DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lap Desk (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/354563-lap-desk.html)

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 27th 13 01:42 PM

Lap Desk

3 Attachment(s)
My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the bottom is
held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used throughout.
He makes these for his girlfriends...

Swingman March 27th 13 02:26 PM

Lap Desk

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the
bottom is held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used
throughout. He makes these for his girlfriends...

Absolutely beautiful ... give my kudos to the young man for his
excellent execution.

Shavings don't fall far from the Master's plane ... or something like
that. ;)

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 27th 13 03:07 PM

Lap Desk

"Swingman" wrote in message

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the
bottom is held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used
throughout. He makes these for his girlfriends...

Absolutely beautiful ... give my kudos to the young man for his excellent
execution.

Shavings don't fall far from the Master's plane ... or something like that.
;)

I will be sure to pass this along to Jesse... Thanks!

I figured out a long time ago that if I can explain and show my sons the
process that they can do the work. This in turn forced me to think very
clearly about the process and the lessons learned have ended up being the
topics of my lectures at Showcase... an adult audience. It would be fair to
say that my sons have made me a better woodworker...

John

jloomis[_2_] March 27th 13 03:44 PM

Lap Desk

Quite a nicely done project.
I am sure his many girlfriends will keep him in the shop?
john

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 27th 13 03:51 PM

Lap Desk

"jloomis" wrote in message ...

Quite a nicely done project.
I am sure his many girlfriends will keep him in the shop?

Well... the next lap desk he is making for himself... it is a bit more
complex. After that???? ;~)

G. Ross March 27th 13 04:12 PM

Lap Desk

John Grossbohlin wrote:
My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the bottom is
held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used throughout.
He makes these for his girlfriends...

Very nice work! A red ribbon and a blue ribbon--did they reconsider
or is it two shows?

--
 GW Ross

 Whenever they put on the straight
 jacket, my nose itches.

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 27th 13 04:31 PM

Lap Desk

"G. Ross" wrote in message

John Grossbohlin wrote:
My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the bottom
is
held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used throughout.
He makes these for his girlfriends...

Very nice work! A red ribbon and a blue ribbon--did they reconsider or is
it two shows?

Two different lap desks over two different years' shows... Blue was 1st
place in 2011 and Red was 2nd Place in 2012... The grain can be seen to be
different across the two desks.

John

Ed Pawlowski March 28th 13 12:03 AM

Lap Desk

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:42:42 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the bottom is
held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used throughout.
He makes these for his girlfriends...

Very nice. The kid has talent and it will pay dividends the rest of
his life. Good for him!

Leon[_7_] March 28th 13 12:12 AM

Lap Desk

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the
bottom is held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used
throughout. He makes these for his girlfriends...

Very nice John!

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 28th 13 01:49 AM

Lap Desk

wrote:

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the bottom
is
held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used throughout.
He makes these for his girlfriends...

Very nice. The kid has talent and it will pay dividends the rest of
his life. Good for him!

That is my hope... he and his brother both tell me that their friends don't
know how to do anything except push buttons...

I'll pass on your praise!

John

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 28th 13 01:51 AM

Lap Desk

"Leon" wrote in message

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the
bottom is held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used
throughout. He makes these for his girlfriends...

Very nice John!

I'll pass on your praise to Jesse!

geoff March 28th 13 02:24 AM

Lap Desk

Very nicely done, you both should be proud.

woodchucker[_3_] March 28th 13 02:48 AM

Lap Desk

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the
bottom is held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used
throughout. He makes these for his girlfriends...

nice work, that's better than most adults.

Let's hope he doesn't get bored with it because he achieved such a high
rating at such an early age...

If he sticks with it, after doing the car and girlfriend break that most
teenagers do, he's got an excellent start.

--
Jeff

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 28th 13 03:01 AM

Lap Desk

"woodchucker" wrote in message

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the
bottom is held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used
throughout. He makes these for his girlfriends...

nice work, that's better than most adults.

Let's hope he doesn't get bored with it because he achieved such a high
rating at such an early age...

If he sticks with it, after doing the car and girlfriend break that most
teenagers do, he's got an excellent start.

There is some risk for sure... he keeps talking about a career as an artist
though so maybe he will not get bored with it... Time will tell.

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 28th 13 03:03 AM

Lap Desk

"geoff" wrote in message
eb.com...

Very nicely done, you both should be proud.

I am proud of him for sure..

Lew Hodgett[_6_] March 28th 13 03:58 AM

Lap Desk

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

There is some risk for sure... he keeps talking about a career as an
artist though so maybe he will not get bored with it... Time will
tell.

Not to worry, artists and woodworkers have a lot in common,
especially the creative juices.

The young man does nice work.

Lew

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 28th 13 04:40 AM

Lap Desk

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

There is some risk for sure... he keeps talking about a career as an
artist though so maybe he will not get bored with it... Time will tell.

Not to worry, artists and woodworkers have a lot in common,
especially the creative juices.

That is for sure... Some of the woodworkers/turners I associate with
regularly are both artists and woodworkers... and I know they have had
influences on my sons. Here are some of them whom have web sites:

http://www.gilesgilson.com/index.html
http://www.chinleeminiature.com/
http://www.woodchuckwoodturning.com/index.html
http://www.keithptompkins.com/
http://shermanwoodturning.com/
http://www.garretthack.com/
http://www.dougstowe.com/

They've met Roy and Norm too... I recall when Josh first saw Norm in person,
at age 5, he said "He's a real guy?!" Yup... he didn't live in the TV!

The beauty of this is that they have had a lot of inspiration and have seen
that things can be done... I'm hoping they keep it up!

Han March 28th 13 02:33 PM

Lap Desk

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the
bottom is held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be
used throughout. He makes these for his girlfriends...

Great work! Kudos to son (primarily) and Dad!

--
Best regards
Han

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 28th 13 02:37 PM

Lap Desk

"Han" wrote in message ...

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the
bottom is held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be
used throughout. He makes these for his girlfriends...

Great work! Kudos to son (primarily) and Dad!

I teach... he does! I'll pass your praise along to Jesse!

Thanks

Dale Miller[_5_] March 29th 13 10:18 PM

Lap Desk

My son Jesse's lap desks. Made entirely from cherry. Note that the
bottom is held by "drawer slips." This so that thin stock could be used
throughout. He makes these for his girlfriends...

Very nice....kudos to Jesse.

--
All the Best
Dale Miller

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003
Registered Ubuntu User #26423

(cut the spam to reply)

VOTE TO REBUILD!
www.twintowersalliance.com
__

Apolonia April 2nd 13 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Grossbohlin[_4_] (Post 3037558)
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Very nice. The kid has talent and it will pay dividends the rest of
his life. Good for him![/i][/color]

John

Yeah they did a great effort to make it. The work is really appreciable.
aged care queensland

ehernandez April 22nd 13 06:07 PM

Good job! You (dad) deserve my praise as well, if it had not been for you, he wouldn't have been interested :)