DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Conceptual-Tree House (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/347154-conceptual-tree-house.html)

jloomis[_2_] September 30th 12 03:32 PM

Conceptual-Tree House

Client wants a tree house built, and not attached to trees.......
This is a simple 1" to 1ft. scale model of a prototype.
Also the Redwoods are very dense, and I cannot dig a footing,
so I may have to put in a slab of concrete.....or post type anchors......???
hummmm.
john

Lee Michaels[_3_] October 1st 12 12:08 AM

Conceptual-Tree House

"jloomis" wrote in message
Client wants a tree house built, and not attached to trees.......
This is a simple 1" to 1ft. scale model of a prototype.
Also the Redwoods are very dense, and I cannot dig a footing,
so I may have to put in a slab of concrete.....or post type
anchors......???
hummmm.
john

Interesting model. How did you make the stairs?

This reminds me of the old fire towers. I have seen a couple miniatures of
them. They had the stairs underneath them. Something like that would be
easier to build, I think. And the stairs need handrails! I know, it is
just a model.

Along the idea that it is a tower and not a tree house, I would build it as
a tower. And I would just get some of those circular concrete molds. Dig a
hole, put the form in and pour your cement. Again, as a tower, you want to
emphasize the "verticalness" of the structure. A slab would not look as
good or appear "as vertical" as a support that follows the vertical lines of
such a structure.

Take a look at how the old fire towers were built. That should give you
some ideas. And if you have six or eight corners on the structure on top,
you could have a leg underneath each corner. That would make it stronger
and give it more support. It would be a unique structure too.

Any way, my thoughts on the subject. I would make it strong and stable.
You are going to have lots of fun building the structure on top. Start at
the bottom and go from there. It looks like you will have to hand carry
every piece on this thing.

Ed Pawlowski October 1st 12 01:01 AM

Conceptual-Tree House

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:08:42 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

Interesting model. How did you make the stairs?

This reminds me of the old fire towers. I have seen a couple miniatures of
them. They had the stairs underneath them. Something like that would be
easier to build, I think. And the stairs need handrails! I know, it is
just a model.

Along the idea that it is a tower and not a tree house,

But won't you lose a lot of floor space? With a fire tower, occupants
are mostly looking outside from the perimeter. In a tree house, you
want to have more "living space" and an outside entry does that
better.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] October 1st 12 01:22 AM

Conceptual-Tree House

"jloomis" wrote:

Client wants a tree house built, and not attached to trees.......
This is a simple 1" to 1ft. scale model of a prototype.
Also the Redwoods are very dense, and I cannot dig a footing,
so I may have to put in a slab of concrete.....or post type
anchors......???

Think I would use Sonotubes as a form and pour pole anchors
rather than a slab.

Do you have to concern yourself with a frost line?

If so, Sonotubes eliminate the problem as well as make setting
anchors straight forward.

Looks like a neat project.

Lew

jloomis[_2_] October 1st 12 02:57 AM

Thank You for the replies.

Yes, I will probably use sono tubes...
Trouble is the roots of the trees are nightmarish.
We will see how that goes.
No problem with frost here either.
Yes, I think a slab would not go well.
I thought about using "modular anchors" the type that screw into the ground,
and putting one of those in each sono tube.
Like the type the gas and electric uses to anchor guy wires with.
So, yes, there will be railings, and yes, a very rustic construction.
I would like to use "milled" redwood, that is 2" x6" and 6" x 6" etc. etc.
The kind that is rough, for the framing.....interior will be pressure
treated floor joist,
and 2x6 pine tongue and groove floor.
I would like to use that on the roof too.
Then a cedar wainscott, and sheetrock up the walls with a rough texture,
"hobbit style"
Of course I need some round/octagon/windows, and doors.
I would love to kant the walls outward......hummmm?
Use a tie strap around the top plate, and also a skylight on the ridge top.
Cedar shingles the exterior, and red comp roof, to give it a fairy tale
look.
What a project.
I still have to work out a budget....it is expensive.....
John

jloomis[_2_] October 1st 12 03:27 AM

Conceptual-Tree House

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
b.com...

