DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shaker style organizer (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/352129-shaker-style-organizer.html)

John Grossbohlin[_4_] January 22nd 13 04:28 PM

Shaker style organizer

1 Attachment(s)
My honorable mention... subordinate to my sons' second place. ;~)

woodchucker[_3_] January 22nd 13 11:47 PM

Shaker style organizer

My honorable mention... subordinate to my sons' second place. ;~)

That's nice.
you made that, or they made that?
I like the case work and the drawer grain

--
Jeff

John Grossbohlin[_4_] January 23rd 13 02:37 AM

Shaker style organizer

"woodchucker" wrote in message
.. .
My honorable mention... subordinate to my sons' second place. ;~)

That's nice.
you made that, or they made that?
I like the case work and the drawer grain

--
Jeff

I made it.... Thanks!

One of those things made to fill a need at home... it is in daily use as a
mail sorter.

John

Unquestionably Confused January 23rd 13 04:57 AM

Shaker style organizer

I made it.... Thanks!

One of those things made to fill a need at home... it is in daily use as
a mail sorter.

Shoot! Here I thought it was a genuine Shaker Smart Phone and Tablet
storage unit. g

Damn nice work regardless.

Did you dovetail the drawers as well?

John Grossbohlin[_4_] January 23rd 13 12:44 PM

Shaker style organizer

1 Attachment(s)

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message

I made it.... Thanks!

One of those things made to fill a need at home... it is in daily use as
a mail sorter.

Shoot! Here I thought it was a genuine Shaker Smart Phone and Tablet
storage unit. g

Damn nice work regardless.

Did you dovetail the drawers as well?

Yes... front and back... solid wood bottom.

I'm thinking about making a Roubo style bookstand for my mother for her
Nook... He'd probably approve and have had a Nook if they existed at the
time. Not so sure about the Shakers... ;~)

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3100/3101.html

jloomis[_2_] January 23rd 13 04:41 PM

Shaker style organizer

A fine piece of woodwork!
Always nice to experiment and come up with something.
Great......
john

John Grossbohlin[_4_] January 23rd 13 06:08 PM

Shaker style organizer

"jloomis" wrote in message ...

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

My honorable mention... subordinate to my sons' second place. ;~)

A fine piece of woodwork!
Always nice to experiment and come up with something.
Great......
john

Thanks... always fun to interpret!

Mike Marlow[_2_] January 23rd 13 09:33 PM

Shaker style organizer

John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'm thinking about making a Roubo style bookstand for my mother for
her Nook... He'd probably approve and have had a Nook if they existed
at the time. Not so sure about the Shakers... ;~)

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3100/3101.html

That's an ambitious undertaking John. Be sure to keep us supplied with
pictures as it goes. Maybe even a video or a few.

--

-Mike-

Swingman January 23rd 13 09:53 PM

Shaker style organizer

2 Attachment(s)

I'm thinking about making a Roubo style bookstand for my mother for her
Nook... He'd probably approve and have had a Nook if they existed at the
time. Not so sure about the Shakers... ;~)

As would, one would hope, Gustav Stickley. :)

One needs to make these things adhere to current technology. :)

When I made Linda my version of Stickley's #708 Writing Desk, I did
something similar to your Shaker Organizer to take the place of his
letter rack (so it would fit her laptop) that came with Gustav's
original design.

Your work is, as always, beautiful, BTW ... and I like your dovetails
much better than the splines I had to use to get this veritable puzzle
glued up in one go.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

John Grossbohlin[_4_] January 23rd 13 10:44 PM

Shaker style organizer

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...

I'm thinking about making a Roubo style bookstand for my mother for her
Nook... He'd probably approve and have had a Nook if they existed at the
time. Not so sure about the Shakers... ;~)

As would, one would hope, Gustav Stickley. :)

One needs to make these things adhere to current technology. :)

When I made Linda my version of Stickley's #708 Writing Desk, I did
something similar to your Shaker Organizer to take the place of his
letter rack (so it would fit her laptop) that came with Gustav's
original design.

Your work is, as always, beautiful, BTW ... and I like your dovetails
much better than the splines I had to use to get this veritable puzzle
glued up in one go.

Thank you... and yes, we do have to adapt to the current technology or this
stuff we make offers reduced, or even no, utility. Towards that end, laptops
seem to be easier to deal with than desktop/tower computers. My desk looks
like mission control right now. There are three towers, a laptop, a shaker
style "rack" with my laser printer, scanner and VCR to PC box, on it. There
is also a router, speakers, cable modem, desk lamp and phone. Behind me are
two more lap tops... No piece of fine furniture could cope with this
mess... as such I made some "furniture quality" saw horses, painted them
hunter green and put a 36" hollow core door on them for a desk. I needed the
real estate!

Your desk looks a lot better than mine! I don't see any real opportunities
for dovetails in your design so splines or dados would be options (maybe
biscuits or dominos). It looks right to me!

John

John Grossbohlin[_4_] January 23rd 13 10:46 PM

Shaker style organizer

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
.. .

