Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Scalloped segmented bowl II

Couple more shots...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

Attached Thumbnails
Scalloped segmented bowl II-2012-11-05_18-38-00-jpg  Scalloped segmented bowl II-2012-11-05_18-38-38-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/7/2012 8:36 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
Couple more shots...

...Kevin

Nice!
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

really enjoy seeing your work.
very ethnic and some native american art theme's
would like to see how the block was made in order to
create the designs.
john

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message ...

Couple more shots...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/7/2012 9:36 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
Couple more shots...

...Kevin

Very nice Kevin!
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very nice Kevin, I too would be very interested in knowing how you got the
scalloped effect.

Tom.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 18:36:36 -0900, Kevin Miller
wrote:

Couple more shots...

...Kevin

Nice like the scallop

Mike M
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/08/2012 04:49 AM, jloomis wrote:
really enjoy seeing your work.
very ethnic and some native american art theme's
would like to see how the block was made in order to
create the designs.

Sure - I took some photos along the way. I'll try to get some posted
that shows the process...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 09:39:23 -0900, Kevin Miller wrote:

On 11/08/2012 04:49 AM, jloomis wrote:
really enjoy seeing your work.
very ethnic and some native american art theme's would like to see how
the block was made in order to create the designs.

Sure - I took some photos along the way. I'll try to get some posted
that shows the process...

So here's a shot that should help visualize what's happening. The
feature ring (i.e., the one w/the scallops) is a 'sandwich' of light wood
between dark. In this case birch and walnut. To get uniform scallops
it's important that they're not offset - I checked that with a pencil.
You can see the mark.

Rather than a pencil line drawn where I did, envision a tool cut from the
outer joint of the light/dark wood intersection. It would just touch the
light wood, and cut away a bunch of the dark. If you cut just a bit
towards the center you expose more light wood near the joints.

If you went straight in, you would end up with light and dark vertical
bands, but because the bowl is cut at an angle the scallop forms. On the
outside you end up cutting off the walnut where the joints are, leaving
light wood at the joints and dark in the middle. On the inside it's the
opposite, hence dark scallops on the outside and light ones on the inside
of the bowl.

Hope that makes sense.

Also hope this posts gets distributed by the news server. Several
haven't. I'm trying out a new newsreader (Pan) too, so hopefully the
photo is actually attached.

S'later...

....Kevin

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
newsan$c18db$b9d05c56$44cbb961$aeeb5b05$1@alaska .net...
[...]

I don't see any photo. I want to mention that I really liked the dark
outlines of the spalting.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/08/2012 07:42 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I don't see any photo. I want to mention that I really liked the dark
outlines of the spalting.

Nope - didn't go through. Guess I'll have to read the Pan manual.
Sigh. I'm a guy. I hate that. ;-)

Let's see if this works from good ol' Thunderbird...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
"In the history of the world, no one has ever washed a rented car."
- Lawrence Summers

Attached Thumbnails
Scalloped segmented bowl II-2012-10-24_18-47-06-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
mmunications...
On 11/08/2012 07:42 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I don't see any photo. I want to mention that I really liked the dark
outlines of the spalting.

Nope - didn't go through. Guess I'll have to read the Pan manual.
Sigh. I'm a guy. I hate that. ;-)

Let's see if this works from good ol' Thunderbird...

A photo came through. I am not sure what I am looking at, but there is a
photo here.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/09/2012 05:16 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
mmunications...
On 11/08/2012 07:42 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I don't see any photo. I want to mention that I really liked the dark
outlines of the spalting.

Nope - didn't go through. Guess I'll have to read the Pan manual.
Sigh. I'm a guy. I hate that. ;-)

Let's see if this works from good ol' Thunderbird...

A photo came through. I am not sure what I am looking at, but there is
a photo here.

OK - let's try this again. Stupid ISP didn't propagate my post from
this morning. Sigh.

When I built up the rings, I did a top half which contained the scallop.
Here's a shot of the top half, not mounted on the lathe, and another
shot of the whole bowl on the lathe but not ye turned.

The shot I posted yesterday was of the the top half on the lathe. I was
making sure it ran true when mounted before gluing on the bottom half...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

Attached Thumbnails
Scalloped segmented bowl II-2012-10-23_17-49-30-jpg  Scalloped segmented bowl II-2012-10-29_18-39-08-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very nice, and quite a complex set of pieces to make the bowl.
What glue is good for this application?
I have a lathe and have done mostly spindles.
I never made a bowl.
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:

OK - let's try this again. Stupid ISP didn't propagate my post from
this morning. Sigh.

When I built up the rings, I did a top half which contained the
scallop. Here's a shot of the top half, not mounted on the lathe,
and another shot of the whole bowl on the lathe but not ye turned.

The shot I posted yesterday was of the the top half on the lathe. I
was making sure it ran true when mounted before gluing on the bottom
half...
...Kevin

It's not working for you Kevin. Why not just post your pictures on a free
web picture site, like Photobucket or one of the others?

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/12/2012 5:52 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
jloomis wrote:

OK - let's try this again. Stupid ISP didn't propagate my post from
this morning. Sigh.

