Swingman

Last weeks (day 3 and 4) results is posted, if you've been keeping up.
Things will slow down now until the granite and tile crew does their thing
.... and until I get the umpteen drawers finished.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

Pat Barber

Starting to look pretty damn good...

Do you use "blocking/backing" when you add crown ???

Swingman wrote:
Last weeks (day 3 and 4) results is posted, if you've been keeping up.
Things will slow down now until the granite and tile crew does their thing
... and until I get the umpteen drawers finished.

Swingman

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Starting to look pretty damn good...

Do you use "blocking/backing" when you add crown ???

Not in this case ... the top rails are 2 1/2" wide, leaving plenty or room
for the trim, with the speced 1/2" reveal between the top of the door and
the bottom of the crown.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

Owen Lawrence

"Swingman" wrote in message
Last weeks (day 3 and 4) results is posted, if you've been keeping up.
Things will slow down now until the granite and tile crew does their thing
... and until I get the umpteen drawers finished.
--
www.e-woodshop.net

Dude! Your kitchen is spectacular!

- Owen -

Swingman

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message
Last weeks (day 3 and 4) results is posted, if you've been keeping up.

Things will slow down now until the granite and tile crew does their

thing
... and until I get the umpteen drawers finished.
--
www.e-woodshop.net

Dude! Your kitchen is spectacular!

Thanks. The granite countertops are now installed and they are gorgeous. I
took some pictures yesterday, but unfortunately only after they were covered
up with contractor's paper while the backsplash goes on. I'll try to do an
update of that page this weekend.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

Swingman

Thanks. The granite countertops are now installed and they are gorgeous. I
took some pictures yesterday, but unfortunately only after they were

covered
up with contractor's paper while the backsplash goes on. I'll try to do an
update of that page this weekend.

Pictures posted of installed granite ... mostly contractor paper, however.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/01/05

Swingman

For anyone keeping track with the new residential kithen cabinet project,
the countertop/backsplash installation is complete. Pictures posted.

Feedback (pros/cons) from anyone who has actually used, and personally
installed, Hittech Quadro drawer slides would be appreciated:

http://www.ovisonline.com/Woodworkin...ides/under.htm

Thanks in advance.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/01/05

Pat Barber

This kitchen is starting to take shape. Nice tops
and backsplash.

Where are they going with colors of finish ???

Swingman wrote:

For anyone keeping track with the new residential kithen cabinet project,
the countertop/backsplash installation is complete. Pictures posted.

Swingman

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Where are they going with colors of finish ???

I have samples of stain shades right now applied to the same wood the
cabinets are made of, and also applied to the crown molding and baseboards
in the general area, but I am waiting for the hardwood floor guys to get
theirs to us for comparison.

The crown molding in the kitchen and family area, and the cabinets will
probably be a somewhat darker shade of the same stain, and the floors will
be a bit lighter.

I let my ID choose the shades as I am basically color blind, except that I
can tell you if what I see is too light or too dark for my taste. They are
always saying things like "that has quite a bit of red in it" ... goes right
over my head. Hell, once I'd been working on a RGB monitor for hours and was
not aware that the "R" pin in the monitor cable was shorted until someone
pointed it out.

Since I've never seen it, I don't miss it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/01/05

Swingman

"David" wrote in message
Must be fun to tell which lamp is lit at night in a traffic signal. Can
you distinguish the red from the green?

Yep. I can always tell the green because it is lighter, looks an off white
and is very distinct, day or night. And during the day the red is darker
than yellow, but at night it is a toss up between the two.

I do have a problem with flashing caution or stop lights at night ... but I
have developed methods to deal with that down through the years.

Recently there is new development: left turn lights that stay lit, but
change colors ... a diabolical move for the color blind. I've only seen one
in Houston thus far, and it would have thrown me if it had not been for my
usual cautious self.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 6 May 2005 16:19:46 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Must be fun to tell which lamp is lit at night in a traffic signal. Can
you distinguish the red from the green?

Yep. I can always tell the green because it is lighter, looks an off white
and is very distinct, day or night. And during the day the red is darker
than yellow, but at night it is a toss up between the two.

I do have a problem with flashing caution or stop lights at night ... but I
have developed methods to deal with that down through the years.

Recently there is new development: left turn lights that stay lit, but
change colors ... a diabolical move for the color blind. I've only seen one
in Houston thus far, and it would have thrown me if it had not been for my
usual cautious self.

Really a strange development when you think about it. With all of the
issues related to ADA, some of the draconian enforcement, and some of the
really odd things that get classified as disabilities that goes with it, it
is really strange that a fairly common occurence such as color-blindness
was not accounted for in a product that is used almost exclusively by
government agencies.

