DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to age Redwood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/108754-how-age-redwood.html)

SonomaProducts.com June 2nd 05 06:26 PM

How to age Redwood

The shop I work out of just picked up a contract to build some garage
cabinets from 100 year old reclaimed Redwood. It is all tongue and
grooved flooring and wall paneling with ancient old paint, stains and
very cool patina.

We are building the project leaving as much of this old finish in
place. However, all of the fresh cut edges need to be re-aged to
darken, gray out, whatever so they match.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what chemicals or process I
can use to age these edges?

BW

Andrew Werby June 2nd 05 08:26 PM

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
The shop I work out of just picked up a contract to build some garage
cabinets from 100 year old reclaimed Redwood. It is all tongue and
grooved flooring and wall paneling with ancient old paint, stains and
very cool patina.

We are building the project leaving as much of this old finish in
place. However, all of the fresh cut edges need to be re-aged to
darken, gray out, whatever so they match.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what chemicals or process I
can use to age these edges?

BW

[It's easy, and even non-toxic. Use a solution of baking soda and water,
painted or sprayed on. It will darken the wood and remove the distracting
pink tone that fresh-cut redwood gets.]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com