DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wood Making (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/353740-wood-making.html)

jloomis[_2_] March 5th 13 02:23 AM

Wood Making

Here is the scene of the crime.
I have yet another pile to do.
Would rather be building, but need to clean up last years downed trees.
john

Mike Marlow[_2_] March 5th 13 01:55 PM

Wood Making

jloomis wrote:

Here is the scene of the crime.
I have yet another pile to do.
Would rather be building, but need to clean up last years downed
trees. john

Pine? You guys split that up for firewood? How long do you season it
before burning? We don't burn pine around here owing to the creosote
issues.

--

-Mike-

Swingman March 5th 13 03:01 PM

Wood Making

On 3/5/2013 6:55 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
jloomis wrote:

Here is the scene of the crime.
I have yet another pile to do.
Would rather be building, but need to clean up last years downed
trees. john

Pine? You guys split that up for firewood? How long do you season it
before burning? We don't burn pine around here owing to the creosote
issues.

It doesn't look like pine on my monitor ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

jloomis[_2_] March 5th 13 03:02 PM

Wood Making

We live in a transitional forest of Oak, Fir, Madrone, Redwood, etc.
I try to burn oak when I can, and this is just what is there.
Fir and some oak.
john

Mike Marlow[_2_] March 5th 13 03:57 PM

Wood Making

jloomis wrote:

We live in a transitional forest of Oak, Fir, Madrone, Redwood, etc.
I try to burn oak when I can, and this is just what is there.
Fir and some oak.
john

Sorry - I use the term "Pine" in a generic sense, since I really don't know
enough about the various types of conifers to properly call them out by
name. We don't have much oak around here, so I'd have to look hard to
recognize a chunk of it if it were laying in front of me. So - you do burn
the fir? How do you deal with the creosote issues?

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] March 5th 13 04:00 PM

Wood Making

jloomis wrote:

Here is the scene of the crime.
I have yet another pile to do.
Would rather be building, but need to clean up last years downed
trees. john

Pine? You guys split that up for firewood? How long do you season
it before burning? We don't burn pine around here owing to the
creosote issues.

It doesn't look like pine on my monitor ...

I'm not well versed in the various confiers, so I tend to simply use the
misnomer "Pine" to generalize. The chunks looked a lot like what a red pine
or a white pine around here would split up like, and the trunks that are
showing look an awful lot like red pines around here, so that's the basis of
my statement. What did you see in them?

--

-Mike-

Swingman March 5th 13 04:29 PM

Wood Making

jloomis wrote:

Here is the scene of the crime.
I have yet another pile to do.
Would rather be building, but need to clean up last years downed
trees. john

Pine? You guys split that up for firewood? How long do you season
it before burning? We don't burn pine around here owing to the
creosote issues.

It doesn't look like pine on my monitor ...

I'm not well versed in the various confiers, so I tend to simply use the
misnomer "Pine" to generalize. The chunks looked a lot like what a red pine
or a white pine around here would split up like, and the trunks that are
showing look an awful lot like red pines around here, so that's the basis of
my statement. What did you see in them?

Thought they were a softwood, and would have had to _guess_ "Fir", if
forced with a gun to my head (mainly based on the leaves on the ground;
those close growth rings, which would be vertical end grain in a
rift/quarter cut log; and the fact the "F" in the standard terminology
for softwood construction lumber (SPF) is "Fir") ... but was not near
certain enough about that to make a statement ... and, the bark did not
look any pine bark I've ever seen.

But, I would still not bet the farm that what I was looking at on my
monitor was indeed Fir.

G.W.Ross March 5th 13 04:34 PM

Wood Making

On 3/5/2013 7:55 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
jloomis wrote:

Here is the scene of the crime.
I have yet another pile to do.
Would rather be building, but need to clean up last years downed
trees. john

Pine? You guys split that up for firewood? How long do you season it
before burning? We don't burn pine around here owing to the creosote
issues.

Growing up in South Georgia, we burned a lot of pine. Mom especially
liked it for the cookstove as it started up fast and when the cooking
was done it burned up and cooled off fast. My job was to hold a "coke"
bottle filled with kerosene with a bunch of pine needles packed in the
opening. My dad and brother would take out the crosscut saw when it
started binding a little and I sprinkled kerosene on each side to
lubricate it.

Creosote? We called it soot that built up in the chimney. About once a
year if you had a hot fire in the fireplace it would burn out up the
chimney sounding like a tornado. With a tin roof there was little
danger unless the chimney had cracks or loose bricks in it. We would
always go out and check that nothing was ignited outside the house. Our
three fireplace chimneys were double walled with solid brick with sand
in between. We had a lot of sand. The chimneys were set 3 or 4 inches
away from the wall except at the bottom. In the winter birds would
roost between the chimney and the house to stay warm.

--
 GW Ross

 Be not forgetful to entertain
 strangers: for thereby some have
 entertained angels unawares.

jloomis[_2_] March 5th 13 06:02 PM

Wood Making

Try to make sure to burn dry wood.
Have a hot fire to keep the chimney clean.
Don't burn garbage......
Scrub the chimney with a metal flue brush.
I would much rather burn oak.
Also, I may be able to use this in firing a "Wood fired Kiln"
We do that around here, and I am tempted to use it for cone 10 firing.
Why not!
I do have pine to which I really do not like to use.
Bull Pine.
Or Coastal Pine.
It is very soft wood, burns hot, and quick. Not much like oak....