Swingman

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Really a strange development when you think about it. With all of the
issues related to ADA, some of the draconian enforcement, and some of the
really odd things that get classified as disabilities that goes with it,

it
is really strange that a fairly common occurence such as color-blindness
was not accounted for in a product that is used almost exclusively by
government agencies.

I just chalked it up to the incompetence that goes hand-in-glove with the
declining level of intelligence of government employees, particularly in
urban areas ... examples abound:

I am apparently a wanted man ... by the city of Detroit, MI ... and I've
never been within five hundred miles of the damn place. I traded in a car to
a dealer two years ago and apparently whoever bought it from the dealer got
a $75 parking ticket in Detroit shortly afterwards. The Detroit authorities
have been trying to intimidate/threaten me with a warrant here in Texas for
the better part of a year.

No amount of documentation, or reasoning, will convince them that when you
transfer a car title in Texas, the license plates go with the car.

I now fully appreciate that being forced to repeatedly deal with blind,
uncaring stupidity like that is why the phrase "going postal" is in
increasing vogue.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Upscale

"Swingman" wrote in message news:YZKdnfsPC6UMOuHfRVn-

I now fully appreciate that being forced to repeatedly deal with blind,
uncaring stupidity like that is why the phrase "going postal" is in
increasing vogue.

Take solace in the fact that you're not the only one that is experiencing
crap like this. Fifteen years ago, I got rid of an aging car at a junk yard
up here in Toronto, Canada. Eight years ago, some employee of our vaunted
Ministry of Transportation started calling me to say that I owed money on a
parking ticket that was issued four years after I got rid of the car.
Approximately every two years after that, I receive a collection notice from
someone trying to collect for the same parking ticket and every time I have
to spend twenty minutes on the phone explaining why it has nothing to do
with me. The only saving grace now is if they demand some type of
documentation, I have a doctor's note stating that I'm confined to a
wheelchair and I didn't have a valid driver's licence at the time the
parking ticket was issued.

Swingman

For anyone keeping up with the continuing saga of the new residential
kitchen cabinet project: The cabinets, after the finish was applied, were
covered for the past couple of weeks to protect them from the ongoing paint
spraying on surrounding walls of the new house.

They have been recently uncovered and the doors installed. Pictures posted.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects7.htm

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/20/05

Tom Watson

On Sun, 22 May 2005 15:27:25 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

For anyone keeping up with the continuing saga of the new residential
kitchen cabinet project: The cabinets, after the finish was applied, were
covered for the past couple of weeks to protect them from the ongoing paint
spraying on surrounding walls of the new house.

They have been recently uncovered and the doors installed. Pictures posted.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects7.htm

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/20/05

Looks fantastic, Swing!

Congratulations!

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
CNT

Is it red oak? What Wood Finish did you use (hard to see in pic #21)?

Chuck

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects7.htm

Swingman

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Looks fantastic, Swing!

Congratulations!

Thanks Tom ... enjoyed talking to you the other day. Now, if we could just
upgrade your taste in music ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Swingman

"CNT" wrote in message
Is it red oak? What Wood Finish did you use (hard to see in pic #21)?

Red oak ... the flash increased the contrast of the wood grain much more
than you see with the naked eye. The stain is a mix that the paint
contractor came up with, and my ID approved. I don't see colors, but I do
like the stain _shade_ in both natural and indoor lighting much better than
it photographs with my digital camera and its built-in flash.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Tom Watson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:02:18 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Looks fantastic, Swing!

Congratulations!

Thanks Tom ... enjoyed talking to you the other day. Now, if we could just
upgrade your taste in music ....

Everyone on this newsgroup should know about the sweet music that you
guys play.

I've been listening to it almost every day, at least once, and I'm
listening to it now.

It's so damned crying good that it should be more widely available.

I'm dead flat out serious about this.

(watson - Wild River Band fan).

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:02:18 -0500, the inscrutable "Swingman"
spake:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Looks fantastic, Swing!

Congratulations!

Thanks Tom ... enjoyed talking to you the other day. Now, if we could just
upgrade your taste in music ....

Careful, Swingy. You've got a full-blown groupie on your hands.

-
The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com
so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
Tom Watson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:23:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Careful, Swingy. You've got a full-blown groupie on your hands.

Man, if I was in a band that attracted half century old busted up
carpenters for groupies, I'd quit.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:23:16 -0400, the inscrutable Tom Watson
spake:

wrote:

Careful, Swingy. You've got a full-blown groupie on your hands.

Man, if I was in a band that attracted half century old busted up
carpenters for groupies, I'd quit.

Indubitably, my dear Watson.

