DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Finsihed-not much... (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/354923-finsihed-not-much.html)

jloomis[_2_] April 7th 13 02:15 AM

Finsihed-not much...

Small job, but it is work!
john

G. Ross April 7th 13 03:05 AM

Finsihed-not much...

jloomis wrote:
Small job, but it is work!
john

Nice touch on the bottom step. I really like the hand rails! Nice work.

--
 GW Ross

 Cover me -- I'm changing lanes.

Ed Pawlowski April 7th 13 04:11 AM

Finsihed-not much...

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 18:15:18 -0700, "jloomis"
wrote:

Small job, but it is work!
john

Work is work, as long as you are getting paid.

Couple of questions.

Are the handrails made like that for appearance or is their a
practical reason to have the wide board and narrower grip rail?

Is your customer going to sit on the bench, but never want to lean
back? I like the idea of having a bench, but it does not look like a
long term comfort seat and little space left for sitting chairs.

We all have different ideas of what makes the perfect deck, but I
think of it as outdoor living space. Table, chairs, grill, etc.

Dave[_52_] April 7th 13 11:39 AM

Finsihed-not much...

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 23:11:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Are the handrails made like that for appearance or is their a
practical reason to have the wide board and narrower grip rail?

I'd imagine that the wide boards were to match and fully cover the
4x4s, but then were too wide for many hands to grab, so then the
narrower grip rail becomes necessary/advisable.

Ed Pawlowski April 7th 13 01:01 PM

Finsihed-not much...

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 06:39:55 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 23:11:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Are the handrails made like that for appearance or is their a
practical reason to have the wide board and narrower grip rail?

I'd imagine that the wide boards were to match and fully cover the
4x4s, but then were too wide for many hands to grab, so then the
narrower grip rail becomes necessary/advisable.

Make sense. The wide board would be OK to steady yourself, but not a
real grip if you needed it.

jloomis[_2_] April 7th 13 02:58 PM

Finsihed-not much...

We have a code that requires a graspable attachment to stair railing.
So, I thought up this idea many years ago.
I use a 2x6 and draw on it a centerline. I then decide where start and stop
is, where to attach,
and draw the upper lines tangent to the circle.
I hole saw the circle, and then cut out the tangent lines. I route the
interior,
and then split it on a table saw.....I get 2 handrails for one.
Attach with screws....long screws....
Yes, a bench was wanted and also, when you build into a bench a back rest,
you block view.
So, many customers like just a bench.
I like that for decks also.
I think on a larger deck, a person would bring out deck chairs, lounges.
This deck was limited to size by owner.
john