toller

Default Partially broken chair?

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/chair.jpg

This chair has gotten wobbly enought that I don't think it is safe to sit
in, but I can't pull it apart to reglue it. I have put a fair amount of
force, but it will not budge anymore than shown in the photo. I am afraid
to force it, as I expect it will do some difficult to repair damage.

Any suggestions. Would working some glue in and clamping it do anything?

I assume it is held together by dowels, but do not actually know.

thanks

Al Holstein

Toller,

Assuming that it is held together with dowels and all of the joints are
a bit loose, I have had success with using a rubber mallet to take the
chair apart. I couple of taps with the mallet will tell you whether it
is going to come apart. If the existing glue is brittle it will break
up and the chair will come apart. I have had luck with this technique,
but I suspect that the chairs were not glued together well in the first
place.

Good luck,

Al