-
The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com
so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
Jason Quick

"Swingman" wrote :
For anyone keeping up with the continuing saga of the new residential
kitchen cabinet project: The cabinets, after the finish was applied, were
covered for the past couple of weeks to protect them from the ongoing
paint
spraying on surrounding walls of the new house.

They have been recently uncovered and the doors installed. Pictures
posted.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects7.htm

Great work. Lurvely. A thought, though - your page would load LOTS quicker
if you used lower-resolution JPEG files as thumbnails. You could do that
without signifcantly compromising the front page, and stick with what you've
got on the larger pics.

Jason

Swingman

"Jason Quick" wrote in message

Great work. Lurvely. A thought, though - your page would load LOTS

quicker
if you used lower-resolution JPEG files as thumbnails. You could do that
without signifcantly compromising the front page, and stick with what

you've
got on the larger pics.

Damn, you can't win for losing ... the average size of the thumbnails on the
website has always been purposely around 46 KB.

Somehow this new 6 mp camera, and the new version of PSP, combined are not
rendering the thumbnails down to that target size. Didn't even notice it
until you mentioned it. Thanks.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

B a r r y

wrote:

Careful, Swingy. You've got a full-blown groupie on your hands.

Man, if I was in a band that attracted half century old busted up
carpenters for groupies, I'd quit.

Your day job to go on the road full time?

Barry
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in message

Damn, you can't win for losing ... the average size of the thumbnails on

the
website has always been purposely around 46 KB.

That should have been 16 KB, not 46.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Lee Michaels

"Swingman" wrote

"Jason Quick" wrote in message

Great work. Lurvely. A thought, though - your page would load LOTS

quicker
if you used lower-resolution JPEG files as thumbnails. You could do that
without signifcantly compromising the front page, and stick with what

you've
got on the larger pics.

Damn, you can't win for losing ... the average size of the thumbnails on
the
website has always been purposely around 46 KB.

Somehow this new 6 mp camera, and the new version of PSP, combined are not
rendering the thumbnails down to that target size. Didn't even notice it
until you mentioned it. Thanks.

Let me get this right.

Your fancy new digital camera and other software/hardware are conspiring
against you?

Similar things happen around my place as well.

Swingman

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Let me get this right.

Your fancy new digital camera and other software/hardware are conspiring
against you?

Similar things happen around my place as well.

I feel your pain ... my paranoia has increased logarithmically with each
passing year since I built my first computer (Heathkit) in 1968. (Actually,
it might have started about the time I built that crystal radio set in the
early 50's.)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Swingman

Finally got around to taking pictures this morning ... for all practical
purposes this one is ready to fire up and maybe cook some gumbo:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects7.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Pat Barber

Nice kitchen dude...fire up the fancy stove.

Swingman wrote:
Finally got around to taking pictures this morning ... for all practical
purposes this one is ready to fire up and maybe cook some gumbo:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects7.htm

Swingman

"Pat Barber" wrote in message\

Nice kitchen dude...fire up the fancy stove.

LOL ... The gas is definitely on for the top burners, and the 220v for the
oven is definitely wired correctly, as I checked both myself. I should at
least heat up a bowl of soup to celebrate the occasion, but that honor will
have to go to the new occupants.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

CNT

VERY NICE indeed!!!!!

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects7.htm

Tell me, are those raised panel cabinets in "Projects7" Cathedral style and
the "Projects1" (Page 1) in Roman style? I am trying to figure out which
style template to buy at this time (I have none and they are $100/set).

Chuck
Swingman

"CNT" wrote in message

VERY NICE indeed!!!!!

Thanks ...

Tell me, are those raised panel cabinets in "Projects7" Cathedral style

and
the "Projects1" (Page 1) in Roman style? I am trying to figure out which
style template to buy at this time (I have none and they are $100/set).

I am not an architect by any means, however the Project 1 doors were drawn
as what I would call an "oval" arch; whereas the latter is, I believe, more
technically described as "cathedral", although they are, purposely, fairly
gentle in that respect.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Gary

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Nice kitchen dude...fire up the fancy stove.

I agree!! Beautiful work. Love those counter tops. Personally, I would
have prefered upper cabinets surroundng the window, but maybe it wouldn't
work in this application.

Quite efficient in construction time too. This would have taken me years to
build. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

One question, did you forget the refrigerator?

Gary

HMFIC-1369

Very Nice! I like the layout. I'll post mine in about a month. I went in the
opposite direction, I wanted a modern look with spending as little as
possible and as little time as possible but doubling storage and the
countertop I want. Ceramic Flooring, Ikea Cabinetry,.Silestome Counter and
Island so far including some choice tools, I'm just short of $7K. (3.5K for
countertop) After everything is up and running, I'll start making maple
cabinet doors.

