brianlanning

Default Which would you choose?

I'm cosidering getting an edge sander and spindle sander from grizzly.
I had planned on getting the G1071 spindle sander and the G0512 (or
maybe G1140 or G1531) edge sander. Then I noticed that they had what
looks like a new tool. It's the G0563 edge sander.

So for $1300 or so, you can get an edge sander that oscilates 3/4" and
has a, probably poor but enough for what I do, spindle sander on one
end. But it has 2 hp and weighs in at 462lbs. Or...

I could go with the original plan and get two separate machines. The
1071 has a 1.5" stroke and a 1hp motor. The G0512 doesn't oscilate
at all costs $650. The 1071 is about $650 also.

So would you opt for an inferior spindle sander to get an edge sander
that oscilates, more hp, and a cast iron table? Shop space isn't
really a problem for me, but why waste the space? I'd hate to opt for
the G0563, then hate the spindle sander, then end up with the G1071
anyway.

So what would you do?

brian

Larry Jaques

On 1 Apr 2005 14:38:35 -0800, the inscrutable "brianlanning"
spake:

[...]

Step back 5 yards and punt.

Move over to the table saw, cut some 1/16" strips of 8/4 material, and
crosscut it into foot-long pieces. Then I'd glue some little knobs
onto one side and a piece of sandpaper on the other. Those would help
me sand a lot of edges for a lot less than a spindle sander. Along
with a few rasps, round and half-round files, etc. you can cover a lot
of angles. If it's good enough for David Marks...

The Titanic. The Hindenburg. + http://www.diversify.com
The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design
jo4hn

brianlanning wrote:

[...]

Wow. Some really neat machinery there. I have no experience with any
of those machines but some experience with Grizz products (positive).
And since I don't see much in the way of rabid users of these sanders
chiming in, you may be on your own. I see that space is not a problem
and apparently since you are considering a major purchase, money is not
a biggie either. I have one of the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt
sanders and I like it a lot. What do I do when it craps out? Craftsman
had a belt/spindle/orbital sander that got some good reviews. Delta,
Jet, etc... also have entries. After consulting my wallet, I would
probably go in that direction. However, if you buy one of these Griz
jobs and love it, well... I can always give up milk or something.

In short, Griz makes some good stuff. If you don't have to give up milk
or beer to get one, go for it. Let us know how it works out. Consider
it a public gift.

mahalo,
jo4hn
Unisaw A-100

brianlanning wrote:
So what would you do?

Or what *did* I do?

I ended up with a Boice-Crane spindle sander that oscillates
and an Acme 2C edge sander that doesn't. I've found no
reason to not like the Acme.

The Boice-Crane doesn't get used much but I wouldn't get rid
of it for the world. The Acme comes in second for "the most
used machine" in my shop.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.

UA100
brianlanning

I see that space is not a problem

Basically, It's just a three car garage. We're moving into a new (to
us) house. I have to insulate and build some cabinets before it's
livable. I'm starting from scratch. I still have to add a subpanel
and all that.

and apparently since you are considering a major purchase, money is

not
a biggie either.

The stars have sort of aligned at the moment so I have some money to
get the machines I'm missing. I also need a jointer which is going to
be a painful decision. Over the next six months, I'll be getting half
a dozen machines. But it's a fixed budget, so I'm not sure where to
put the money.

I have one of the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt
sanders and I like it a lot.

I've heard good things about that machine. The big grizzly stuff
really is overkill for me. It's like a honda vs a mercedes. I've also
been wondering if a delta boss would easily be enough. I may just go
that way instead. But I know I'll always wish I had gotten the big
one.

What do I do when it craps out? Craftsman
had a belt/spindle/orbital sander that got some good reviews. Delta,
Jet, etc... also have entries.

The delta and jet big oss machines don't look any better than the
grizzly, but cost more. There's that smaller jet oss though. People
seems to like that machine also.

After consulting my wallet, I would
probably go in that direction. However, if you buy one of these Griz
jobs and love it, well... I can always give up milk or something.
In short, Griz makes some good stuff. If you don't have to give up

milk
or beer to get one, go for it. Let us know how it works out.

Consider
it a public gift.

I'll review whatever I get.

brian

brianlanning

I ended up with a Boice-Crane spindle sander that oscillates
and an Acme 2C edge sander that doesn't. I've found no
reason to not like the Acme.
The Boice-Crane doesn't get used much but I wouldn't get rid
of it for the world. The Acme comes in second for "the most
used machine" in my shop.

I see myself using the edge sander a lot more also.

So have you had problems with uneven wear on the edge sander? or
burning?

brian