"jloomis" wrote in message
Client wants a tree house built, and not attached to trees.......
This is a simple 1" to 1ft. scale model of a prototype.
Also the Redwoods are very dense, and I cannot dig a footing,
so I may have to put in a slab of concrete.....or post type
anchors......???
hummmm.
john

Interesting model. How did you make the stairs?

I used gator board and hot glue gun.
Gator board is great for model making and it is instant stick.......
This is a "rough" model, but a person could get carried away....
john

Lew Hodgett[_6_] October 1st 12 04:10 AM

Thank You for the replies.

"jloomis" wrote:

Yes, I will probably use sono tubes...
Trouble is the roots of the trees are nightmarish.
We will see how that goes.
No problem with frost here either.
Yes, I think a slab would not go well.
I thought about using "modular anchors" the type that screw into the
ground,
and putting one of those in each sono tube.
Like the type the gas and electric uses to anchor guy wires with.

"modular anchors" sound like a real winner, especially when
you consider the roots.

Lew

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 3rd 12 12:30 AM

Thank You for the replies.

jloomis wrote:
Yes, I will probably use sono tubes...
Trouble is the roots of the trees are nightmarish.
We will see how that goes.
No problem with frost here either.

Why bother with sonotubes and piers then? It's a tree house, right? What
kind of loads and weights is it going to be subject to? It can easily be
ground mounted on a frame base, or even a frame base that is anchored into
the ground with screw type anchors. Eliminates all of the issues with
roots, customer not wanting a footer, etc. And - is there even a need for a
slab? Sometimes we can over-engineer simple things.

Yes, I think a slab would not go well.
I thought about using "modular anchors" the type that screw into the
ground, and putting one of those in each sono tube.

Yup - that's what I was talking about above, except I don't understand why
you feel you need the piers with the sono tubes.

--

-Mike-

jloomis[_2_] October 3rd 12 03:04 AM

Thank You for the replies.

I agree.
I would want to somehow not build it to fail either.
We do get winds, 120 mile per hr.
We do get earthquakes.......? WHEN

But I do not want to over build.
Pressure Treated posts with screw anchors would be fine.
I am thinking of simple, sturdy alternatives....
without the scar of footers and such....
John

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 3rd 12 03:17 AM

Thank You for the replies.

jloomis wrote:
I agree.
I would want to somehow not build it to fail either.
We do get winds, 120 mile per hr.
We do get earthquakes.......? WHEN

But I do not want to over build.
Pressure Treated posts with screw anchors would be fine.
I am thinking of simple, sturdy alternatives....
without the scar of footers and such....
John

Well - now it's time for my thoughts... so an earthquake comes along. Is
that tree house really your biggest concern? Why in the world would you
build a tree house with earthquake standards in mind? Ok - I'll ask
again... Why? It's a doggoned treehouse. So it blows over in a 120mhp
wind. Again - it's a damned tree house. Everything around it is going to
be gone at that point, or enough damage will have been done that will that
tree house really matter?

--

-Mike-

Dave in Texas October 3rd 12 03:14 PM

Conceptual-Tree House

1 Attachment(s)
"jloomis" wrote in message ...

Client wants a tree house built, and not attached to trees.......
This is a simple 1" to 1ft. scale model of a prototype.
Also the Redwoods are very dense, and I cannot dig a footing,
so I may have to put in a slab of concrete.....or post type anchors......???
hummmm.
john

In 1991 I laid awake many nights building this in my head and trying
NOT to put a nail or screw in this big live oak. In fact, there is not a
single nail anywhere in it. There are lots of galvanized hex head and
carriage bolts and nuts. And, nowhere does it touch the tree.
My son was five that year. He almost never went up there.
I realized I had built it for myself.

