DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Planters Formed out of wood with texture (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/369406-planters-formed-out-wood-texture.html)

jloomis[_2_] April 3rd 14 02:55 AM

Planters Formed out of wood with texture

Leon[_7_] April 3rd 14 04:57 AM

Planters Formed out of wood with texture

On 4/2/2014 8:55 PM, jloomis wrote:

Very Cool!

I think that would also make a cool water garden.

jloomis[_2_] April 3rd 14 02:16 PM

Planters Formed out of wood with texture

I would love to do a water/pond garden.
I think if a person were to make the concrete in some organic shape, and
create a current at one end, it would be like a river....
john

Swingman April 3rd 14 03:27 PM

On 4/3/2014 8:16 AM, jloomis wrote:
I would love to do a water/pond garden.
I think if a person were to make the concrete in some organic shape, and
create a current at one end, it would be like a river....

Back in the early 70's used to be a Chinese restaurant in Houston that
indeed had a "river" ("banks" elevated about 2' above grade) meandering
through the entire floor plan, complete with fish, waterfall and current.

You had to cross a small bridge to get from one side to the other.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

jloomis[_2_] April 4th 14 01:26 AM

Planters Formed out of wood with texture

That would be pretty neat.
I was in a restaurant in Sausalito and the roof moved out of the way, and
you could see the stars....
It was quite a large restaurant, and I was not aware of it......
pretty neat....it got cool quick, and then it slid closed....but all the
warm air left and a nice coolness was
atmospheric...

Lew Hodgett[_6_] April 4th 14 03:30 AM

"jloomis" wrote:

That would be pretty neat.
I was in a restaurant in Sausalito and the roof moved out of the
way, and you could see the stars....
It was quite a large restaurant, and I was not aware of it......
pretty neat....it got cool quick, and then it slid closed....but all
the warm air left and a nice coolness was
atmospheric...

At least 50 years ago (mid '60's) there was a restaurant called
"The Kapok Tree" in the Tampa/St Pete area.

The bldg was built around the tree and was a tropical theme.

The customers were protected inside the bldg and the animals
were outside but still inside a fenced in area.

Understand it went bankrupt 15-20 years ago but it is still around
awaiting someone to bring it back.

Hope somebody does, it was a neat place.

Just found this.

http://tinyurl.com/m76p8wo

Lew

Dave In Texas April 5th 14 01:53 PM

Planters Formed out of wood with texture

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

"jloomis" wrote:

That would be pretty neat.
I was in a restaurant in Sausalito and the roof moved out of the way, and
you could see the stars....
It was quite a large restaurant, and I was not aware of it......
pretty neat....it got cool quick, and then it slid closed....but all the
warm air left and a nice coolness was
atmospheric...

At least 50 years ago (mid '60's) there was a restaurant called
"The Kapok Tree" in the Tampa/St Pete area.

The bldg was built around the tree and was a tropical theme.

The customers were protected inside the bldg and the animals
were outside but still inside a fenced in area.

Understand it went bankrupt 15-20 years ago but it is still around
awaiting someone to bring it back.

Hope somebody does, it was a neat place.

Just found this.

http://tinyurl.com/m76p8wo

In the mid/late-sixties Houston had "Los Troncos." I remember taking
the then-love-of-my-life the
http://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhisto...os-restaurant/.

Dave in SoTex

Casper May 29th 14 04:50 PM

Planters Formed out of wood with texture

I found these planters a really neat idea. I was wondering how they
have come out finished and planted. Any progress? Any new photos?

jloomis[_2_] May 29th 14 05:22 PM

Planters Formed out of wood with texture

Hello,
I do not have a finish picture....darn it.
I had this one just prior to paver stone/deck install.
It came out real nice.
John

Casper May 30th 14 05:12 PM

Planters Formed out of wood with texture

John,

Thanks for the reply and additional photo. Real nice work.

My husband and I have been trying to figure out an option for our yard
that will not only look nice but protect our house and provide
planting area. I really like how you did this, especially the texture.
We are giving this idea serious consideration.

Bummer you didn't get a complete finished photo, but I appreciate what
you did get the time to take.

`Casper

Hello,
I do not have a finish picture....darn it.
I had this one just prior to paver stone/deck install.
It came out real nice.
John

.. .