Stephen M

I like it , I use something similar on a regular basis to ease the
guilt(NOT) of being a tool whore. It also pacifies SWMBO on occasion.

Andrew

Andew! You slut!

;-)

-Steve

Todd Fatheree

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Unisaw A-100" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
They could have saved thousands more had they had the equipment to build
them themselves.

Yahbut, that's like saying you're buying a boat to cut down
on the cost of fish. :-)

Yeah that did not come out quite right. If they had already had the
equipment, they wasted money by not using it.

I like this line of thinking. I may try using this with the missus. "If
we're buying the cabinets, we're wasting money that I've invested in tools."

todd

Swingman

"Andrew V" wrote in message

I "justified" my upgrade to a cabinet saw with this project. I also
upgraded
my planer. Stuff I would have bought eventually anyway, so I can't

really
charge that completely as a project expense.

snip
-Steve

I like it , I use something similar on a regular basis to ease the
guilt(NOT) of being a tool whore. It also pacifies SWMBO on occasion.

SWMBO has always been "pacified" by a houseful of custom furniture, a custom
kitchen, and the occasional knickknack I throw together for her, or her
family, out of scraps (mainly when I am bored and "waiting for the glue to
dry" or have nothing else to do).

Case in point ... while waiting for the "glue to dry" on the two kitchen
cabinet boxes (on topic) in the background one morning last week, I made her
a holder for her kitchen calculator out of scrap Walnut, the sawed off horn
of an Oak, dadoe'd stile from the latest kitchen project, and a leftover
Walnut dowel ... took about 30 minutes and you'd think I presented her with
a diamond or something.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/CalcStand.JPG

IOW, with proper forethought and preparation, there are a myriad of ways to
insure getting ANY tool you may want ... ;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Pat Barber

Nice base cabinets...what's with the blue tape ???

Swingman wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/CalcStand.JPG

Leon

Swingman wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/CalcStand.JPG

Nail through the tape, putty on top of the tape to cover the hole and sand
the putty and tape off. Keeps putty from getting into the grain of the
surrounding wood.

Unquestionably Confused

on 4/7/2005 1:24 PM Leon said the following:

Nail through the tape, putty on top of the tape to cover the hole and sand
the putty and tape off. Keeps putty from getting into the grain of the
surrounding wood.

Nice tip. Thanks!
Swingman

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Nice base cabinets...what's with the blue tape ???

Swingman wrote:

Thanks, they're the two cabinets that make up the kitchen island, the last
of fourteen in this latest kitchen ... what Leon said about the tape.

I've been doing that for years. Makes cleanup easier on plywood,
particularly with the cheap, thin veneer stuff that's foisted upon us today
as "cabinet grade" as it cuts back on the need to sand so deep that you to
cut through the top veneer.

I've got to say that this load of "A-1" was not up to snuff. I am very
disappointed in it and have made that fact known to my supplier.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

habbi

Could you send me a copy of the file as well. I am currently building a new
house and will be ready to build my cabinets in a few weeks. Thanks

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
We're sometime this year going to embark on a major addition to our

home.
Part of that will include a completely new kitchen. For other items

I've
built, mainly furniture, I've never looked at it as much as saving money
(which I'm sure I haven't) as I have at getting something exactly like I
want and the satisfaction of building something myself. However, I have
this sneaking suspicion that there's a lot of markup in kitchen cabinets

and
that perhaps there is not only the opportunity to make something the way

want, but also to save some bucks. So, I'm wondering if anyone who has
built kitchen cabinets ever broke down the cost to buy vs. the cost to

make
(assuming, of course, that your own time has no value ;-). SWMBO isn't
exactly on board with my little project, but if I can same some money on
cabinets, I might be able to trade her for a fancy schmancy fridge.

I've
built cabinets for the shop in exactly the same way I would build base

and
upper kitchen cabinets, so I'm confident I could make them.

Absolutely worth it, IMO ... and it's not so much the "markup", but the
customized _quality_ you can impart to the boxes that you simply can't
easily find at any price these days. Even if you sub out the doors and
drawer fronts, you will unquestionably come out ahead with custom,
built-for-your-space, boxes.