When I built up the rings, I did a top half which contained the
scallop. Here's a shot of the top half, not mounted on the lathe,
and another shot of the whole bowl on the lathe but not ye turned.

The shot I posted yesterday was of the the top half on the lathe. I
was making sure it ran true when mounted before gluing on the bottom
half...
...Kevin

It's not working for you Kevin. Why not just post your pictures on a free
web picture site, like Photobucket or one of the others?

Actually I see three separate pic posts by Kevin. Maybe it is not
working for you.... Are you not seeing the 3 posts with pics?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:

OK - let's try this again. Stupid ISP didn't propagate my post from
this morning. Sigh.

When I built up the rings, I did a top half which contained the
scallop. Here's a shot of the top half, not mounted on the lathe,
and another shot of the whole bowl on the lathe but not ye turned.

The shot I posted yesterday was of the the top half on the lathe. I
was making sure it ran true when mounted before gluing on the bottom
half...
...Kevin

It's not working for you Kevin. Why not just post your pictures on
a free web picture site, like Photobucket or one of the others?

Actually I see three separate pic posts by Kevin. Maybe it is not
working for you.... Are you not seeing the 3 posts with pics?

The one I responded to is exact as it appeared. There was no photo(s)
included. OE does not have any problem with attachments and I always see
them, so it seems it has to be on Kevin's end. The binaries newsgroup in
which I read these things likewise has no problem propogating binary posts.
I had seen previous pictures he posted but this post says he was trying
again since a previous attempt failed. Well - his text came through here,
but not his pictures. Don't know what is going on, but with all of the
problems he's having it just seems easier to use a web site for images.

Did you see pics in the post I replied to?

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:

[...]

Yes, that post had 2 pictures. The top pic had a glued up ring setting
on a white surface. The bottom pic appeared to be that above ring plus
another mounted on his lathe. His post 11/11/012 12:41 AM

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:

[...]

The post that began "OK - let's try this again." did have photos
attached and they turned up. I can see them on both my home and work
networks (two different ISPs and news sources). Other's responses
indicate they saw the photos too...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
"In the history of the world, no one has ever washed a rented car."
- Lawrence Summers
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/13/2012 3:16 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

Did you see pics in the post I replied to?

The post that began "OK - let's try this again." did have photos
attached and they turned up. I can see them on both my home and work
networks (two different ISPs and news sources). Other's responses
indicate they saw the photos too...

...Kevin

I bet he is thinking, I hate it when I think it is his problem and find
out it is not. LOL

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/13/2012 3:16 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

Did you see pics in the post I replied to?

The post that began "OK - let's try this again." did have photos
attached and they turned up. I can see them on both my home and work
networks (two different ISPs and news sources). Other's responses
indicate they saw the photos too...

...Kevin

I bet he is thinking, I hate it when I think it is his problem and
find out it is not. LOL

I bet he's not. I didn't see the pictures - whether I simply missed them or
whatever. If I did, it was an honest mistake so I have nothing to be
thinking about.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

OK - let's try this again. Stupid ISP didn't propagate my post from
this morning. Sigh.

SFWIW, run OE6 for e-mail and Astraweb for news group
to pick up the binaries.

Have no trouble reading Kevin's posts.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/13/2012 4:59 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 11/13/2012 3:16 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

Did you see pics in the post I replied to?

The post that began "OK - let's try this again." did have photos
attached and they turned up. I can see them on both my home and work
networks (two different ISPs and news sources). Other's responses
indicate they saw the photos too...

...Kevin

I bet he is thinking, I hate it when I think it is his problem and
find out it is not. LOL

I bet he's not. I didn't see the pictures - whether I simply missed them or
whatever. If I did, it was an honest mistake so I have nothing to be
thinking about.

Give that man a trophy for attending! The scroll bar is used to display
content that will not fit on your screen. ;~)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/13/2012 3:16 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

Did you see pics in the post I replied to?

The post that began "OK - let's try this again." did have photos
attached and they turned up. I can see them on both my home and
work networks (two different ISPs and news sources). Other's

...Kevin

I bet he is thinking, I hate it when I think it is his problem and
find out it is not. LOL

I bet he's not. I didn't see the pictures - whether I simply missed
them or whatever. If I did, it was an honest mistake so I have
nothing to be thinking about.

Give that man a trophy for attending! The scroll bar is used to
display content that will not fit on your screen. ;~)

Scroll Bars??? What in the hell will they think of next? These darned
things amaze me!

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/13/2012 3:16 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

Did you see pics in the post I replied to?

The post that began "OK - let's try this again." did have photos
attached and they turned up. I can see them on both my home and
work networks (two different ISPs and news sources). Other's

...Kevin

I bet he is thinking, I hate it when I think it is his problem and
find out it is not. LOL

I bet he's not. I didn't see the pictures - whether I simply missed
them or whatever. If I did, it was an honest mistake so I have
nothing to be thinking about.

Give that man a trophy for attending! The scroll bar is used to
display content that will not fit on your screen. ;~)

Scroll Bars??? What in the hell will they think of next? These darned
things amaze me!

Yeah Scroll Bars, just above the coin slot. ;~)