AAvK

Default hand saw blade guards, need a source

Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of plastic,
slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to sell them but they
are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it and the only source was at
WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is like..."whopping" for all I need, 7 guards.
Any pointers much appreciated!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

Sorry not "WWS" (woodworker's supply)...I meant highland-hardware.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Lobby Dosser

"AAvK" wrote:

Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of
plastic, slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to
sell them but they are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it
and the only source was at WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is
like..."whopping" for all I need, 7 guards. Any pointers much
appreciated!

Depending on length of saw and how much fiddling you wan to do, you might
want to take a look at the slide on 'report' binders sold in places like
Staples. IIRC, they're pretty cheap and operate on the same principle.

AAvK wrote:
Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of

plastic,
slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to sell

them but they
are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it and the only

source was at
WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is like..."whopping" for all I need, 7

guards.
Any pointers much appreciated!

For small saws try Office Depot or Staples. The spines used for
report covers work well.

For larger saws slitting the smallest PVC pipe you can find (1/8" pipe
is just under 1/4" ID) should work or you can make your own out of
wood.

Wood is probably better than PVC. The latter will give off a little
hydrogen cloride over time and may damage the saw.

--

FF

Norman D. Crow

wrote in message
ups.com...

AAvK wrote:
Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of

plastic,
slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to sell

them but they
are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it and the only

source was at
WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is like..."whopping" for all I need, 7

guards.
Any pointers much appreciated!

For small saws try Office Depot or Staples. The spines used for
report covers work well.

For larger saws slitting the smallest PVC pipe you can find (1/8" pipe
is just under 1/4" ID) should work or you can make your own out of
wood.

Wood is probably better than PVC. The latter will give off a little
hydrogen cloride over time and may damage the saw.

'Nother alternative, try slitting some 1/4 or 5/16" vacuum hose.

Nahmie

George E. Cawthon

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"AAvK" wrote:

Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of
plastic, slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to
sell them but they are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it
and the only source was at WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is
like..."whopping" for all I need, 7 guards. Any pointers much
appreciated!

Depending on length of saw and how much fiddling you wan to do, you might
want to take a look at the slide on 'report' binders sold in places like
Staples. IIRC, they're pretty cheap and operate on the same principle.

Hey, that's a great idea. I hate those crappy
things, but they would work great on a saw.
Patriarch

Lobby Dosser wrote in

"AAvK" wrote:

Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of
plastic, slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to
sell them but they are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it
and the only source was at WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is
like..."whopping" for all I need, 7 guards. Any pointers much
appreciated!

Depending on length of saw and how much fiddling you wan to do, you
might want to take a look at the slide on 'report' binders sold in
places like Staples. IIRC, they're pretty cheap and operate on the
same principle.

The sharpening service I use, Bay Area Carbide, in Concord, CA, uses a
sliced plastic tubing to cover the teeth of the circular blades after
sharpening. They also have a slide/clip cover for the hand saws they did
for me. So next time you have a sawblade sharpened, or buy a new blade, or
router/shaper bits, or similar, ask the counter person of you can buy a
couple of extras. Turns out I couldn't buy any, but they gave me a few.
After three or four years, they recognize me a little.

Good folks, mentioned by name in response to Morris' micro-rant in an
earlier post.

Patriarch
AAvK

I guess that is the special pipe they have in the back, with negative
wall thickness! g

How about cheap garden hose or similar tubing for large saws?

For that thought I then thought "why not rubber medical tubing" for
hand saws? ...I think making that slice would be something to think
about, to do it evenly.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

CW

Garden hose, split down the middle.

"AAvK" wrote in message
newsXW3e.52727$AN1.6759@fed1read03...

Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of plastic,
slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to sell them but

they
are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it and the only source was

at
WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is like..."whopping" for all I need, 7

guards.
Any pointers much appreciated!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

OK guys I went ahead and bought into those expensive ones,
thicker plastic and made for the job exactly. Donwanna deal
with going crazy over the solution of saving $$$ and then
doing the work it takes... they should last and it was easier
just to order them. My 1st order with HH so I'll see how
they perform too. Thanks greatly for all the humor, I love
every one of you guys. I really do... everyone is a brother.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

Garden hose, split down the middle.