Building roughly a house a year (in the $700K range) the past few years,

as
of a couple of years ago I started doing the kitchens myself as well

(AAMOF,
I am working on one as we speak), and wouldn't take the time out of a very
busy schedule to do it without good reason. I can unequivocally, hands

down
beat the subs in this area with regard to their workmanship, and in the
process stick an extra $5 - $15K in my pocket for a few weeks work (even
with subbing out the doors and drawer fronts to a local custom door

company,
or as I did on my house, supplying them with the materials and have them

use
their shapers to mill the door and drawer fronts parts for my assembly).

Give it serious consideration ... if you have a copy of CutList Plust and
can open .dwg files, I'll be glad to send you the files on the current
kitchen I am working on at the moment so that you can see for yourself

what
is involved.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

I've got to say that this load of "A-1" was not up to snuff. I am very
disappointed in it and have made that fact known to my supplier.

No kidding. My 4 sheets that I bought 2 weeks ago was pretty ratty. I
thought the good side was the bad side. The bad side looked like CDX. I
might have to go back to Hardwood Products to get my plywood.

Wilson Lamb

The sad part of this is that most of the women don't really give a damn
where the cabs come from. If you can find something not too expensive that
she "likes", it's nice to have it out of the way, if you can afford the
cost. I built mine very cheaply, and saved a bundle. I don't even use
boxes, just a joist/floor system and partitions/top hanging off the wall!
I'll try putting some snaps on abpw.
Wilson
"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
We're sometime this year going to embark on a major addition to our home.
Part of that will include a completely new kitchen. For other items I've
built, mainly furniture, I've never looked at it as much as saving money
(which I'm sure I haven't) as I have at getting something exactly like I
want and the satisfaction of building something myself. However, I have
this sneaking suspicion that there's a lot of markup in kitchen cabinets
and
that perhaps there is not only the opportunity to make something the way I
want, but also to save some bucks. So, I'm wondering if anyone who has
built kitchen cabinets ever broke down the cost to buy vs. the cost to
make
(assuming, of course, that your own time has no value ;-). SWMBO isn't
exactly on board with my little project, but if I can same some money on
cabinets, I might be able to trade her for a fancy schmancy fridge. I've
built cabinets for the shop in exactly the same way I would build base and
upper kitchen cabinets, so I'm confident I could make them.

todd

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:59:29 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

om...

Leon wrote:
They could have saved thousands more had they had the equipment to build
them themselves.

Yahbut, that's like saying you're buying a boat to cut down
on the cost of fish. :-)

Yeah that did not come out quite right. If they had already had the
equipment, they wasted money by not using it.

I like this line of thinking. I may try using this with the missus. "If
we're buying the cabinets, we're wasting money that I've invested in tools."

todd

I'd be careful with that line of reasoning. You might wind up having to
build some things that you really don't want nor need to be building. e.g.
termite-puke bookstands

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Robatoy

In article ,
"PDQ" wrote:

Must be nice living in Sarnia.

After 16 years in downtown Toronto, Sarnia is a little a little piece of
heaven. "Detroit's Yacht Club', we call it.

You may recall Canatara Park. Since the anti-topless laws were struck
down, the view has improved.
I operated a sun-tan lotion booth for a while.
5 Dollars would get the girls lotion applied to both boobs.
I didn't get much business till I jacked up the price and decided to pay
them 7 dollars per application....
PDQ

My memories of Canatara Park almost pre-date bikinis.
The Makinac race is most memorable. It's fun watching sailboats trying =
to get North against a 9 knot current. Standing under the bridge and =
eating the best fries in the territory whilst boat watching.

--=20

PDQ
--
=20
"Robatoy" wrote in message =
| In article ,
| "PDQ" wrote:
|=20
| Must be nice living in Sarnia.=20
|=20
| After 16 years in downtown Toronto, Sarnia is a little a little piece =
of=20
| heaven. "Detroit's Yacht Club', we call it.
|=20
| You may recall Canatara Park. Since the anti-topless laws were struck=20
| down, the view has improved.
| I operated a sun-tan lotion booth for a while.
| 5 Dollars would get the girls lotion applied to both boobs.
| I didn't get much business till I jacked up the price and decided to =
pay=20
| them 7 dollars per application....
WillR

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"PDQ" wrote:

Must be nice living in Sarnia.

After 16 years in downtown Toronto, Sarnia is a little a little piece of
heaven. "Detroit's Yacht Club', we call it.

