Michael Billings

Default Bench grinders

I'm considering buying a bench grinder.
Now, I realize that there are variable speed grinders (or at least delta
makes one) on the market.
Is a variable speed unit necessary? or would a heavy duty one speed grinder
be a good option as well? Also, What are the pros and cons to having a six
or eight inch wheel?
One of the main things I'll be using it for is sharpening tools. Also, for
fabrication work and whatever else I can think of.

Thanks,

Michael

George

"Michael Billings" wrote in message
I'm considering buying a bench grinder.
Now, I realize that there are variable speed grinders (or at least delta
makes one) on the market.
Is a variable speed unit necessary? or would a heavy duty one speed

grinder
be a good option as well? Also, What are the pros and cons to having a six
or eight inch wheel?
One of the main things I'll be using it for is sharpening tools. Also,

for
fabrication work and whatever else I can think of.

Fast versus slow - slow will treat carbon steel better than fast, and who's
in a hurry?

Six versus eight is partially slow versus fast in sharpening, partially long
versus shorter time between wheel replacement. What it isn't is any big
difference in the depth of the hollow grind.

Slow six on my bench. Does carving tools, plane irons and turning tools
real well.

Sharpen the lawnmower blades with the disc/belt sander.

Come to think - grass is going to need cutting in a week or so. I'd better
do mine. Once a year unless I take rocks....

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:45:12 GMT, the inscrutable "Michael Billings"
spake:

I'm considering buying a bench grinder.
Now, I realize that there are variable speed grinders (or at least delta
makes one) on the market.
Is a variable speed unit necessary? or would a heavy duty one speed grinder
be a good option as well? Also, What are the pros and cons to having a six
or eight inch wheel?
One of the main things I'll be using it for is sharpening tools. Also, for
fabrication work and whatever else I can think of.

Consider a 1" belt sander instead. It's more versatile and provides a
much cooler grinding. Belt/disc combos go for $50-90. Add a 600 grit
diamond plate + some Scary(tm) paper and Bob's yer uncle.

If you go with a grinder, get a nice, slow-speed Baldor 8-incher with
fine wheels. "ONLY" about $550 + fine wheels. g
http://www.mile-x.com/WoodMetal/Grinders/8100W.htm

Or for less money ($300+), go to www.leevalley.com and get their Mk-II
power sharpener.

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

VOTE LIBERTARIAN OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.
John DeBoo

Larry Jaques wrote:

If you go with a grinder, get a nice, slow-speed Baldor 8-incher with
fine wheels. "ONLY" about $550 + fine wheels. g
http://www.mile-x.com/WoodMetal/Grinders/8100W.htm

Or for less money ($300+), go to www.leevalley.com and get their Mk-II
power sharpener.

Christ, for $29-$39 I can buy a nice 6" and do anything the above
overpriced grinders can do, and at that price I can afford to ****can
the entire grinder and replace it several times when the wheels wear
out, and STILL not spend anywhere near $500.
Grandpa John -- not a tool collector but a tool user!

lgb

In article ,
says...
Larry Jaques wrote:

Or for less money ($300+), go to
www.leevalley.com and get their Mk-II
power sharpener.

Christ, for $29-$39 I can buy a nice 6" and do anything the above
overpriced grinders can do, and at that price I can afford to ****can
the entire grinder and replace it several times when the wheels wear
out, and STILL not spend anywhere near $500.

There used to be a 1750rpm unit from one of the ww supply places that
was well under $100. I bought one a few years back and it does work
better than the standard 3300rpm models.

By now, it may well be over $100 if it's even still available.

--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever
CW

Decide right now if it is going to be a tool grinder or for "fabrication and
whatever". If you get a good wheel for sharpening, it sucks for mild steel.
If you get the ugly grey wheels (that most all grinders come with) they
aren't very good for tools.

"Michael Billings" wrote in message
I'm considering buying a bench grinder.
Now, I realize that there are variable speed grinders (or at least delta
makes one) on the market.
Is a variable speed unit necessary? or would a heavy duty one speed

grinder
be a good option as well? Also, What are the pros and cons to having a six
or eight inch wheel?
One of the main things I'll be using it for is sharpening tools. Also,

for
fabrication work and whatever else I can think of.