About ten years ago we got a new next-door neighbor whose two sons were
seven and ten. I gave it to him for the price of disassembling it. He's
gone now and [unfortunately] rents the house. But he fort still stands in
the back yard next door. Dave's Folly.

Dave in Texas

jloomis[_2_] October 3rd 12 04:03 PM

Conceptual-Tree House

Dave's Folly:

I understand.
Although I always, in my mind, question some clients ambitious projects,
I am the "band" so to speak and not the dancer.
I think it may be their childhood dream, and yes, they do live in quite a
tree covered
acreage.

I am wondering, if I do get the job, and if I do, how to price it, and
figure time into it.

Here is a Web Page Article that they wanted me to review for ideas:
The Crystal River Tree House, Built By Green Line Architects And David
Rasmussen (PHOTOS)
Google this and you will see what they are aiming for.
John

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 3rd 12 04:14 PM

Conceptual-Tree House

jloomis wrote:
Dave's Folly:

I understand.
Although I always, in my mind, question some clients ambitious
projects, I am the "band" so to speak and not the dancer.
I think it may be their childhood dream, and yes, they do live in
quite a tree covered
acreage.

I am wondering, if I do get the job, and if I do, how to price it, and
figure time into it.

Here is a Web Page Article that they wanted me to review for ideas:
The Crystal River Tree House, Built By Green Line Architects And David
Rasmussen (PHOTOS)
Google this and you will see what they are aiming for.
John

That's quite the tree house! Pricing a thing like that might be better
addressed by guys like Swingman since it is very similar to building a
house. My seat of the pants guess (based on nothing....) is between $10K
and $20K. Maybe I'm all wet on this - but it sure looks like a major
project.

--

-Mike-

Leon[_7_] October 3rd 12 06:35 PM

Thank You for the replies.

On 10/2/2012 8:17 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
jloomis wrote:
I agree.
I would want to somehow not build it to fail either.
We do get winds, 120 mile per hr.
We do get earthquakes.......? WHEN

But I do not want to over build.
Pressure Treated posts with screw anchors would be fine.
I am thinking of simple, sturdy alternatives....
without the scar of footers and such....
John

Well - now it's time for my thoughts... so an earthquake comes along. Is
that tree house really your biggest concern? Why in the world would you
build a tree house with earthquake standards in mind? Ok - I'll ask
again... Why? It's a doggoned treehouse. So it blows over in a 120mhp
wind. Again - it's a damned tree house. Everything around it is going to
be gone at that point, or enough damage will have been done that will that
tree house really matter?

Sure it is a tree house Mike, but common sense tells you that an earth
quake is unpredictable and can come at many moment. Say you have
several people/kids up in the tree house when the big one comes.. Yeah
it is a tree house but lives may be at stake.

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 3rd 12 10:01 PM

Thank You for the replies.

Leon wrote:

Sure it is a tree house Mike, but common sense tells you that an earth
quake is unpredictable and can come at many moment. Say you have
several people/kids up in the tree house when the big one comes.. Yeah it
is a tree house but lives may be at stake.

Sure - but come on Leon... do we build things for kids to play in with
earthquakes in mind? We can reach out and create reasons but is that really
how we go through life?

--

-Mike-

Lee Michaels[_3_] October 3rd 12 10:42 PM

Thank You for the replies.

Leon wrote:

Sure it is a tree house Mike, but common sense tells you that an earth
quake is unpredictable and can come at many moment. Say you have
several people/kids up in the tree house when the big one comes.. Yeah it
is a tree house but lives may be at stake.

Sure - but come on Leon... do we build things for kids to play in with
earthquakes in mind? We can reach out and create reasons but is that
really how we go through life?

Mike, you are looking at this the wrong way. This should be viewed as an
opportunity to build a unique, creative structure that will fulfill multiple
functions. Think of the possibilities! You could install armor on the
sides with gun ports. Very handy for repelling zombie attacks. And since
zombies move slowly, they are easy to defend against up there in that tower.
You have the ability to observe the surrounding countryside. You know what
is going on. It keeps you out of harm's way if a tsunami suddenly appears.
Earth quakes, floods, windstorms, hurricanes, volcanoes, etc. could be dealt
with in a strong fortified structure like this. And with all the weapons and
sniper rifles up there, it is a perfect environment for children to learn
firearms safety! Don't be such a pessimist! ;)

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 4th 12 12:11 AM

Thank You for the replies.

