DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Finish suggestions (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/104177-re-finish-suggestions.html)

Edwin Pawlowski April 25th 05 12:50 AM

Finish suggestions

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
I need finish suggestions for a useful project I completed today.

Should I allow it to build a patina with use, or stain and age it from
the get go?

I don't want to mess it up, as the project was completed entirely with
hand tools on locally grown wood. They don't just hand these things
out at paint stores!

http://www.bburke.com/wood/project.jpg

Nice work! Did you make it from plans?
The wrong finish can diminish the value also. I'd go natural and let it
build a patina. Anything else is too risky IMO.

Rob Hall April 25th 05 01:00 AM

I think I would like to have a little of the time that you obviously have an
abundance of grin

Rob
When the Lord calls me home, whenever that may be, I will leave with the
greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future.
~Ronald Reagan
"Ba r r y" wrote in message
I need finish suggestions for a useful project I completed today.

Should I allow it to build a patina with use, or stain and age it from
the get go?

I don't want to mess it up, as the project was completed entirely with
hand tools on locally grown wood. They don't just hand these things
out at paint stores!

http://www.bburke.com/wood/project.jpg

Thanks!
Barry

Pounds on Wood April 25th 05 07:01 PM

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

http://www.bburke.com/wood/project.jpg

Thanks!
Barry

I'd put some paint on it!

--
********
Bill Pounds

JeffB April 25th 05 07:31 PM

I see this as a perfect candidate for a premium David Marks finish. As
I recall, he starts with a sealer, then a few partially overlapping color coats,
than some textured gilding, followed by application of caustic agents, then
brushing and scraping, and finally a couple clear top coats for protection. I
understand a complete finish can take weeks or months to complete...
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

B a r r y April 25th 05 07:40 PM

JeffB wrote:
I see this as a perfect candidate for a premium David Marks finish. As
I recall, he starts with a sealer, then a few partially overlapping
color coats, than some textured gilding, followed by application of
caustic agents, then brushing and scraping, and finally a couple clear
top coats for protection. I understand a complete finish can take weeks
or months to complete...

Gilding...

I never thought of that.

Barry

Hax Planx April 25th 05 08:27 PM

B a r r y says...

Gilding...

I never thought of that.

Barry

But to protect the beauty of the gilding, you will want to cover it with
a thick coat of flat white latex. Don't use the eggshell colors as it
will dissolve the gold.

jo4hn April 25th 05 08:32 PM

B a r r y wrote:
JeffB wrote:

I see this as a perfect candidate for a premium David Marks finish. As
I recall, he starts with a sealer, then a few partially overlapping
color coats, than some textured gilding, followed by application of
caustic agents, then brushing and scraping, and finally a couple clear
top coats for protection. I understand a complete finish can take
weeks or months to complete...

Gilding...

I never thought of that.

Barry

I was gonna suggest chrome plating but gilding might be even classier.
j4

B a r r y April 25th 05 08:35 PM

jo4hn wrote:
B a r r y wrote:

JeffB wrote:

I see this as a perfect candidate for a premium David Marks finish. As
I recall, he starts with a sealer, then a few partially overlapping
color coats, than some textured gilding, followed by application of
caustic agents, then brushing and scraping, and finally a couple
clear top coats for protection. I understand a complete finish can
take weeks or months to complete...

Gilding...

I never thought of that.

Barry

I was gonna suggest chrome plating but gilding might be even classier.
j4

Yeah... I think we've got a winner!

Mark Cooper April 26th 05 03:35 AM

Gilding may be a little classier, but if you go with chrome, you could wire
that sumbitch for 220.

Anyone have an opinion on that?

"B a r r y" wrote in message
.. .

Conan The Librarian April 26th 05 07:04 PM

Ba r r y wrote:

I need finish suggestions for a useful project I completed today.

Should I allow it to build a patina with use, or stain and age it from
the get go?

I don't want to mess it up, as the project was completed entirely with
hand tools on locally grown wood. They don't just hand these things
out at paint stores!

http://www.bburke.com/wood/project.jpg

I can't believe some of the cretins who've given you advice on this.
Anything less than a coat of BLO followed by French polishing with the
finest Paddylac Superblonde would be an insult to a piece like that.

I'm surprised they didn't just tell you to slather some fruitwood
stain on it and cover it in poly or even *gasp* PAINT the thing.

Chuck Vance (oh the humanity)