Thanks,

Michael

Bruce Barnett

lgb writes:

There used to be a 1750rpm unit from one of the ww supply places that
was well under $100. I bought one a few years back and it does work
better than the standard 3300rpm models.

By now, it may well be over $100 if it's even still available.

This month (May) the slow speed 8" grinder is on sale for about $75.99
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605

And the Horizontal WetStone grinder is also on sale for $76.49
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4866

DougVL

Amen to that!

I've got a couple 1X42 belt machines, a 6" wheel bench grinder, and an 8".
The wheel grinders are rarely out from their storage space under the bench.
But a belt grinder gets used almost every time I'm in the shop. They sand
wood, sharpen drill bits, make knives and a whole lot more.
It's also very handy to be able sand with the part of the belt not supported
by the flat steel platen. Especially for smoothing and polishing irregular
shaped metal things.

There's at least one company selling special jigs for sharpening wood lathe
chisels on the Rockwell 1X42 belt sander/grinder, as one example of using
one for sharpening. There are special belts available for honing, too, as
well as a very wide variety of grits.

Doug

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:45:12 GMT, the inscrutable "Michael Billings"
spake:

I'm considering buying a bench grinder.
Now, I realize that there are variable speed grinders (or at least delta
makes one) on the market.
Is a variable speed unit necessary? or would a heavy duty one speed

grinder
be a good option as well? Also, What are the pros and cons to having a

six
or eight inch wheel?
One of the main things I'll be using it for is sharpening tools. Also,

for
fabrication work and whatever else I can think of.

Consider a 1" belt sander instead. It's more versatile and provides a
much cooler grinding. Belt/disc combos go for $50-90. Add a 600 grit
diamond plate + some Scary(tm) paper and Bob's yer uncle.

woodworker88

Now if you aren't tied to being satisfied with the trash they sell in
stores, you can buy a random surplus two-speed motor with two shafts
and have both: a slow speed with fine, good wheel for tool grinding, as

well as a fast speed with trashy cheap wheel for fabrication, rough
grinding, etc. Also: think about whether all you want to do is
grinding. My grinder has a wheel on one side and a wire brush on the
other and I use the wire brush more than the grinder.

Never Enough Money

Most slow speed grinders are 1750 RPMs. Garret Wade has one that 1120
RPM., approx $200 when you include two aluminum oxide wheels and a
verital tool rest....

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...oductID=101879

Unquestionably Confused

Anyone here have any information on the Boice-Crane "Friction Matic Wet
Tool Grinder?"

It's an ~ 8" x 1½" dia whetstone which is turned by a rubber roller that
is, in turn, pulley driven by an electric motor. All this is mounted in
a metal body which will hold water and has a rubber plug to drain it.

Found the thing at a "garage sale" sponsored by the local recycling
organization and paid a whole $3.00 for it. Other than being dusty with
a touch of surface rust it appears to be in excellent condition. Rubber
is solid and the whetstone is in good shape with a flat surface.

Searched like crazy to find out a bit about this and all I could find
was a couple of other kindred spirits who were 1) asking for information
and 2) complaining that the wheel was shot on theirs.

Would like to know if anyone has one and could tell me what size the
drive pulley should be and what they are using for a motor (I presume a
1725 rpm due to the purpose of the machine).

Unlike some others here, I'll accept stupid answers, arrogant remarks,
etc. I'm fully capable of hitting the Delete key so USENET READER,
please feel free to post.

Thanks to EVERYONE else.

B a r r y

Lowell Holmes wrote:
I have the Delta 6" variable speed grinder and I like it. !

I had a Delta Shopmaster variable speed 6".

The first example was flat out unusable due to vibrations that no
balancing, wheel replacement, etc... could fix. I returned this for
another. The second was used for about 10 hours, and the variable
speed failed. This unit also vibrated, but much less.

I finally spent 3 times as much on a Baldor. Now I know just what a low
quality tool the Delta was.

