DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   BEWARE (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/102919-re-beware.html)

gary April 16th 05 12:11 AM

BEWARE

"ted" wrote in message
Picked this off another forum:

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual
identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a
test on telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should
touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing
90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone
line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your
home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many
local jails/prisons. I have also verified this information with UCB
Telecom, Pacific Bell, MCI, /BBell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

This is a halfway hoax. This will not work with a residential phone,
however it has been known to work with some commercial PBX systems, where
you must dial 9 to get an outside line.

Norman D. Crow April 16th 05 02:03 PM

"ted" wrote in message
Picked this off another forum:

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual
identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a
test on telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should
touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.

snip

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/jailcall.asp

--