Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default wood worm

Wife bought a cabinet made somewhere far away and brought home in
July. The other day a small of pile of dust appeared on the top.
Cleaned it off without thinking much about it. The next day there was
more and on close inspection saw a small hole.
So how do we get rid of the worms?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 12/10/2015 06:23 PM, swalker wrote:
Wife bought a cabinet made somewhere far away and brought home in
July. The other day a small of pile of dust appeared on the top.
Cleaned it off without thinking much about it. The next day there was
more and on close inspection saw a small hole.
So how do we get rid of the worms?

If it was a bowl, I'd say microwave it for a minute or so; long enough
to cook the worm, not long enough to burn the wood.

If you can fit it in a sealed plastic container, maybe fume it w/ammonia
or something?

The worms are likely beetle larvae of some flavor I'd expect. In a
month or so the problem will probably take care of itself. Of course,
you might then have a different problem! :-)

If it came from a warm climate, and you're in a cold one, maybe put it
outside in a shed for a time and freeze the tootsies out of the little
critters...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

swalker wrote in news:18gk6b153gi6851rmgmibbjr48gegj6v3r@
4ax.com:

Wife bought a cabinet made somewhere far away and brought home in
July. The other day a small of pile of dust appeared on the top.
Cleaned it off without thinking much about it. The next day there was
more and on close inspection saw a small hole.
So how do we get rid of the worms?

They are called "Powder Post Beetles". Had the same problem in some custom
cabinets I had made, researched the little boogers at my local A&M
university entomology department. The lumber used to build your cabinet,
like the lumber used to build my cabinets, was NOT kiln dried. The kiln
drying process kills the larve in the wood, according to the entomologist I
talked to. The solution by the ento. was to strip the finish off the
cabinets, and apply a liquid pestacide to the wood; or put the cabinets
into 'something' where the temp. can be raised to 180 degs. for 24 hrs.

Needless to say, both solutions were unrealistic for me. My problem
occured a couple months after the cabinets were installed, after about a
month of finding about a dozen different piles of wood powder, the problem
ceased. That was 15 years ago.

Oh, one other thing, the Ento. at the university told me that the larve of
the PPB can stay dormant in the wood for up to 20 years before emerging.

JB
Junior Member

Better to hire pest exterminators in order to get purge of wood worms. Home domestic methods are not that much effective. Professionals are now using eco-friendly treatments so there's no need to evict the premises during pest treatment.