I'm glad yours is working out, I'm sure some good ones slip out of
China. G

Barry
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 05 May 2005 15:09:27 -0600, the inscrutable John DeBoo
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:

If you go with a grinder, get a nice, slow-speed Baldor 8-incher with
fine wheels. "ONLY" about $550 + fine wheels. g
http://www.mile-x.com/WoodMetal/Grinders/8100W.htm

Or for less money ($300+), go to www.leevalley.com and get their Mk-II
power sharpener.

Christ, for $29-$39 I can buy a nice 6" and do anything the above

There is nothing nice about a cheap grinder, John. And you'll be hard
pressed to buy a pair of fine _wheels_ for that price.

overpriced grinders can do, and at that price I can afford to ****can
the entire grinder and replace it several times when the wheels wear
out, and STILL not spend anywhere near $500.

Yeah, that's why I put the sub-$100 tool first. I played the Baldor
gasp card as a shocker.

I haven't touched an edge tool to a grinding wheel since I first tried
a 1" belt sander a few decades ago.

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over
150 new jobs, enough to hire the ex-regulator, the unemployed, and
the able-bodied poor." -Michael Badnarik

VOTE LIBERTARIAN OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.
C & S

I was thinking of getting one of these with the planer blade jig. If it
does a decent job it could pay for itself in a couple of years. But does it
work well?

I have only had my planer an jointer blades ground "professionaly" by a
local guy and I was really unimpressed. Living in a small town, the only
alternative is mailing them out which only adds to the cost.

And the Horizontal WetStone grinder is also on sale for $76.49
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4866

George

I'm fortunate enough to have purchased the Makita, and it's a great machine.
Last time the comparative merits were discussed, I mentioned the vast
difference in shipping weights. I seriously doubt this machine is capable
of consistent adjustment based on its lightweight construction.

"C & S" wrote in message

I was thinking of getting one of these with the planer blade jig. If it
does a decent job it could pay for itself in a couple of years. But does

it
work well?

I have only had my planer an jointer blades ground "professionaly" by a
local guy and I was really unimpressed. Living in a small town, the only
alternative is mailing them out which only adds to the cost.

And the Horizontal WetStone grinder is also on sale for $76.49
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4866

Bruce Barnett

"George" george@least writes:

And the Horizontal WetStone grinder is also on sale for $76.49
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4866

Last time the comparative merits were discussed, I mentioned the vast
difference in shipping weights. I seriously doubt this machine is capable
of consistent adjustment based on its lightweight construction.

I just bought one of those woodcraft wetstone sharpeners and used it
for the first time today.

I am having a hard time getting the water to come out at a steady
rate. Also - the lower tank does not fit well. I had to put tape on
it to guide the dripping water into the tank.

It looks like a tube should be used to make sure water falls into the
tank. Yet no tube was found in the package.

AAvK

I just bought one of those woodcraft wetstone sharpeners and used it
for the first time today.

I am having a hard time getting the water to come out at a steady
rate. Also - the lower tank does not fit well. I had to put tape on
it to guide the dripping water into the tank.

It looks like a tube should be used to make sure water falls into the
tank. Yet no tube was found in the package.

--

Probably why they're "on sale" of course, another blunder far from
"quality control" of manufacture. Go to an aqarium store for some

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

George

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
I just bought one of those woodcraft wetstone sharpeners and used it
for the first time today.

I am having a hard time getting the water to come out at a steady
rate. Also - the lower tank does not fit well. I had to put tape on
it to guide the dripping water into the tank.

Predictable weakness in the design. When the tank's full, it flows to
excess, diminishing as you go. Except for the coarsest stone, it should be
OK. For the really porous stuff, hang an IV.

It looks like a tube should be used to make sure water falls into the
tank. Yet no tube was found in the package.

Easily obtained, though unexplained why it shouldn't be there.

Bruce Barnett

"AAvK" writes:

How is the blade holder that comes with it? Can you get
a deep enough angle? what is the deepest angle you can get? some
times up to 35º is needed.

It looks like about 40 degrees. But I can reverse the tool rest and
make it nearly vertical, but not as close to the stone.
I didn't get the planer jig.....