DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Finished Deck (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/347412-finished-deck.html)

jloomis[_2_] October 6th 12 04:55 PM

Finished Deck

Old Deck was rotten, and wobbly.
Railing were failing.
Stairs shot.
Also railing blocked view from interior windows.
I lowered the deck and modified the stairs.
Got rid of the built in planters from the old deck.
Making new plant stands, and small bench possible.

Leon[_7_] October 6th 12 05:00 PM

Finished Deck

On 10/6/2012 9:55 AM, jloomis wrote:
Old Deck was rotten, and wobbly.
Railing were failing.
Stairs shot.
Also railing blocked view from interior windows.
I lowered the deck and modified the stairs.
Got rid of the built in planters from the old deck.
Making new plant stands, and small bench possible.

Very nice. You mentioned the old rails blocking views, new deck lower,
are you leaving rails off this go round?

Buddy[_5_] October 7th 12 04:05 AM

Finished Deck

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 07:55:29 -0700, "jloomis"
wrote:

Old Deck was rotten, and wobbly.
Railing were failing.
Stairs shot.
Also railing blocked view from interior windows.
I lowered the deck and modified the stairs.
Got rid of the built in planters from the old deck.
Making new plant stands, and small bench possible.

Stunning! Very professional results.
Looks to be 25 - 30 ft. wide and maybe 24 ft deep?
Such a transformation. Client must be overjoyed.
Great job!

Ed Pawlowski October 7th 12 04:58 AM

Finished Deck

wrote:

Old Deck was rotten, and wobbly.
Railing were failing.
Stairs shot.
Also railing blocked view from interior windows.
I lowered the deck and modified the stairs.
Got rid of the built in planters from the old deck.
Making new plant stands, and small bench possible.

Your work is very nice, but I don't like the design. If I'm looking
at it correctly, you have to go up and down four steps every time you
go in and out.

I hope your client is relatively young, healthy, and has no arthritis
yet. When we have dinner on the deck, it takes a few trips to bring
out the food, dishes, access the grill, etc. Four steps would make it
useless for us. Do you want to carry a tray of drinks using two hands
down four steps?

OTOH, the old deck was pretty ugly and a better rail design is needed.
Not sure of code, but as some lower height no rail is needed so it
would offer a better view. Looks like there was a step or two on the
old deck. I'd have raised, not lowered it. My deck is 8' off the
ground.

Hope you are not offended, but it is an honest opinion and may be
helpful to others contemplating a similar project. Think about what
your knees may be like in a few years.

Lee Michaels[_3_] October 7th 12 08:12 AM

Finished Deck

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Hope you are not offended, but it is an honest opinion and may be
helpful to others contemplating a similar project. Think about what
your knees may be like in a few years.

No problem for me. My knees are fine. My hips, on the other hand...

jloomis[_2_] October 7th 12 03:44 PM

Finished Deck

Yes, you could find the stairs a problem.
The real problem is the design of the house....
I was dealing with that aspect and since I did not design the house,
I had to go with what existed.
The railings on the upper deck "block" the ocean view when sitting inside.
The owners did not want the view blocked and insisted I build the deck so
that an unobstructed view
be the object.
The only way I could do this is by making the entire deck down, so that the
main deck is under 30" thus no railings needed.
The upper deck I really wanted to cut down on the "promenade stairs" but
would have to put railings up that were 42" height where
no stairs were.
So, the design, the owners wishes, and the code all played a role in this.

Any suggestions are gladly listened to and appreciated if you have any ideas
that would solve the railing issue, the view issue, and the stairs.
john

Ed Pawlowski October 7th 12 04:58 PM

Finished Deck

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 06:44:56 -0700, "jloomis"
wrote:

[...]

I can see their point, the old deck rail was rather ugly. Perhaps the
original owner wanted privacy over view.

Any rail that meets code is somewhat an obstruction so lowering it
would made a big difference. I'd still probably put a single
horizontal rail so drunks know when to stop.

Even though code does not require a rail, you can still get sued if
someone falls. There is a case now in CT where a woman tripped on a
brick walk. Insurance company said they would cover all her medical
expenses, but the husband that was not even there is suing for his
"pain and suffering"

Leon[_7_] October 7th 12 05:43 PM

Finished Deck

wrote:

[...]

I can imagine a ramp over the stairs at one end might solve the climbing
problem if it should arise.