Kevin Miller[_2_] March 5th 13 06:37 PM

Wood Making

On 03/05/2013 08:02 AM, jloomis wrote:
I do have pine to which I really do not like to use.
Bull Pine.
Or Coastal Pine.
It is very soft wood, burns hot, and quick. Not much like oak....

Bet it makes great kindling!

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

basilisk March 6th 13 01:41 AM

Wood Making

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 09:02:06 -0800, jloomis wrote:

Try to make sure to burn dry wood.
Have a hot fire to keep the chimney clean.
Don't burn garbage......
Scrub the chimney with a metal flue brush.
I would much rather burn oak.

Also, I may be able to use this in firing a "Wood fired Kiln"
We do that around here, and I am tempted to use it for cone 10 firing.
Why not!

Interesting,

I have considered building a Bourry Box kiln, and I have
a large source of used fire brick that I could use.

unfortunately there isn't enough moneyed appreciators of
potter/ceramics in this area to pull me into it at this late date,
especially considering I insist on learning everything the hard way.

basilisk

jloomis[_2_] March 6th 13 02:04 AM

Wood Making

Wow,
I would love to find some fire brick.
There is a few folks locally that do have some beautiful wood fired kilns.
I will look up the Bourry Box kiln to see what it is like.
I would like to build a climbing hill kiln since the area is suited for
that.
then again, I though if a guy could build a kiln on wheels, and move it to
the source.

Too many ideas......not a lot of time it seems.
I am taking a "large" pot throwing class in Santa Cruz this June.
George Dymesich is the teacher and has gone to Japan for instruction.
He is fairly popular, and online.
Now I know this is not wood, but turning on the wheel and turning on a lathe
do have similarities.....
Hey, nice talking.
where are you located?
I am in Fort Bragg, Calif.
john

Leon[_7_] March 6th 13 05:19 AM

Wood Making

jloomis wrote:

Here is the scene of the crime.
I have yet another pile to do.
Would rather be building, but need to clean up last years downed
trees. john

Pine? You guys split that up for firewood? How long do you season it
before burning? We don't burn pine around here owing to the creosote
issues.

It doesn't look like pine on my monitor ...

If you check the second picture post IMHO it looks like slow growth SYP.

Leon[_7_] March 6th 13 05:21 AM

Wood Making

jloomis wrote:

Here is the scene of the crime.
I have yet another pile to do.
Would rather be building, but need to clean up last years downed
trees. john

Pine? You guys split that up for firewood? How long do you season it
before burning? We don't burn pine around here owing to the creosote
issues.

It doesn't look like pine on my monitor ...

If you check the second picture post IMHO it looks like slow growth SYP.

BUT apparently it is not. ;~)

Dale Miller[_4_] March 6th 13 08:26 PM

Wood Making

On 03/05/2013 11:02 AM, jloomis wrote:
Try to make sure to burn dry wood.
Have a hot fire to keep the chimney clean.
Don't burn garbage......

This is excellent advice!

Scrub the chimney with a metal flue brush.

Do NOT use a metal brush on stainless steel liners or manufactured chimneys.

I would much rather burn oak.
Also, I may be able to use this in firing a "Wood fired Kiln"
We do that around here, and I am tempted to use it for cone 10 firing.
Why not!
I do have pine to which I really do not like to use.
Bull Pine.
Or Coastal Pine.
It is very soft wood, burns hot, and quick. Not much like oak....
john

Thus the reason hard woods are recommended for burning.
Soft woods are ok for heating when your just trying to take the chill
off. Most pines are not recommended because of the sap in the wood which
burns too hot and usually the smoke adheres to the inside of the
chimney. Remember creosote builds up because of wet smoke and the
chimney not being hot enough to repel the build up.
Thus the reason dry seasoned wood is preferred as well as good hot fires
to reduce creosote build up in the chimney system.

--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003
Registered Ubuntu User #26423

(cut the spam to reply)

VOTE TO REBUILD!
www.twintowersalliance.com
__

Dale Miller[_4_] March 6th 13 08:29 PM

Wood Making

On 03/05/2013 07:04 PM, jloomis wrote:
Wow,
I would love to find some fire brick.

If you have a Tractor Supply in your area they usually carry fire brick
used to replace fire brick in stoves.

basilisk March 7th 13 03:12 AM

Wood Making

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:04:47 -0800, jloomis wrote:

[...]

Central Alabama

I haven't done anything serious, just fooled around a little
on a couple of different wheels. It's fun and I do think I
would pick it up at a reasonable pace. I have lots of other work/hobbies
that are getting ignored, not much point in persueing another.
hmmm, maybe after I retire.

Lots of good clays available for the digging here as well, in fact
just behind my house is a good deposit of terra cotta type clay,
there are also what would be higher cone ceramic clays nearby.

I also have a place that would be good for an anagama but firing them
seems like a daunting task, from what i have read, some of the larger
take three days firing(and a mountain of wood) to to get the top end
fired. I suppose that it could be done on a smaller scale as long
as the tunnel was big enough to crawl through.

basilisk