Kinda massive for just a basic hand saw I think...? Yoogly too!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:02:44 -0400, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

wrote in message
oups.com...

AAvK wrote:
[...]

C'mon, guys. Can you say "saw till"? I knew you could.
http://www.shavings.net/sawtill.html (smaller, houses 16-20 saws)
http://homepage.mac.com/oldmillrat/PhotoAlbum49.html (larger, 48 saws)

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Lobby Dosser

"AAvK" wrote:

OK guys I went ahead and bought into those expensive ones,
thicker plastic and made for the job exactly. Donwanna deal
with going crazy over the solution of saving $$$ and then
doing the work it takes... they should last and it was easier
just to order them. My 1st order with HH so I'll see how
they perform too. Thanks greatly for all the humor, I love
every one of you guys. I really do... everyone is a brother.

STOP PRESS!! Vinyl Glazing Channel/Spline at the Borg?
AAvK

STOP PRESS!! Vinyl Glazing Channel/Spline at the Borg?

Spline at the borg? Vinyl glazing channel? That the same idea as those
plastic binders rib things at staples? Only longer?

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Doug Miller

In article pXW3e.52727$AN1.6759@fed1read03, "AAvK" wrote:

Anyone know a good source of cheap hand saw blade guards made of plastic,
slide-ons for covering the teeth? I think Lee Valley used to sell them but they
are no longer listed that I can find. I DAYS-ed it and the only source was at
WWS, $3.99 @27" each and that is like..."whopping" for all I need, 7 guards.
Any pointers much appreciated!

I got a bunch of 'em at Sears, lo these many years ago. Don't know if they
still have them, though...

--
Regards,

Lobby Dosser

"AAvK" wrote:

STOP PRESS!! Vinyl Glazing Channel/Spline at the Borg?

Spline at the borg? Vinyl glazing channel? That the same idea as those
plastic binders rib things at staples? Only longer?

Yes. See also the post about the 8' lengths of plastic channel for
decorative panels.

alexy

alexy wrote:
wrote:

For larger saws slitting the smallest PVC pipe you can find (1/8"

pipe
is just under 1/4" ID) should work or you can make your own out of
wood.

I guess that is the special pipe they have in the back, with negative
wall thickness! g

*I* realize you were making a joke but for the benefit of those
who don't get it:

http://www.harvel.com/pipepvc-sch40-80-dim.asp

Yes, but did you realize that I was making a joke out of ignorance? I
assumed you reversed the 1/8 and 1/4. Your cite caused me to do a
little more digging to find out what is going on with these pipe
sizes, and I found this explanation of nominal pipe size or iron pipe
size: http://www.keidel.com/mech/pvf/pipe-intro.htm

So, thanks for the education, and apologies for my uninformed but
light-hearted ribbing!

alexy

"AAvK" wrote:

Garden hose, split down the middle.

Kinda massive for just a basic hand saw I think...?

True. But just cut it to length and throw away the remaining 73'6"!

Yoogly too!

No argument there. But there is lots of clear pliable plastic (isn't
that redundant?) tubing that would work well.
Jim

To cover my handsaw blades, I've been using vinyl undersill - it's for
vinyl siding when you cut the top nailer off & need to finish it off &
stiffen it. It comes in 10' sections & I used to just pick up an extra
scrap off a job. I actually had to go out & buy a piece for $3 or so a
few years back. Still have enough for a couple of saws left.

Not all of it is made exactly the same. Look around a little & try to
get the tighter version, if you can. Some is a little boxy & doesn't
grip the blade quite as well.

Jim

AAvK

BTW all, Highland hardware delivered the guards nicely but pretty slowly!
Ordered on the 3rd, got them on the 12th. They are thick and soft, bendy,
easy to cut to size (did it with a chisel), and a bit hard and slow to slide on.
Not supremely worth it for the munee.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

Ordered on the 3rd, got them on the 12th.

OOPS! 11th... sorry.