just ignore them; set
your browser to list by topic and delete entire topics at one go.
It's like sorting junk mail. When it first started people got mad.
Now they just accept it, and it takes only a few seconds to
sortthrough and throw out the trash. Sure it's irritating a times, but
so are little children.

DAC

Nice job Nate! I do believe we've witnessed the birth of an
heirloom....

Darwin

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my wife
on
Mom's Day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...ts/mdaybox.htm

I know it's mundane seeing the little project pictures ... but at least it
ain't a discussion of religion, politics, or pointy sticks (I never did
get
the pointy stick thing).

Nice box, good craftsmanship.

Now your wife will have a place to keep her political buttons or offerings
if she decides to join some cultist religion. Do you have a secret
compartment to hide a pointy stick?

Did I miss anything? Oh, don't forget to use a conditioner before you stain
it.

Dave in Fairfax

Nate Perkins wrote:
Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my wife on
Mom's Day.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...ts/mdaybox.htm
I know it's mundane seeing the little project pictures ... but at least it
ain't a discussion of religion, politics, or pointy sticks (I never did get
the pointy stick thing).

Do you need a plan (free) for a pointy stick?

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Vic Baron

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my wife

on
Mom's Day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...ts/mdaybox.htm

I know it's mundane seeing the little project pictures ... but at least it
ain't a discussion of religion, politics, or pointy sticks (I never did

get
the pointy stick thing).

Beautiful work, Nate. Sorry I can't be more upbeat about it but my pointy
stick just died.

Vic

Andy McArdle

Do you need a plan (free) for a pointy stick?

If he doesn't I do. I can't work out how to chuck the aircraft; which way
does the grain run?

BTW, lovely piece of work Nate! Leaves me feeling rather more amateurish
than I think I am, though.

- Andy

Patriarch

Nate Perkins wrote in
. 125.201:

Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my
wife on Mom's Day.

Sweeeet! I like the continuos grain on the front, even across the drawer.
A veneered drawer front isn't cheating, if it's for the right reasons. ;-)

Patriarch
Joe_Stein

Very nice work, Nate. Gotta love those dovetails.

I just finished two pointy sticks...they're in the garden now holding up
the tomato plants.

Joe_Stein

Nate Perkins wrote:
Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my wife on
Mom's Day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...ts/mdaybox.htm

I know it's mundane seeing the little project pictures ... but at least it
ain't a discussion of religion, politics, or pointy sticks (I never did get
the pointy stick thing).

Patriarch

Joe_Stein wrote in
ink.net:

I just finished two pointy sticks...they're in the garden now holding
up the tomato plants.

That reminds me. I need to make some for the cucumbers. Can you send me a
link to some plans?

Patriarch
Rick

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
Joe_Stein wrote in
ink.net:

I just finished two pointy sticks...they're in the garden now holding
up the tomato plants.

That reminds me. I need to make some for the cucumbers. Can you send me

link to some plans?

Patriarch

Sure thing ... here you go: http://www.heirloomseeds.com/cucumbers.htm

Hope this REALLY helps!

Rick

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:13:22 -0500, the opaque Patriarch
spake:

Joe_Stein wrote in
link.net:

I just finished two pointy sticks...they're in the garden now holding
up the tomato plants.

That reminds me. I need to make some for the cucumbers. Can you send me a
link to some plans?

I'm sorry, sir, but those have been banned from interstate transport
by the DHS. As their spokesperson said "Heavens, you could poke your
eye out with one of those terrorist-inspired, demonic things!"

Crapsman tools are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe_Stein" wrote in message

I just finished two pointy sticks...they're in the garden now holding up
the tomato plants.

Joe_Stein

I didn't think they could be used outdoors. Do you have to do anything
special to them, like wipe them down with acetone?

Nate Perkins

Ed wrote:
Really nice work, Nate! SWMBO must be happy.

Thank you for the kind comments, guys.

Nate Perkins

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
Nate Perkins wrote:
Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my wife on
Mom's Day.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...ts/mdaybox.htm
I know it's mundane seeing the little project pictures ... but at least it
ain't a discussion of religion, politics, or pointy sticks (I never did get
the pointy stick thing).

Do you need a plan (free) for a pointy stick?

Okay, okay. I give. What the heck is the deal with the pointy
sticks???

Vic Baron

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
Nate Perkins wrote:
Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my

wife on
Mom's Day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...ts/mdaybox.htm
I know it's mundane seeing the little project pictures ... but at

least it
ain't a discussion of religion, politics, or pointy sticks (I never

did get
the pointy stick thing).

Do you need a plan (free) for a pointy stick?

Okay, okay. I give. What the heck is the deal with the pointy
sticks???

You mean you REALLY don't know?????

I suppose you don't have cat push sticks either..............

hmmmm

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my wife on
Mom's Day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...ts/mdaybox.htm

Very nice, the curly maple is very striking. What are the relative
dimensions?

Patriarch

"joeD" wrote in
ng.com:

I know how to make them for the tomato plants but I may need to buy a
new stationary tool for the cucumber ones. Let me run it by SWMBO.

I got a Jet 1442 lathe recently, but the 20" bed extension will come in
handy, should I decide to turn some Shaker style pointy sticks for garden
frames.