You may recall Canatara Park. Since the anti-topless laws were struck
down, the view has improved.
I operated a sun-tan lotion booth for a while.
5 Dollars would get the girls lotion applied to both boobs.
I didn't get much business till I jacked up the price and decided to pay
them 7 dollars per application....

Robatoy:

How do I send you a job application?

Installing counter tops doesn't seem that bad anymore -- particularly if
I can work part-time in your other ventures...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
os2guy_in_kc

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:33:26 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

[...]

I am in the process of building a kitchen as part of building a house.
By myself, from scratch. So I love pain, so what. I happend to
stumble onto a few things that have helped my decision to build my own
kitchen cabinets,
1: The cabinets that I can affort at HD/Lowes and the like are JUNK.
2: Using "standard" cabinet sizes would waste a lot of space in my
kitchen.
3: I got access to a source of $0.32/bf red oak about 1/2 of which is
quartersawn.
4: I found in a scrap pile from a granite cabinet manufacturer enough
granite to make my own counter tops, backsplash, and island top.

I'm getting close to done and I believe that if I had to pay for
custom cabinets, countertops and such it would have spent well over
$15k as it stands now I have about $3k spent, which includes a table
saw upgrade, new thickness planer, afterall, the oak was rough sawn,
and a couple of other tools to make working with granite possible.

I have got probably 150 man hours invested in the kitchen so far.
Some of that was education, after all it takes a long time to polish
granite edges, and since we have a functional kitchen in another part
of the house, I'm in no real rush.

From my standpoint, I have the time to throw at it, and I don't have
thousands of dollars to throw at it. It seems to usually come down to
time or money. Sometimes you throw money, sometimes you throw time,
and you hope you made the right choice.

I am building my house, by myself, and I do everything from rough
carpentry to electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and cabinetry. I can say I
built this, and if its not what I want, it's my fault. I just go back
to the builder and make him fix it. Although doing things 3 or 4
times gets to be a real pain.

If you have the desire, and some level of skill, there are sharp
things involved that will hurt if you don't pay attention, and blood
is real hard to get out of raw wood, read a couple of books, go look
at the home shows and see what you like, then go build stuff.
Sometimes you get to beat on things which is real good for the blood
pressure.

Swingman

"os2guy_in_kc" wrote in message

snip of much self sufficient wisdom

If you have the desire, and some level of skill, there are sharp
things involved that will hurt if you don't pay attention, and blood
is real hard to get out of raw wood, read a couple of books, go look
at the home shows and see what you like, then go build stuff.
Sometimes you get to beat on things which is real good for the blood
pressure.

Well said ... I'd like to meet and shake your hand because doing what you
describe was an attitude, and a way-of-life, in the culture where I grew up
.... South Louisiana.

..... hard to believe an OS/2 guy can be that smart! g, d & r.

My hats off to you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

os2guy_in_kc

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 07:21:21 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"os2guy_in_kc" wrote in message

snip of much self sufficient wisdom

If you have the desire, and some level of skill, there are sharp
things involved that will hurt if you don't pay attention, and blood
is real hard to get out of raw wood, read a couple of books, go look
at the home shows and see what you like, then go build stuff.
Sometimes you get to beat on things which is real good for the blood
pressure.

Well said ... I'd like to meet and shake your hand because doing what you
describe was an attitude, and a way-of-life, in the culture where I grew up
... South Louisiana.

.... hard to believe an OS/2 guy can be that smart! g, d & r.

My hats off to you.

Hey, I'm a computer guy and I truely dislike Windoze, I ran OS/2 until
there was basically nothing left that would run on it. I used to have
a PS/2 with a Cherry case, nice frame and raised panel sides, My dad
was a jack of all trades and I enherited some of that ability. And I
hate to pay someone to do something that I can do better. So it takes
longer but it's nicer.

Does anyone know if the granite countertop folks put some kind of
sealer/filler on the stone, or just polish it to death? I'm a bit
concerned with the small pits in the surface gathering nasty stuff.

nospambob

Our 5 year old granite was sealed at installation with 511 Impregnator
and hasn't been resealed. Might check alt.home.repair or google
archives as it is discussed there often.

