DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   The Quarter Test (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/355744-quarter-test.html)

Leon[_7_] April 27th 13 07:03 PM

The Quarter Test

See Attached

MaxD April 27th 13 08:02 PM

The Quarter Test

On 4/27/2013 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
See Attached

Amazing, Leon. Just plain amazing.
I like it. ;-)

Leon[_5_] April 27th 13 08:35 PM

The Quarter Test

MaxD wrote:
On 4/27/2013 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
See Attached

Amazing, Leon. Just plain amazing.
I like it. ;-)

I was pretty impressed too. The first few times that I started it I had
the SawStop blade mounted in case I had done something wrong, it was in the
movie. That blade whined quite a bit. The carbide teeth are about 1/3~1/2
of the size of the ones on my Forrest blades. I did not do a side by side
comparison but that is what I felt the difference in size was. Anyway I
mounted the Forrest blade and zeroed the rip fence to the rule on the front
tube. The Forrest was much quieter.

woodchucker[_3_] April 27th 13 09:07 PM

The Quarter Test

On 4/27/2013 3:35 PM, Leon wrote:
MaxD wrote:
On 4/27/2013 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
See Attached

Amazing, Leon. Just plain amazing.
I like it. ;-)

I was pretty impressed too. The first few times that I started it I had
the SawStop blade mounted in case I had done something wrong, it was in the
movie. That blade whined quite a bit. The carbide teeth are about 1/3~1/2
of the size of the ones on my Forrest blades. I did not do a side by side
comparison but that is what I felt the difference in size was. Anyway I
mounted the Forrest blade and zeroed the rip fence to the rule on the front
tube. The Forrest was much quieter.

Damn, where's the sound... I wanted to here it too...

--
Jeff

G. Ross April 27th 13 10:25 PM

The Quarter Test

woodchucker wrote:
On 4/27/2013 3:35 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote:
On 4/27/2013 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
See Attached

Amazing, Leon. Just plain amazing.
I like it. ;-)

I was pretty impressed too. The first few times that I started it I had
the SawStop blade mounted in case I had done something wrong, it was in the
movie. That blade whined quite a bit. The carbide teeth are about 1/3~1/2
of the size of the ones on my Forrest blades. I did not do a side by side
comparison but that is what I felt the difference in size was. Anyway I
mounted the Forrest blade and zeroed the rip fence to the rule on the front
tube. The Forrest was much quieter.

Damn, where's the sound... I wanted to here it too...

It's there. You may need a different player.

--
 GW Ross

 In nature, there are no rewards or
 punishments, only consequences.

woodchucker[_3_] April 27th 13 10:29 PM

The Quarter Test

On 4/27/2013 5:25 PM, G. Ross wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 4/27/2013 3:35 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote:
On 4/27/2013 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
See Attached

Amazing, Leon. Just plain amazing.
I like it. ;-)

I was pretty impressed too. The first few times that I started it I
had
the SawStop blade mounted in case I had done something wrong, it was
in the
movie. That blade whined quite a bit. The carbide teeth are about
1/3~1/2
of the size of the ones on my Forrest blades. I did not do a side
by side
comparison but that is what I felt the difference in size was. Anyway I
mounted the Forrest blade and zeroed the rip fence to the rule on
the front
tube. The Forrest was much quieter.

Damn, where's the sound... I wanted to here it too...

It's there. You may need a different player.

Thanks, downloaded and opened, and it was there.
Man that was loud.. was not expecting that with all the iron and
cabinetry. Was expecting quieter.

--
Jeff

Leon[_7_] April 27th 13 11:32 PM

The Quarter Test

woodchucker wrote:
On 4/27/2013 3:35 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Me too, It was considerably quieter with the Forrest Blade installed.

Leon[_7_] April 27th 13 11:39 PM

The Quarter Test

On 4/27/2013 1:03 PM, Leon wrote:
See Attached

Success! try here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

jloomis[_2_] April 28th 13 01:28 AM

The Quarter Test

Now that is new to me.
I would not want to try it with my little portable De Walt, although it is a
good saw for travelling to jobs.....
john

"Leon" wrote in message

See Attached

Lew Hodgett[_6_] April 28th 13 02:52 AM

The Quarter Test

Leon wrote:

Success! try here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

-------------------------------------
Damn that is slow

Think I'll stick to the ABPW format.

BTW thanks for taking the trouble to post both ways.

Lew

[email protected] April 28th 13 04:44 PM

The Quarter Test

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:03:23 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

You pushed the quarter over just to confirm that it wasn't glued in a
vertical position?

And, speaking of that quarter, what happened to the nickel test? Now
that you've got your big fancy new saw, you're automatically promoted
into a higher level of prosperity? :)

Zz Yzx April 28th 13 05:23 PM

The Quarter Test

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:03:23 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

See Attached

Huh? You're supposed to stand the coin on edge? My ~1983 vintage
Craftsman passes but I had the nickel laying down flat.