PS: Surprise SWMBO. That always delights them, right?

Patriarch,
who has heard that seeking forgiveness is often easier than getting
permission.
Nate Perkins

"Vic Baron" wrote in news:bmHse.4032$Pa5.3168
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
ups.com...

Okay, okay. I give. What the heck is the deal with the pointy
sticks???

You mean you REALLY don't know?????

I suppose you don't have cat push sticks either..............

hmmmm

Yep, I really don't know. And I've been here (mostly lurking) for a year
or two now.

I did get the one about the dead cat push sticks. The pukey duck contest
thing seemed odd, but I got that one too. Took me a while to figure out
the big deal with jummywood. Caught on to all the Minwax and Polyshades
jokes, and the bit about using brads until the glue dries.

Never did figure out the big deal about pointy sticks. It seemed like some
people were genuinely using fancy woods to make elaborate pointed sticks.
*shrug*

Nate Perkins

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...cts/mdaybox.ht

Very nice, the curly maple is very striking. What are the relative
dimensions?

Hi Mark,

About 14-1/2" wide, 9-1/2" deep, and about 6" tall excluding feet (the feet
are another 2-1/2").

It is really nice maple. I've got a friend of a friend who brings wood in
once a month from his mill in Iowa (the lumber is his excuse to come
hunting and fishing here in Colorado). He's got some really nice figured
maples (especially the soft maples like what he calls "red leaf"), great
spalted maples, and some awesome walnut. He used to have really great
cherry, too, but sadly the supply seems to have dried up for him like it
has for everyone else. Every once in a while he brings something unusual
like quartersawn sycamore or figured birch. Looking through that wood
every month is like being a kid in a candy store.

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 05:50:17 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

wrote:

Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my
wife on Mom's Day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...cts/mdaybox.ht

Very nice, the curly maple is very striking. What are the relative
dimensions?

Hi Mark,

About 14-1/2" wide, 9-1/2" deep, and about 6" tall excluding feet (the feet
are another 2-1/2").

Thanks.

It is really nice maple. I've got a friend of a friend who brings wood in
once a month from his mill in Iowa (the lumber is his excuse to come
hunting and fishing here in Colorado). He's got some really nice figured
maples (especially the soft maples like what he calls "red leaf"), great
spalted maples, and some awesome walnut. He used to have really great
cherry, too, but sadly the supply seems to have dried up for him like it
has for everyone else. Every once in a while he brings something unusual
like quartersawn sycamore or figured birch. Looking through that wood
every month is like being a kid in a candy store.

I'll bet. Very neat

Dave in Fairfax

Nate Perkins wrote:
Okay, okay. I give. What the heck is the deal with the pointy
sticks???

OK. Actually it's developed into a 2 part thingy. Riginally it was
because every drop-in would ask for free plans without taking the time
to search for them on their own. Showing that they were good enough to
ask but to good to look, whereas everybody else was their spear
carrier. That developed into a spoof of an in-duh-vidual asking for
free plans for pointy sticks. They can be made galootish with
drawknives, spokeshaves, and a dumbhead/shavehorse. Or you can force
them through a dowel plate. The Normite answer is to use dow makers, or
lathes to form your pointy sticks.

The second is in reference to people or weapons being dangerous, and the
jawbones of asses/politicians.

The bottom line was that people expect others to do the legwork that
they are to good to do for themselves.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.com

Dave in Fairfax

Patriarch wrote:
I got a Jet 1442 lathe recently, but the 20" bed extension will come in
handy, should I decide to turn some Shaker style pointy sticks for garden
frames.

PS: Surprise SWMBO. That always delights them, right?

Nice driveby. I prefer to make them out of cherry then stain them ebony
and finish them with polyurinestain.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.com
Nate Perkins

Dave in Fairfax wrote in
:

Nate Perkins wrote:
[...]

Ah, finally, I get it. Thanks, Dave. Some of the references to pointy
stick making seemed accurate enough that I thought for some reason people
were actually making them. Doh.

Patriarch

Nate Perkins wrote in
. 125.201:

snip

Ah, finally, I get it. Thanks, Dave. Some of the references to
pointy stick making seemed accurate enough that I thought for some
reason people were actually making them. Doh.

Aren't we? charlie b seemed pretty serious. I never figured him for a
troll.

Patriarch,
who really does need to make something to hold up the cucumbers today...
Patriarch

Dave in Fairfax wrote in
:

Nice driveby. I prefer to make them out of cherry then stain them
ebony and finish them with polyurinestain.

Dave in Fairfax

Well, yeah, but you live where cherry is a local wood. Here, we start with
walnut. But the same finishing schedule could apply, except it would
reduce the effect of the juglone.

Patriarch,
near Walnut Creek, CA...

Latest project - Dobsonian telescope Nate Perkins Woodworking 12 April 22nd 05 01:53 AM
Latest Project, and my thoughts on furniture design Joe Wilding Woodworking 6 March 20th 05 12:22 AM
Latest Project Pics Dave Woodworking 4 June 20th 04 07:55 PM
Latest project: Civil War Cannon carriage Joe Wilding Woodworking 4 February 29th 04 04:29 PM