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:15:56 -0500, os2guy_in_kc
wrote:

Does anyone know if the granite countertop folks put some kind of
sealer/filler on the stone, or just polish it to death? I'm a bit
concerned with the small pits in the surface gathering nasty stuff.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:00:40 -0500, os2guy_in_kc wrote:

I am in the process of building a kitchen as part of building a house.
By myself, from scratch. So I love pain, so what.

Been there, done that. Very pleased with the results. There's nothing
like the feeling of accomplishment of building something so large and
complex.

I remember when I finished framing the roof (rafters, hip roof). I
climbed up to the peak, and sat on the top ridgeboard, looking out
into the distance. Pretty cool knowing that a few months earlier it
was just a field there, and that I'd done it. I used the insulated
styrofoam forms, so I did everything but dig the hole (didn't have the
backhoe/loader then), the well, septic, and concrete flatwork. I did
every nail, every board.

I'll never do drywall taping/mudding again.

I am building my house, by myself, and I do everything from rough
carpentry to electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and cabinetry. I can say I
built this, and if its not what I want, it's my fault.

EXACTLY! I know where all 3 bent-over framing nails are, and I know there's
no surprises hidden waiting to be a problem. Took longer, saved money, but
WAY easier on the sanity. Just dealing with the concrete contractors
to get someone there when I wanted them, to do what I wanted, was
nerveracking enough.

If you have the desire, and some level of skill, there are sharp
things involved that will hurt if you don't pay attention, and blood
is real hard to get out of raw wood, read a couple of books, go look
at the home shows and see what you like, then go build stuff.

Yup. It's a big job, made up of a bunch of little jobs. None of them are
all that complex, by themselves.

Sometimes you get to beat on things which is real good for the blood
pressure.

And a waffle-faced Estwing framing hammer makes a really interesting
pattern on a thumbnail. DAMHIKT.

Australopithecus scobis

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:25:00 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

Yup. It's a big job, made up of a bunch of little jobs. None of them are
all that complex, by themselves.

My parents built their retirement house (had it poured and framed). A tip
for the OP and anyone else starting from scratch: Make a copy of your
blueprints on gridded paper. Mark in different colors every wire, pipe,
coax line, fiber optic, whatever. Keep this map up to date.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

Jason Quick

"os2guy_in_kc" wrote:

3: I got access to a source of $0.32/bf red oak about 1/2 of which is
quartersawn.

You suck.

4: I found in a scrap pile from a granite cabinet manufacturer enough
granite to make my own counter tops, backsplash, and island top.

Did I mention you suck?

Jason

os2guy_in_kc

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:46:39 -0500, "Jason Quick"
wrote:

"os2guy_in_kc" wrote:

3: I got access to a source of $0.32/bf red oak about 1/2 of which is
quartersawn.

You suck.

4: I found in a scrap pile from a granite cabinet manufacturer enough
granite to make my own counter tops, backsplash, and island top.

Did I mention you suck?

Jason

Jelousy is such an ugly emotion ;-) Keep looking, there are bargins
out there.

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:10:04 -0500, Australopithecus scobis wrote:
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:25:00 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

Yup. It's a big job, made up of a bunch of little jobs. None of them are
all that complex, by themselves.

My parents built their retirement house (had it poured and framed). A tip
for the OP and anyone else starting from scratch: Make a copy of your
blueprints on gridded paper. Mark in different colors every wire, pipe,
coax line, fiber optic, whatever. Keep this map up to date.

And LOTS of pictures. With digital cameras now, there's no excuse not to.
More than once I've used the construction pictures for things like
"OK, which side of that outlet box is the stud on?", or "Where in the
floor is that heat tube", or "how did I route that cable?"

Dave Hinz

Mark & Juanita

On 11 Apr 2005 16:22:41 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:10:04 -0500, Australopithecus scobis wrote:
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:25:00 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

Yup. It's a big job, made up of a bunch of little jobs. None of them are
all that complex, by themselves.

My parents built their retirement house (had it poured and framed). A tip
for the OP and anyone else starting from scratch: Make a copy of your
blueprints on gridded paper. Mark in different colors every wire, pipe,
coax line, fiber optic, whatever. Keep this map up to date.

And LOTS of pictures. With digital cameras now, there's no excuse not to.
More than once I've used the construction pictures for things like
"OK, which side of that outlet box is the stud on?", or "Where in the
floor is that heat tube", or "how did I route that cable?"

