DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shed Question -Work in Progress - Shed 1 New Door 1 Old (S) 2014-10-19.jpg (1/1) (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/375178-shed-question-work-progress-shed-1-new-door-1-old-s-2014-10-19-jpg-1-1-a.html)

Casper October 22nd 14 12:40 AM

Shed Question -Work in Progress - Shed 1 New Door 1 Old (S) 2014-10-19.jpg (1/1)

1 Attachment(s)

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 22nd 14 03:20 AM

Shed Question -Work in Progress - Shed 1 New Door 1 Old (S) 2014-10-19.jpg (1/1)

Casper wrote:

That'll work but you might want to consider diagonal bracing (even if on the
inside), to hold that door true.

--

-Mike-

Casper October 22nd 14 07:00 PM

Shed Question -Work in Progress - Shed 1 New Door 1 Old (S) 2014-10-19.jpg (1/1)

That'll work but you might want to consider diagonal bracing (even if on the
inside), to hold that door true.
Mike Marlow

We ended up ripping out the 2x4 on the left that the original hinged
screwed into as it was turned on it's side and it would have been more
difficult (+cost) to brace rather than turn.

What we found was that the top of the shed had shifted and the 2x4
warped. We ended up replacing that 2x4 with a new straight one and
hung the door as level as we could w/o leaving a huge gap between the
door and the frame. Gap at top wasn't bad but grew wider lower down so
we adjusted by replaceing the twisted board and leaving it a tad off
at the top. We will cover the gap by other means, ergo suggestions.

Leon[_7_] October 23rd 14 07:44 PM

On 10/21/2014 8:20 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Casper wrote:

That'll work but you might want to consider diagonal bracing (even if on the
inside), to hold that door true.

The door panel looks like a solid panel, bracing will not help. The old
door bracing is simply for looks and not function.

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 23rd 14 10:07 PM

Casper wrote:

That'll work but you might want to consider diagonal bracing (even
if on the inside), to hold that door true.

The door panel looks like a solid panel, bracing will not help. The
old door bracing is simply for looks and not function.

Giving that some thought, it makes sense.

--

-Mike-

G. Ross October 23rd 14 11:42 PM

Casper wrote:

That'll work but you might want to consider diagonal bracing (even if on the
inside), to hold that door true.

The door panel looks like a solid panel, bracing will not help. The old
door bracing is simply for looks and not function.

A full length diagonal or two might help prevent twisting.

--
 GW Ross

 If the universe is expanding, why
 can't I find a parking space?

Leon[_7_] October 24th 14 02:29 AM

Casper wrote:

That'll work but you might want to consider diagonal bracing (even
if on the
inside), to hold that door true.

The door panel looks like a solid panel, bracing will not help. The old
door bracing is simply for looks and not function.

A full length diagonal or two might help prevent twisting.

If attached on their edge, flat not likely.

Chris December 27th 14 02:55 PM

Shed Question -Work in Progress - Shed 1 New Door 1 Old (S) 2014-10-19.jpg (1/1)

Where were you able to find the hinges? I have been looking for something
like that for a while now.

Casper December 28th 14 05:32 PM

Shed Question -Work in Progress - Shed 1 New Door 1 Old (S) 2014-10-19.jpg (1/1)

Where were you able to find the hinges? I have been looking for something
like that for a while now.
Chris

I got hinges at Home Depot that work great. Much heavier than the
originals. Both doors are super solid, close and lock tight. In spring
any adjustments will be made and final repairs and painting.

FlSteve March 21st 15 06:54 PM

Is this the same shed that is shown finished in another thread?
FlSteve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper (Post 3329805)