John Grossbohlin[_4_] April 28th 13 05:28 PM

The Quarter Test

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

Huh? You're supposed to stand the coin on edge? My ~1983 vintage
Craftsman passes but I had the nickel laying down flat.

How long did it take for the nickel to dance off the table?

Ed Pawlowski April 29th 13 01:48 AM

The Quarter Test

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:44:08 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:03:23 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

You pushed the quarter over just to confirm that it wasn't glued in a
vertical position?

Yes, and looks like he did it himself. It would have been far better
had he had that chore done by a young bikini clad babe.

CW[_8_] May 3rd 13 02:41 AM

The Quarter Test

"Leon" wrote in message

See Attached
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest saw I ever
used.

[email protected] May 3rd 13 07:15 AM

The Quarter Test

On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:41:54 -0700, "CW" wrote:
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest saw I ever
used.

1/8 horsepower and 6 rpm? :)

Leon[_5_] May 3rd 13 01:08 PM

The Quarter Test

wrote:
On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:41:54 -0700, "CW" wrote:
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest saw I ever
used.

1/8 horsepower and 6 rpm? :)

Before he turned it on. :-)

CW[_8_] May 5th 13 08:40 AM

The Quarter Test

"Leon" wrote in message

On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:41:54 -0700, "CW" wrote:
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest saw I
ever
used.

1/8 horsepower and 6 rpm? :)

Before he turned it on. :-)
Full speed, full size saw. Direct drive INDUCTION motor.

Leon[_5_] May 5th 13 02:18 PM

The Quarter Test

"CW" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:41:54 -0700, "CW" wrote:
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest saw I ever
used.

1/8 horsepower and 6 rpm? :)

Before he turned it on. :-)
Full speed, full size saw. Direct drive INDUCTION motor.

I remember, you mentioned that saw several years ago.

Ray[_7_] May 5th 13 04:02 PM

The Quarter Test

On Sun, 5 May 2013 00:40:00 -0700, "CW" wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:41:54 -0700, "CW" wrote:
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest saw I
ever
used.

1/8 horsepower and 6 rpm? :)

Before he turned it on. :-)
================================================= ==================
Full speed, full size saw. Direct drive INDUCTION motor.

I have a newer Ridgid. I tried penny, nickle, dime, and quarter. They
all stayed up. The quarter wobbled a little due to the breeze the saw
blade created. Is this a hard test to pass?

Leon[_7_] May 5th 13 04:05 PM

The Quarter Test

"Leon" wrote in message

On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:41:54 -0700, "CW" wrote:
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest saw I
ever
used.

1/8 horsepower and 6 rpm? :)

Before he turned it on. :-)
Full speed, full size saw. Direct drive INDUCTION motor.

I have a newer Ridgid. I tried penny, nickle, dime, and quarter. They
all stayed up. The quarter wobbled a little due to the breeze the saw
blade created. Is this a hard test to pass?

With no wobble, yes it is hard to pass. Give us a video!

CW[_8_] May 6th 13 12:39 AM

The Quarter Test

"Leon" wrote in message

"CW" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:41:54 -0700, "CW" wrote:
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest saw I
ever
used.

1/8 horsepower and 6 rpm? :)

Before he turned it on. :-)
Full speed, full size saw. Direct drive INDUCTION motor.

I remember, you mentioned that saw several years ago.
The smoothness was the only outstanding feature of that saw. Made a lot of
good stuff on it but it was a PIA. Got a Hitachi now. If I had the money, I
would like to have the one you have but I don't have the work to justify it.

MaxD June 1st 13 02:56 AM

The Quarter Test

"Leon" wrote in message

On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:41:54 -0700, "CW" wrote:
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest saw I
ever
used.

1/8 horsepower and 6 rpm? :)

Before he turned it on. :-)
Full speed, full size saw. Direct drive INDUCTION motor.

I have a newer Ridgid. I tried penny, nickle, dime, and quarter. They
all stayed up. The quarter wobbled a little due to the breeze the saw
blade created. Is this a hard test to pass?

With no wobble, yes it is hard to pass. Give us a video!

I laid a whole handful of change on my table saw; started it up and the
coins jiggled a little but stayed right there on the saw. ;-)

Mike Marlow[_2_] June 2nd 13 04:02 AM

The Quarter Test

MaxD wrote:

wrote:
My old craftsman would do that, right out of the box. Smoothest
saw I ever
used.

1/8 horsepower and 6 rpm? :)

Before he turned it on. :-)
Full speed, full size saw. Direct drive INDUCTION motor.

I have a newer Ridgid. I tried penny, nickle, dime, and quarter.
They all stayed up. The quarter wobbled a little due to the breeze
the saw blade created. Is this a hard test to pass?

With no wobble, yes it is hard to pass. Give us a video!

I laid a whole handful of change on my table saw; started it up and
the coins jiggled a little but stayed right there on the saw. ;-)

I've done this "test" on my old Craftsman table saw, years ago, and produced
the same results. I've never been impressed by the coin thing.

--

-Mike-