Originally, I had 4 contractors bid on doing the jobs with about 14 L. Ft.
they all came back with 25K to 35K+ figures, (refacing was 18K w/2custom
cabinets). Honestly, I wasn't impressed with many of the Manufactured
cabinets, in all cases you could see where they cut costs to maximize
profits. So I examined building them, not cheap either. For quality wood,
your still going to pay for it and then even hardware like handles and
drawer slides are getting costly. Creating a overly costly Kitchen is easy
too, the challenge being in doing a mid-quality level ass cheap as possible.
Ikea gave me the all Al/Glass cabinets I wanted, for the price of just
outsourcing 1 set of A/G doors (550.00).....

Even though I'm retired my time is more money then I first estimated and
over 50 I don't move as quick or lift as much. What I realized was that very
few people when I sell the home will appreciate the cabinetry if I did it
myself, and honestly most now would redo it they're way (and break my
heart). As they say location location, location......

"Swingman" wrote in message
Finally got around to taking pictures this morning ... for all practical
purposes this one is ready to fire up and maybe cook some gumbo:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects7.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Swingman

"Gary" wrote in message

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Nice kitchen dude...fire up the fancy stove.

I agree!! Beautiful work. Love those counter tops. Personally, I would
have prefered upper cabinets surroundng the window, but maybe it wouldn't
work in this application.

Nope, that's a very good point. AAMOF, I did that in my own kitchen (added
shelves on both sides of the window over the sink) ... and there is still
room to do that for the buyers.

it's been amply demonstrated that many women prefer to have the wall space
on the sides of the kitchen windows for calendars, weather stations,
personal pictures, message boards, etc.... sometime you have to leave the
canvas blank in spots so they can fill in according to their tastes. I can

Quite efficient in construction time too. This would have taken me years

build. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

One question, did you forget the refrigerator?

Again, and in this price range, I like to leave the choice of refrigerator
to the buyer. It is a personal decision for most women who, IME, are the
ones who actually make the purchase decision based, in large part, on the
kitchen and master suite/bath ... this way their desires can be better
accommodated during final negotiations.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Swingman

"HMFIC-1369" wrote in message

[...]

I hear you loud and clear. I am 62 and starting to feel myself slow down
also, Besides being a lot of physical work, it's almost impossible to find
help that will stick around long enough to make hiring worthwhile. On this
particular job I had one hired hand for less than 3 days during the entire
fabrication and installation. (Leon, bless his heart, cut the end panels to
spec for me and saved me both time and back.)

Cabinet work in this area, even in the most expensive homes these days, is
often done by folks from a desert climate who never saw wood until they swam
over here. While some do fair work, as a general rule the workmanship is
appalling. The contrast between my cabinets and the rest of the cabinetry in
the house speaks for itself _loudly_, and usually makes a good selling
point.

That said, I can still put a good amount of $$ in my pocket by doing some
kitchens myself, and at the same time add to the selling points of the home.
I am also fortunate to be married to a veritable blood hound when it comes
to finding quality fixtures at closeout prices, and she does all the
interior decorating to boot.

Your remarks about "appreciation" are right on ... many folks don't know
quality from K-mart these days because they've never experienced it, and the
current idea is that a kitchen cabinet's life is less than 15 years.

Makes it increasingly tougher to justify doing good work, commercially, with
that prevailing wind ...

(I am betting that is one of the reasons an obviously skilled, world class,
artisan/cabinetmaker like Tom Watson is now "retired" ... and a damn shame
that is).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Upscale

"Swingman" wrote in message

I hear you loud and clear. I am 62 and starting to feel myself slow down
also, Besides being a lot of physical work, it's almost impossible to find
help that will stick around long enough to make hiring worthwhile. On this
particular job I had one hired hand for less than 3 days during the entire
fabrication and installation.

I agree that as you get older, something like kitchen construction gets
increasingly difficult. Even I'm starting to feel it at the tender age of
51. But what about the enjoyment part of it? Admittedly, if I was building a
kitchen again, I don't have a wife urging me on to get the job finished, but
I would be doing it for the sheer enjoyment of getting exactly what I
wanted. And later on, the pride I'd feel when I was showing it off to
friends and family.

Swingman

"Upscale" wrote in message

Even I'm starting to feel it at the tender age of
51. But what about the enjoyment part of it?

Yep .. just like playing music, there's only about three things for _doing
what you like to do_ that really count:

Exposure; Satisfaction; Payment.

If you can get any two of the three, you should definitely press on.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking 3 February 22nd 04 12:54 PM
Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 22nd 04 12:54 PM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 01:28 PM
Likely Extension / Building Cost? rbb UK diy 1 July 25th 03 08:24 PM