DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Does fresh epoxy stick to dried epoxy? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/102652-does-fresh-epoxy-stick-dried-epoxy.html)

Icepick April 13th 05 08:39 PM

Does fresh epoxy stick to dried epoxy?

I 'm using slow set epoxy .

David April 13th 05 08:51 PM

Absolutely!

Dave

Icepick wrote:

I 'm using slow set epoxy .

Icepick April 13th 05 09:29 PM

Well that is encouraging and since I glued up a project last night I'll
let you know how it went in a couple of days.

David wrote:

Absolutely!

Dave

Icepick wrote:

I 'm using slow set epoxy .

Michael Daly April 13th 05 09:32 PM

On 13-Apr-2005, David wrote:

Absolutely!

Dave

Icepick wrote:

I 'm using slow set epoxy .

But it's a good idea to sand the surface of the old epoxy first.
That will remove any amine blush and roughing the surface will also
give the new epoxy a bit of bite.

Mike

Lew Hodgett April 13th 05 09:34 PM

Subject

If you lay new resin on resin that is less than 24 hours, no problems.

If you wait past 24 hours, the existing resin may develop an amine blush
which is easily removed with a ScotchBrite pad and water.

I always sand the old resin with a 24 grit disk before laying new resin
on top of old.

HTH

Lew

toller April 13th 05 10:05 PM

"David" wrote in message
Absolutely!

Though of course... epoxy does not dry, it hardens.

David April 13th 05 11:26 PM

True; but I knew what meant. :)

Dave

Icepick April 13th 05 11:36 PM

I roughed it up quite a bit before re-epoxing so the epoxy should bond
alright... I hope ;-)

Epoxy is great stuff . I was wondering if a non-toxic variety of epoxy
has been developed yet ?

Lew Hodgett April 14th 05 02:40 AM

Icepick wrote:

Epoxy is great stuff . I was wondering if a non-toxic variety of epoxy
has been developed yet ?

Not that I'm aware of.

Lew

Edwin Pawlowski April 14th 05 04:13 AM

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Icepick wrote:

Epoxy is great stuff . I was wondering if a non-toxic variety of epoxy
has been developed yet ?

Not that I'm aware of.

Lew

In addition to these, there are many non-toxic epoxy coatings.

http://www.lkecity.com/putty.html

Food-Safe Adhesive
A two-component, low-viscosity EP48 epoxy has high strength and good
electrical insulation properties. It can be used to seal and coat metallic
and nonmetallic substrates and conforms to Title 21, U.S. Code of Federal
Regulations, FDA Chapter 1, Section 175-105 and 173.300 for food
applications. The epoxy has a 100:75 mix ratio and is 100% reactive. It
resists chemicals and prolonged submersion in water, dilute acids,
alkalines, aggressive organic solvents, ethanol, isopropanol, mineral
spirits, and gasoline. EP48 has a Shore-D hardness of 70+ and a tensile
strength of 5 kpsi. It is available in pint, gallon, and 5-gallon kits.

Masterbond Inc.,
154 Hobart St.,
Hackensack, NJ 07601,
(201) 343-8983,
masterbond.com

Lew Hodgett April 14th 05 04:47 AM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

In addition to these, there are many non-toxic epoxy coatings.

http://www.lkecity.com/putty.html

snip

Don't confuse uncured with cured states.

Uncured, amine hardener based epoxies are definitely toxic.

Cured, they are inert.

Lew

Icepick April 14th 05 11:19 PM

Seems to have worked fine.

Icepick wrote:

Well that is encouraging and since I glued up a project last night
I'll let you know how it went in a couple of days.

David wrote:

Absolutely!

Dave

Icepick wrote: