toller

Default How to clean glue scrapers?

I have bought a bunch of scrapers at garage sales, so when they got too
cruddy to use I went to a clean one.
Today I ran out of clean ones.

How do I clean them up? Or, is there is clever way to stop them from
getting cruddy? I have tried cleaning them with a paper towel after use,
but it doesn't work too well. Maybe quickly putting them in a glass of
water?

I cleaned them this time with a propane torch and steel wool, but have a
feeling that can't be the best way. thanks

George

"toller" wrote in message
I have bought a bunch of scrapers at garage sales, so when they got too
cruddy to use I went to a clean one.
Today I ran out of clean ones.

How do I clean them up? Or, is there is clever way to stop them from
getting cruddy? I have tried cleaning them with a paper towel after use,
but it doesn't work too well. Maybe quickly putting them in a glass of
water?

I cleaned them this time with a propane torch and steel wool, but have a
feeling that can't be the best way. thanks

What kind of glue? PVA responds to vinegar. Polyu to acetone. Those
throwaway Glad containers will work with vinegar, might with acetone. Check
and see.

Imagine that torch may have annealed your edge.

Duane Bozarth

toller wrote:

...is there is clever way to stop them from
getting cruddy? ...

Wait until the glue isn't so sticky is the surest way. Sounds to me
like you're scraping too soon (and cutting down the amount of glue so
you don't have excessive squeeze out might be another thing to
watch--there's really no need for much at all--all that ends up on the
surface is just wasted material and extra effort).
toller

"George" george@least wrote in message

"toller" wrote in message
I have bought a bunch of scrapers at garage sales, so when they got too
cruddy to use I went to a clean one.
Today I ran out of clean ones.

How do I clean them up? Or, is there is clever way to stop them from
getting cruddy? I have tried cleaning them with a paper towel after use,
but it doesn't work too well. Maybe quickly putting them in a glass of
water?

I cleaned them this time with a propane torch and steel wool, but have a
feeling that can't be the best way. thanks

What kind of glue? PVA responds to vinegar. Polyu to acetone. Those
throwaway Glad containers will work with vinegar, might with acetone.
Check
and see.

PVA. Will try it today.

Imagine that torch may have annealed your edge.

Yeh, I thought of that while I was doing it; but they never got hot enough
to color and I cooled them right afterwards in water. I'll hope for the
best.

dadiOH

toller wrote:
I have bought a bunch of scrapers at garage sales, so when they got
too cruddy to use I went to a clean one.
Today I ran out of clean ones.

How do I clean them up? Or, is there is clever way to stop them from
getting cruddy?

Don't scrape until the glue is dry.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Lew Hodgett

toller wrote:

I have bought a bunch of scrapers at garage sales, so when they got
too cruddy to use I went to a clean one.
Today I ran out of clean ones.

How do I clean them up? Or, is there is clever way to stop them from
getting cruddy?

Some things to consider:

1) Don't apply so much glue.

2) Wait till the glue is at least cured into the "green" state before
trying to remove.

3) Use a 1,500 watt heat gun and an 8" dia wire wheel on your bench
grinder to clean scraper blades.

BTDT, have T-Shirt

HTH

Lew
Teamcasa

toller said
snip
How do I clean them up? Or, is there is clever way to stop them from
getting cruddy? I have tried cleaning them with a paper towel after use,
but it doesn't work too well. Maybe quickly putting them in a glass of
water?

As others have stated, wait until the glue dries a little more. I've been a
fan of protecting the wood with blue painters tape. It really makes
clean-up faster.

To clean really old, rusty or glue covered scrapers:
use double stick tape to attach the scraper to a large scrap that's clamped
securely to your bench,
get a piece of hardboard and attach some stick-on sandpaper,
get your trusty PC 505 and double stick it to the hardboard,
sand clean to 220, tune, sharpen and burnish.

Note: If a PC 505 is not on the shelf, most any ROS will work.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Unquestionably Confused

on 4/5/2005 3:43 PM Teamcasa said the following:
toller said
As others have stated, wait until the glue dries a little more. I've been a
fan of protecting the wood with blue painters tape. It really makes
clean-up faster.

As others have said, use a bit less glue. Some squeeze-out is, I guess,
inevitable.

I long ago read a tip somewhere that it's best - particularly when
you're not going to paint the wood - to let the glue dry completely and
THEN pare it off with an appropriately sharpened chisel and finish with
a steel finishing scraper. If you're doing right there won't be
anything to remove from either the chisel or the scraper and if you keep
your mitts of the glue line until it sets up as above you won't drive
the glue into the wood where it will affect the finish or require you to
sand it down to remove it.

toller wrote:
I have bought a bunch of scrapers at garage sales, so when they got

too
cruddy to use I went to a clean one.
Today I ran out of clean ones.

I like the "disposable" plastic putty knives. Pretty much nothing
stick to them, one dry you can just flex them and the gunk pops
off.

If you are careless about cleaning your putty knives while the
gunk is still wet, the "dispioable" ones last longer than the
steel ones.

--

FF

Rich

wrote in message
oups.com...

toller wrote:
I have bought a bunch of scrapers at garage sales, so when they got

too
cruddy to use I went to a clean one.
Today I ran out of clean ones.

I like the "disposable" plastic putty knives. Pretty much nothing
stick to them, one dry you can just flex them and the gunk pops
off.

If you are careless about cleaning your putty knives while the
gunk is still wet, the "dispioable" ones last longer than the
steel ones.

--

FF

I use credit cards that come with my name but there not real cards, just
them hoping I sign up but they are really good for this useage and if one
gets gunky, trash it. Your out nothing!

Rich

Peter Ashby

Rich wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

toller wrote:
I have bought a bunch of scrapers at garage sales, so when they got

too
cruddy to use I went to a clean one.
Today I ran out of clean ones.

I like the "disposable" plastic putty knives. Pretty much nothing
stick to them, one dry you can just flex them and the gunk pops
off.

If you are careless about cleaning your putty knives while the
gunk is still wet, the "dispioable" ones last longer than the
steel ones.

--

FF

I use credit cards that come with my name but there not real cards, just
them hoping I sign up but they are really good for this useage and if one
gets gunky, trash it. Your out nothing!

Me too, I have a nice thick one that entitled me to meals at U of
Washington, Seattle at a conference. Another one was a business card
from a garage that used to service our car. They work best when the glue
is rubbery but not fully set. They knock any drips off my waxed bench
top really well too, no scratches.

Peter
J. Clarke

Peter Ashby wrote:

Rich wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

toller wrote:
[...]

I just had a notion--anybody ever try to cut an AOL CD into a few glue
scrapers?

Peter

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Peter Ashby

J. Clarke wrote:

Peter Ashby wrote:

Rich wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

toller wrote:
[...]

You mean actually open the shrinkwrap before throwing it away? Eeuugh!

Peter