Leon wrote:

[...]

Damn! I had not thought that far. You're right. But - the gun ports need
to be at head height in order to be effective against zombies.

--

-Mike-

Leon[_7_] October 4th 12 12:17 AM

Thank You for the replies.

On 10/3/2012 3:01 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Sure it is a tree house Mike, but common sense tells you that an earth
quake is unpredictable and can come at many moment. Say you have
several people/kids up in the tree house when the big one comes.. Yeah it
is a tree house but lives may be at stake.

Sure - but come on Leon... do we build things for kids to play in with
earthquakes in mind? We can reach out and create reasons but is that really
how we go through life?

Think Mike!!! If I live in a location where earth quakes are common,
YES I would build for the possibility. ESPECIALLY IF KIDS ARE INVOLVED.

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 4th 12 12:53 AM

Thank You for the replies.

Leon wrote:

Sure it is a tree house Mike, but common sense tells you that an
earth quake is unpredictable and can come at many moment. Say you
have several people/kids up in the tree house when the big one
comes.. Yeah it is a tree house but lives may be at stake.

Sure - but come on Leon... do we build things for kids to play in
with earthquakes in mind? We can reach out and create reasons but
is that really how we go through life?

Think Mike!!! If I live in a location where earth quakes are common,
YES I would build for the possibility. ESPECIALLY IF KIDS ARE
INVOLVED.

If I lived in an area where that was such a real possibility, I would not
build the damned tree house. Think Leon!!!

--

-Mike-

Leon[_7_] October 4th 12 02:31 AM

Thank You for the replies.

Leon wrote:

Sure it is a tree house Mike, but common sense tells you that an
earth quake is unpredictable and can come at many moment. Say you
have several people/kids up in the tree house when the big one
comes.. Yeah it is a tree house but lives may be at stake.

Sure - but come on Leon... do we build things for kids to play in
with earthquakes in mind? We can reach out and create reasons but
is that really how we go through life?

Think Mike!!! If I live in a location where earth quakes are common,
YES I would build for the possibility. ESPECIALLY IF KIDS ARE
INVOLVED.

If I lived in an area where that was such a real possibility, I would not
build the damned tree house. Think Leon!!!

Putz comes to mind, Mike

jloomis[_2_] October 4th 12 05:00 AM

Thank You for the replies.

Its a Job.....
It should be strong and not some junk structure like at "Burning Man"
Yes, if you look online under tree houses you will see some real works of
art...
I do not turn down too many jobs and if I am going to build it better stand
well.
If a big one did come, many houses that are engineered with big bucks would
also
be prone to failure anyway......
Oh well.
just trying to build a nice structure, that may last a few families, a
little time.

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 4th 12 05:10 AM

Thank You for the replies.

jloomis wrote:
It's a Job.....
It should be strong and not some junk structure like at "Burning Man"
Yes, if you look online under tree houses you will see some real
works of art...
I do not turn down too many jobs and if I am going to build it better
stand well.
If a big one did come, many houses that are engineered with big bucks
would also
be prone to failure anyway......
Oh well.
just trying to build a nice structure, that may last a few families, a
little time.
john

That's pretty much where I started out from. When I looked at the link I
was more than a little surprised at the extravagance of what was shown on
the site. Good for ya if you can get the work. It's certainly beyond what
most of us call tree houses. I still think a guy like Karl can offer the
best advice on pricing something like this. The damned this is almost a
house...

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 4th 12 05:21 AM

Thank You for the replies.

Mike Marlow wrote:
jloomis wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah - and don't let Karl talk you into a custom set of kitchen cabinets
for this thing...

--

-Mike-