Dave Hinz

Yep, even in the days before digital cameras, taking pictures of what
would be behind the walls was a real benefit when I built my first shop.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Swingman

Just for grins, and as if I didn't already have enough to do, I started a
blow-by-blow of the installation of a kitchen, in new residential
construction of mine, on the Projects Journal, page 7, of my web site below.

Those of you who are thinking of doing your own may find it interesting ...
and particularly the many of you who requested copies of the .dwg files and
CutList Plus files, you will be able to see what the actual beast is going
to look like in the flesh.

Still a couple or three weeks from door, drawer and hardware installation,
so stay tuned.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05

Tom Watson

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:55:07 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Just for grins, and as if I didn't already have enough to do, I started a
blow-by-blow of the installation of a kitchen, in new residential
construction of mine, on the Projects Journal, page 7, of my web site below.

Those of you who are thinking of doing your own may find it interesting ...
and particularly the many of you who requested copies of the .dwg files and
CutList Plus files, you will be able to see what the actual beast is going
to look like in the flesh.

Still a couple or three weeks from door, drawer and hardware installation,
so stay tuned.

Ya know Swing, I really enjoy your website.

It's one of those that I keep going back to.

I like LRod's, too.

Tommy Plamann's site is always fun to go back to when you haven't been
there in a while.

Maybe we should have a thread about good Wrecker's sites.

Mine is out, I only change it about once every two years.

Some guys really keep updating them and include a bunch of useful
stuff on them.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Patriarch

Tom Watson wrote in
:

[...]

So start one, but don't hide it in the replies to this thread.

charlie b's site is a good one, and ought to get a mention. Jeff
Gorman's, too.

Hey, didn't we just do one of these?

Patriarch
Swingman

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Ya know Swing, I really enjoy your website.

Why Thank You!, Tom.

It's one of those that I keep going back to.

Coming from you, I really appreciate hearing that!

I like LRod's, too.

Yep .. me too.

Tommy Plamann's site is always fun to go back to when you haven't been
there in a while.

I go there for inspiration ... a higher _class_ of inspiration.

Maybe we should have a thread about good Wrecker's sites.

Mine is out, I only change it about once every two years.

Some guys really keep updating them and include a bunch of useful
stuff on them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05

Pat Barber

It's hard to tell, but it would appear that the
flooring is NOT finished at this point.

Finishing hardwood floors is gonna be a mess.

How do you handle that in a semi-finished kitchen ???

Swingman

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
It's hard to tell, but it would appear that the
flooring is NOT finished at this point.

You're right ... they haven't even been down three days in the kitchen area
at this point.

Finishing hardwood floors is gonna be a mess.

Construction _is_ a "mess" from day one ... I am always glad when it's final
cleanup time, in more ways than one.

How do you handle that in a semi-finished kitchen ???

The boxes themselves will be installed. Then the carcasses and FF's will be
sanded, stained, sealed and sprayed, with the floors following suit. Doors,
drawer fronts, drawers and add-ons are finished separately and not installed
until the floors are completely done.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05

Robatoy

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

Just for grins, and as if I didn't already have enough to do, I started a
blow-by-blow of the installation of a kitchen, in new residential
construction of mine, on the Projects Journal, page 7, of my web site below.

Those of you who are thinking of doing your own may find it interesting ...
and particularly the many of you who requested copies of the .dwg files and
CutList Plus files, you will be able to see what the actual beast is going
to look like in the flesh.

Still a couple or three weeks from door, drawer and hardware installation,
so stay tuned.

Oh yummy!

(Rob drools at all the square footages of granite or e-stone he could
sell there. *S*) Too nice a kitchen for that plastic Corian crap. G

I still like the look of face-frame. Who started this European style
cabinetry **** anyways?
I completely agree with your stance on 'zero-loss' cabinets. Spacers
look lazy.

Can't wait to see the finished project.

*tips hat*

Rob
Jason Quick

"Swingman" wrote :
"Pat Barber" wrote in message

How do you handle that in a semi-finished kitchen ???

The boxes themselves will be installed. Then the carcasses and FF's will
be
sanded, stained, sealed and sprayed, with the floors following suit.
Doors,
drawer fronts, drawers and add-ons are finished separately and not
installed
until the floors are completely done.

