JJM

Default "fake" wood on the exterior

Well. after 17 years, it has come time to replace the brick moulding
and the rest of the trim around the front door and garage. I was in
the Depot and saw what they were selling as solid 3/4" "vinyl" to be
used in place of pine for the exterior. Expensive at about $18 for a
10' length that is 8" wide but if I never have to worry about rot,
etc. perhaps it may be worth it.

As expected, no one there could answer my questions so here goes...

I need to paint it to match the house. Does it need to be primed or
just put on the finish coat?

Fasten with finish nails or construction adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

B a r r y

JJM wrote:
Well. after 17 years, it has come time to replace the brick moulding
and the rest of the trim around the front door and garage. I was in
the Depot and saw what they were selling as solid 3/4" "vinyl" to be
used in place of pine for the exterior. Expensive at about $18 for a
10' length that is 8" wide but if I never have to worry about rot,
etc. perhaps it may be worth it.

As expected, no one there could answer my questions so here goes...

I need to paint it to match the house. Does it need to be primed or
just put on the finish coat?

Fasten with finish nails or construction adhesive?

Great stuff!

I used wide headed, galvanized roofing / siding nails, some of the trim
included instructions stating to use them. Finish nails go right
through the shell into the foam center and don't hold well.

Any good exterior latex should work fine right on the plastic. A local
paint store recommended no primer, and my trim and plastic shutters have
held paint well. I'll never go back to painted wood exterior trim. The
PVC stuff is awesome.

Barry
Phil at small (vs at large)

JJM wrote:
Well. after 17 years, it has come time to replace the brick moulding
and the rest of the trim around the front door and garage. I was in
the Depot and saw what they were selling as solid 3/4" "vinyl" to be
used in place of pine for the exterior. Expensive at about $18 for a
10' length that is 8" wide but if I never have to worry about rot,
etc. perhaps it may be worth it.

As expected, no one there could answer my questions so here goes...

I need to paint it to match the house. Does it need to be primed or
just put on the finish coat?

Fasten with finish nails or construction adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about the vinyl-- How about using hardy trim? I think it
comes in various thicknesses & widths & is concrete based-- Use nails
or screws-- prime with concrete primer & paint as usual-- also I think
a lot less expensive than vinyl
Phil jus my 2 c

Patriarch

JJM wrote in news:uplb51haglulptkqg3j41otuv65i5136r2
@4ax.com:

Well. after 17 years, it has come time to replace the brick moulding
and the rest of the trim around the front door and garage. I was in
the Depot and saw what they were selling as solid 3/4" "vinyl" to be
used in place of pine for the exterior. Expensive at about $18 for a
10' length that is 8" wide but if I never have to worry about rot,
etc. perhaps it may be worth it.

As expected, no one there could answer my questions so here goes...

I need to paint it to match the house. Does it need to be primed or
just put on the finish coat?

Fasten with finish nails or construction adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

You ought to be able to get instructions from the manufacturer's web
site.

While you are at it, you might want to check with a builders' supply
yard in the area, for their recommendation on a competing product. They
_may_ have more information/selection for you.

There was a recent review of such materials in Fine Homebuilding, which
included suitability, fastening and finishing recommendations on 7 or 8
products.

And "This Old House" used similar materials on their latest project.
Their website has resource guides to the products they used.

Good luck. Save the wood for the places it's most appropriate.

Patriarch
Jim

I have no experience painting it, but I would try to find out how much
it moves. I know vinyl siding moves an amazing amount - pieces can
vary by inches depending on the temperature. I don't think the plastic
moves nearly as much, about the same as wood (guess) but I'd still go
with a high quality latex, no primer.

I have used the trim in only a couple of places so far, both bathrooms.
I have a window in the center of my tub, so even with a shower curtain
over the window, I needed to replace the funky wood moulding when I
remodeled. (Should have done it sooner. shudder) It has held up
well for the year or so it's been in place. The caulk is holding
tight. Ditto for the basement bathroom floor molding - no caulk there,
though.

I used long, aluminium white siding trim nails to hold it in place.
They have some head to them & the moulding is white so... It worked
out well. I did start the holes with an awl, but they drove fine after
that.

Any voids behind the trim & the stuff cracked much easier than wood, so
you want to watch for that. I certainly would use it rather than wood
outside.

Jim