John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'm thinking about making a Roubo style bookstand for my mother for
her Nook... He'd probably approve and have had a Nook if they existed
at the time. Not so sure about the Shakers... ;~)

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3100/3101.html

That's an ambitious undertaking John. Be sure to keep us supplied with
pictures as it goes. Maybe even a video or a few.

I'm thinking it will take a few practice pieces to get the technique down...
maybe not. I'll probably cheat and use the bandsaw. ;~)

Unquestionably Confused January 24th 13 05:44 AM

Shaker style organizer

On 1/23/2013 3:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

Your work is, as always, beautiful, BTW ... and I like your dovetails
much better than the splines I had to use to get this veritable puzzle
glued up in one go.

Jeez, look who's talking... Beautifully done desk, Karl. What did you
use for the finish?

Swingman January 24th 13 02:03 PM

Shaker style organizer

On 1/23/2013 3:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

Your work is, as always, beautiful, BTW ... and I like your dovetails
much better than the splines I had to use to get this veritable puzzle
glued up in one go.

Jeez, look who's talking... Beautifully done desk, Karl. What did you
use for the finish?

Thanks ... didn't intend to hijack John's thread.

Sprayed on amber shellac. Those photos were taken almost ten years ago
on an old feature phone. If I could get Linda to clean off her desk, I'd
update them ... girl stacks "stuff" on any horizontal surface she can find.

Unquestionably Confused January 24th 13 02:24 PM

Shaker style organizer

On 1/24/2013 8:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

Sprayed on amber shellac. Those photos were taken almost ten years ago
on an old feature phone. If I could get Linda to clean off her desk, I'd
update them ... girl stacks "stuff" on any horizontal surface she can find.

No need to traumatize her. The desktop, ell and credenza at my office
have not seen the light of day for better than five years. I'd hate to
be told to clear it off so that I could actually use it for something
other than "semi-temporary (NOT!)" storageg

Leon[_7_] January 24th 13 03:11 PM

Shaker style organizer

On 1/23/2013 3:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

I'm thinking about making a Roubo style bookstand for my mother for her
Nook... He'd probably approve and have had a Nook if they existed at the
time. Not so sure about the Shakers... ;~)

As would, one would hope, Gustav Stickley. :)

One needs to make these things adhere to current technology. :)

When I made Linda my version of Stickley's #708 Writing Desk, I did
something similar to your Shaker Organizer to take the place of his
letter rack (so it would fit her laptop) that came with Gustav's
original design.

Your work is, as always, beautiful, BTW ... and I like your dovetails
much better than the splines I had to use to get this veritable puzzle
glued up in one go.

I don't think I have seen that desk... ;~)

John Grossbohlin[_4_] January 24th 13 03:22 PM

Shaker style organizer

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...

On 1/23/2013 3:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

Your work is, as always, beautiful, BTW ... and I like your dovetails
much better than the splines I had to use to get this veritable puzzle
glued up in one go.

Jeez, look who's talking... Beautifully done desk, Karl. What did you
use for the finish?

Thanks ... didn't intend to hijack John's thread.

It's more of an expansion than a hijacking... a collaborative discussion on
how to adapt our projects to changing technology. ;~)

John

Swingman January 24th 13 03:40 PM

Shaker style organizer

On 1/24/2013 9:11 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/23/2013 3:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

When I made Linda my version of Stickley's #708 Writing Desk, I did
something similar to your Shaker Organizer to take the place of his
letter rack (so it would fit her laptop) that came with Gustav's
original design.

I don't think I have seen that desk... ;~)

LOL

Bring a shovel next time you're over and we'll dig it out. ;)

Leon[_5_] January 25th 13 02:35 AM

Shaker style organizer

Swingman wrote:
On 1/24/2013 9:11 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/23/2013 3:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

When I made Linda my version of Stickley's #708 Writing Desk, I did
something similar to your Shaker Organizer to take the place of his
letter rack (so it would fit her laptop) that came with Gustav's
original design.

I don't think I have seen that desk... ;~)

LOL

Bring a shovel next time you're over and we'll dig it out. ;)

Don't you keep a shovel in the bath room? :-)

Swingman January 25th 13 04:50 PM

Shaker style organizer

On 1/24/2013 8:35 PM, Leon wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 1/24/2013 9:11 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/23/2013 3:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

When I made Linda my version of Stickley's #708 Writing Desk, I did
something similar to your Shaker Organizer to take the place of his
letter rack (so it would fit her laptop) that came with Gustav's
original design.

I don't think I have seen that desk... ;~)

LOL

Bring a shovel next time you're over and we'll dig it out. ;)

Don't you keep a shovel in the bath room? :-)

Only for your convenience ... g,d&r

Abner May 30th 13 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Grossbohlin[_4_] (Post 3001393)
My honorable mention... subordinate to my sons' second place. ;~)

Well I like you organizer.. because its looking very simple and also very nice and also looking very useful thing. Can you please tell me how much this costs to you making this organizer? Because I am also interested in that. Please reply me, Thanks for sharing the photo of your work.