So wait...you stain/finish the carcasses on-site? What's the
rationale/benefits of doing that, as opposed to doing it in the shop?

Jason (clueless)

Swingman

"Jason Quick" wrote in message

So wait...you stain/finish the carcasses on-site? What's the
rationale/benefits of doing that, as opposed to doing it in the shop?

Good question. Keep in mind, this is not my personal kitchen, so other than
the fact that I have designed, built and installed it, there is little
economic incentive to go past a certain point, to wit: not use a
professional finishing crew who will be there already.

So, besides being the GC, with a tiny shop, and having other things to do,
having a professional paint contractor who works to spec, follows a sanding
schedule, is set up to spray lacquer, has a well trained crew, can do it in
a quarter of the time, and actually makes it economically feasible in his
bid, why bother?

But it ain't always that way ... and just because I _can_ do my own
finishing, doesn't mean I have to.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05

Patriarch

"Swingman" wrote in
:

snip
So, besides being the GC, with a tiny shop, and having other things to
do, having a professional paint contractor who works to spec, follows
a sanding schedule, is set up to spray lacquer, has a well trained
crew, can do it in a quarter of the time, and actually makes it
economically feasible in his bid, why bother?

THAT'S the part that earns you the traditional wReck commentary! You suck!

The rest of us are looking at buying $1500 worth of gear, to learn a craft
with new tools and constantly changing chemistry, to say we did it all
ourselves. And 'saved' a few dollars.

Sometimes the math doesn't work...

Patriarch,
hoping no one asks about the economics of _his_ hobby shop...

Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in message news:...
Just for grins, and as if I didn't already have enough to do, I started a
blow-by-blow of the installation of a kitchen, in new residential
construction of mine, on the Projects Journal, page 7, of my web site

below.

Results of last day and a half is posted, if you've been keeping up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05

Swingman

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Do those cabinets have any finish on them
or do you finish on-site ?

In new construction there is not much point in finishing them before the
countertops and backspashes go in, because they are just going to get
splattered and covered in abrasive dust, which tends to dulls any finish no
matter how much care you take in trying to cover them up.

So, to answer your question, they will be finished on-site by the painting
contractor, who has the contract for the new residence, according to a very
specific spec sheet. He's worked for me in the past and knows exactly how I
want it done. Since they're oak and will be stained, we are also currently
deciding upon the complimentary tones for the floors, stairs and railing
trim which are close by, and the oak crown molding in that room.

I lost my helper Saturday and am having to finish up the carcase
installation and substrate by myself yesterday and today. As of last evening
I have all the base and wall cabinets installed, and the substrate for the
granite installed on those, and have only the island left to do for this
morning (and I pretty well got them leveled and ready before I quit
yesterday, so it shouldn't take but an hour or two today to get all ready
for the tile and granite crew scheduled for tomorrow).

I will spend the next week making dovetail drawers ... at this point I am
looking forward to changing gears from awkward large boxes, to small boxes
easily handled by one old man.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/17/05

Pat Barber

I worked in trim and framing as a kid(long,long ago) and
I was trying to imagine how in the hell you were going to
keep the finish looking decent with all those jugheads
beating the crap out of everything.

If you got a painter that will finish cabinets, you have
found somthing special.

In my area a painter would cover the doorways with plastic
and hose the entire room down in latex of your favorite color.

The local contractors use factory cabinets and put them at
the very end. It's a rare house with custom cabinets.

Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Do those cabinets have any finish on them
or do you finish on-site ?

In new construction there is not much point in finishing them before the
countertops and backspashes go in, because they are just going to get
splattered and covered in abrasive dust, which tends to dulls any finish no
matter how much care you take in trying to cover them up.

Swingman

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

If you got a painter that will finish cabinets, you have
found somthing special.

Agreed ... and I realize that and try to take care of him, which is not hard
as he is a real gentleman, from Mexico, and a class act altogether.

The local contractors use factory cabinets and put them at
the very end. It's a rare house with custom cabinets.

Around here also. Two things sell a house in this area: Master Bedroom Suite
and Kitchen ... so far it's been worth the effort put into those two areas.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/17/05

Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking 3 February 22nd 04 12:54 PM
Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 22nd 04 12:54 PM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 01:28 PM
Likely Extension / Building Cost? rbb UK diy 1 July 25th 03 08:24 PM